Monolith I or II?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les_garten

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out which Monolith I have.

The serial number is 0498L-2

Anybody have any ideas?

OK, If '88 then quite likely a Monolith I then. But I could not say for sure.

Have you done any changes to them over the years?

Guessing the woofer could definitely use an update, and the crossover could either use new caps, or all-out replacement with an active crossover.

I could not do any changes, never could get the wood off the side. The woofers are original, need to be replaced or refoamed. They never had a reputation for much. What would be a relatively cheap crossover?

Definetly replace those woofers.

For a crossover, it depends on your skills, if willing to try, a DBX DriveRack Venue360 is a great unit.
I can send you a pre-configured file to load. But even then, it's geeky.
Otherwise, a Marchand analog crossover might do. But that can't time-align the woofer and panel. But still, better than a passive.

How do you use these crossovers? I am single ended and every crossover I've looked at is balanced?

I guess what I am looking for is a single ended crossover which I have not found.

Any recommended woofers?

Last edited:
A great source for audiophile single-ended crossovers is Marchand. The XM9 with crossover modules for 250 or 300Hz is where I'd start.

That means the woofer will need to be clean out to 500Hz, and be suitable for a vented enclosure (please confirm, IIRC the I is a vented design? ). Can you also determine the enclosure size, as we need the interior volume to find the right match.

Post a picture of the back connector block on one of your Monoliths, please.

Since it is a II, I think you might get away with only having to physically replace the woofers with the same Peerless I used, add that Marchand with XO at 300Hz, add a power amplifier for the woofers, and wire it up as per the Bi-amplification description in the manual. No further surgery required.

I can't believe Gayle originally recommended a 6dB/octave XO at 125. That would have the panel trying to output significant energy at 60Hz. No wonder people thought MLs were amplifier killers. A 24dB/octave at 300 is much cleaner, and your amp will thank you.

Here's a pic of the connectors.
ML.png

A great source for audiophile single-ended crossovers is Marchand. The XM9 with crossover modules for 250 or 300Hz is where I'd start.

That means the woofer will need to be clean out to 500Hz, and be suitable for a vented enclosure (please confirm, IIRC the I is a vented design? ). Can you also determine the enclosure size, as we need the interior volume to find the right match.

It is a vented enclosure. I'll have to measure it.

What Peerless driver were you using?

Thanks for the pic of the connectors.

So here are the steps:
1. Remove All straps from that terminal block, none will be used in Active mode.
2. Wire up the system as depicted here (vector PDF also attached)

MonolithII-2-Way-Active2-2.jpg

Attachments

• MonolithII-2-Way-Active2.jpg
    MonolithII-2-Way-Active2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 7
  • MonolithII-2Way-Active.pdf
    325.3 KB · Views: 9
That one is more of a sub-oriented design. In a vented 3 Cubic Foot cabinet, it will play lower than the other Peerless. But the price is a heavier cone (meaning higher THD in the mid-bass while simultaneously playing low-end). It has sufficient performance to work as the only low-end in a 2-way system, so if you never plan to add a sub, then this might be a good choice.
But for best panel integration the 830669 has the lighter cone and cleaner upper-end. Since there is a lot more music that range, I'd favor that over ultra-low end reach.

Latest posts

Back