Monolithic power?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
As most of you know about 4 months back I got a set of ML Monolith IIIp. These are wonderful speakers. At the moment I’m powering them with a Conrad Johnson MV65 tube amp rated at 55 WPC. The combination is good and sounds beautiful. Still I feel the Monolith’s are lacking the power they need to be driven as they should. I have grown to love the sound of my CJ equipment. I love the warm sound from the CJ pre and amp. Still I feel the Monoliths need for more power. As luck would have it I now have the funds for a new amp. I’m leaning towards the CJ premier 350. This amp sells for $10,000.00 new and can be had for $4,700.00 to $5,000.00 used. Everything that I have read about the Premier 350 says it is one amazing amp.
Before I pull the trigger I want to make sure I’m getting the best sound / equipment for the money. Is this the best amp for my 5k budget? Would a Pass, Krell, McIntosh or Sandars ESL or anything else for that matter be a better fit?

Shanling T100 CDP -> Conrad Johnson PV-14LS2 -> ??? -> Monolith IIIp and Depth sub (set at 45Hz).

Gotta say that if you like the MV 65 you're gonna love the Premier 350. It maintains the "glow" that CJ is known for with better drive and extension at both ends, IIRC.

If I was going to spend that kind of money for an amp, I would insist on an at home demonstration before I buy.

I could be wrong, but I think Rich was able to audition his Sanders amps before buying them. I was at the website the other day and those amps sell for around 4k (new).

That said, I doubt you will be disappointed with the 350.

Erik

As most of you know about 4 months back I got a set of ML Monolith IIIp. These are wonderful speakers. At the moment I’m powering them with a Conrad Johnson MV65 tube amp rated at 55 WPC. The combination is good and sounds beautiful. Still I feel the Monolith’s are lacking the power they need to be driven as they should. I have grown to love the sound of my CJ equipment. I love the warm sound from the CJ pre and amp. Still I feel the Monoliths need for more power. As luck would have it I now have the funds for a new amp. I’m leaning towards the CJ premier 350. This amp sells for $10,000.00 new and can be had for $4,700.00 to $5,000.00 used. Everything that I have read about the Premier 350 says it is one amazing amp.
Before I pull the trigger I want to make sure I’m getting the best sound / equipment for the money. Is this the best amp for my 5k budget? Would a Pass, Krell, McIntosh or Sandars ESL or anything else for that matter be a better fit?

Shanling T100 CDP -> Conrad Johnson PV-14LS2 -> ??? -> Monolith IIIp and Depth sub (set at 45Hz).

Cherian,

I have listened to many an amp. My back still hurts from lifting the heavy suckers. I did not have a chance to hear everything, but just about everything - I did not hear the BAT 600 SE (too big and heavy for my shelf) nor the Pass 350.5 (no dealer in Chicago), and the Krell evo is a little out there. Based on what I heard, it would take 2-5 times the price to beat the CJ 350. It may be the best one box SS amp ever made. I am a CJ convert. Come by my house and hear for yourself.

Cherian, I suggest a shootout. Get a Sanders amp and a CJ 350 on 30 trials and see which one works best for you.

I'm dying to try a Sanders amp myself, but am afraid that will immediately part me from my $4K :)

I'm dying to try a Sanders amp myself, but am afraid that will immediately part me from my $4K :)

Oh, no. With your system, I think you must have the monoblocs for your front three channels and that is $4,000 per amp! But I expect if you sweet talk Roger, he will give you a quantity discount. ;)

As for your question, Cherian, I think you will love the sound of the CJ Premier 350. For the savings, I think I would buy it used which limits your ability to audition risk-free.

I expect you would also love the Pass Labs X-350.5 and Sanders Sound Systems ESL Amplifier, although they would not be quite as warm as the CJ. They are both incredible amplifiers. But if you like the CJ sound, go with the 350.

Cherian, I suggest a shootout. Get a Sanders amp and a CJ 350 on 30 trials and see which one works best for you.

Cherian,

If you want to bring by Burke's Sanders amp (it's only 50 lbs), we can blind fold you and run the tests.

The two amps have quite distinct sonic signatures, not unlike tubes vs. SS, that one could not be mistaken for one another. CJ has a fuller, tubelike midrange and a more pronounced, SS-like bottom end. The Sanders is much more subtle ("neutral"), with a crystal clear high end; it is very beautiful and musical in its own way. It would be tougher to choose between the Sanders and the Ayre V1xe, if one did not have any preferred taste.

Hello David,

I would love to listen to the CJ and the Sanders amp side by side. Kill two birds with one stone I'm up for that. I’m out of town till April 6th but if Burke is game maybe we can try for the weekend of the 12th.

Thanks
Cherian

Shoot out at Cherian's

It will have to be on the 13th. The 12th is our anniversary and we have plans for the day.

But I am definitely game. Will bring the stereo and the mono blocks.

I expect you would also love the Pass Labs X-350.5 and Sanders Sound Systems ESL Amplifier, although they would not be quite as warm as the CJ. They are both incredible amplifiers. But if you like the CJ sound, go with the 350.

I would LOVE to try any/all of those! Bet they would make my Prodigy SING!

Back