Motif as surrounds

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
I currenty have summits front, stage center, vignette for rear surrounds, velodyne DD 15 sub. How much improvement will the motif be used for the surrounds instead of the vignette, for home theater?

I would not expect any improvement. The Motif is a center channel first and formost IMO. The Frescoes are better and play louder than the Vignettes but the difference is not great. If you can find some Scripts as demos or on sale used, this would be a true improvement over the Vigettes.

On their website it shows them as center and front right and left and surrounds. Thank you. Any more opinions, or anyone using motifs as surrounds?

Last edited:
Scrit for surrounds

Ron,
Stick with something electrostatic/hybrid without a tweeter. I would recommend using the Script or Script i. You can wall mount or stand mount the Scripts. The tweeter in the Motif will probably be too obtrusive for use as a surround. I compared the Script i to the Fresco, the Script blends better with my Aeons in the front. In addition, the Frescos sounded a bit mechanical, the Scripts sounded more natural, more like music. I have a Cinema i as centre, I personally find it's tweeter to be a bit too bright, by now, i'm sure it is broken in.
Chris

If you search this site, you might find another post on this very same issue. I will summarize what the club elders have concluded, "do not use this speaker for anything but the center channel". If you mount the speaker vertically, the horizontal dispersion will not be that great (look at the design) and the vertical dispersion will create all kinds of reflection problems. The same goes for horizontal placement in a surround setting. The vignette, fresco, and especially the script would be great for surround application (I have the motif for my center with vignette surrounds). For center channel application, I believe it performs quite nicely.

I just purchased the Motif speakers for my surrounds. I placed them horizontal, and angled them down about 23 degrees. They blend much more with the summits than the Vinettes do. Overall sound is improved for movies and 5.1 channel sacd music.

Last edited:
I am having a hard time with the pictures. If someone can send me their email address, I can send pictures over. Maybe you will have better luck uploading. I sized the pictures down for email, as small as my camera will take. I am still over the file size to upload pictures for this site. Thanks, Ron.

Last edited:
The vignette, fresco, and especially the script would be great for surround application

Correct me if I am wrong, but the scripts are no longer made.

martin logan 007.jpgIf this works this is the Motif used as a surround at approximately 23% angled down.

This is a picture off my system. McIntosh 205, McIntosh 402, McIntosh 871, Primare SP31.7, Martin Logan Summits, Stage, Velodyne DD 15 Sub, Richard Gray Pro 400, Monster 5100, Motifs as surrounds, Parasound Ztuner v.2, Parasound Zpre2 Preamplifier behind Stage speaker. The preamplifier used for outside speakers. HD direct tv box with DVR, and a 71 inch Samsung DLP. MX 3000 remote. Two 20amp dedicated non arching breakers. A larger picture on the next post.

Attachments

• martin logan 002.jpg
    martin logan 002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Back