Motif vs Matinee?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPD

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Motif and the Matinee?

They seem to have identical dimensions, same sensitivity, same frequency response stats, crossover points, impedance, and a set of soft dome tweeters, electrostatic midrange, and 2 x 5" woofers.

Confusing....

There is also a substantial price difference, although I can't figure out why.

Last edited:
Paper cone woofer versus aluminum cone woofers. $300 more for the Motif.

You know, now that I think about it more, I'm probably better off without a center channel and just using a phantom.

I don't really need to fill a coverage hole, and the integration hassles probably aren't worth it, anyway.

We ran with a phantom center for a few days, and the people in the sweet spot didn't say anything. The people outside of the sweet spot noticed a difference.

I looked at buying a single Vista for a center, but settled on the Stage.

People tell me that the center channel is the most important for home theater setups. If this is the case then why do they insist on putting a giant screen in front of it?

I bought the Motif right before the Matinee came out. I never got to compare them, but suspect the aluminum cone woofers of the Motif are a little faster and crisper sounding. The Motif also comes with an adjustable stand and wall-brackets, whereas the Matinee does not include the adjustable stand.

We ran with a phantom center for a few days, and the people in the sweet spot didn't say anything. The people outside of the sweet spot noticed a difference.

We actually don't have any seating that's not in the sweet spot, so I'm beginning to think I don't need a center.

Back