MLO <--> TapTalk app integration, bogus 'banned' messages

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, there have been some reports that the TapTalk app is telling MLOC subscribers they have been banned when they try and access the MLOC. Yet, when loging in via a desktop browser, their user ID works just fine, and there is no problem reading or posting.

This even happened to me on my iPhone. Quite disconcerting to see that message, but the fix is simple enough.

Step 1 - Delete MLO from list of TapTalk forums you follow:

First, launch TapTalk on your device, then tap the 'View All and Manage' text below the forum listing tiles, when the new list of 'My Groups' is shown, scroll the the entry for the MLO and tap the menu-expansion symbol to the right of the name to expose a pop-up dialog that allows you the option to 'Unfollow', select Unfollow to delete the MLO entry.

Step 2 - Clear the caches in TapTalk

From the root screen in TT, click the 'Me' icon in the lower right corner of the screen. Then Tap on the 'Settings' option, and in the Advanced Options area of the settings list, tap on 'Clear Cache' to empty any cruft.

Step 3 - Re-add MLO Forum to the TapTalk app

For belt-and-suspenders, you could reboot the mobile device at this point to double-ensure no cached data. I did, because I have 45 years of experience with software development ;)

Launch TT, and tap the 'Add More' tile in the Groups list. Type 'Martinlogan' and the search list should show the MLO as the top choice, select it. Depending on how the cache clearing when, it will ask you to 'Follow' and then login to your MLO account. and that should be it.

For me, I forgot to clear caches, and when I re-added the MLO forum, I got the 'banned' message again, but was able to work around it by tapping on the 'hamburger' menu (little icon on the upper right of the screen) that shows me account options and I was able to login from there, and once the creds were supplied, I was logged in and could see the forum threads.

Hopefully this allows us all to leverage TT for notifications and participation.

I was wondering why forum participation had dropped off in the past year or two, and this is likely a major contributor.

I received 3 or 4 messages a few weeks ago saying I had been banned. I don't use TapTalk and I don't remember exactly where I received the message.

My first thought was "Well I guess you have finally done it". Then to my surprise and happiness I was able to still participate.

Yes, I just tried access in an 'incognito' window and saw the 'banned' message as well. I think that's a side effect of the lock-down currently in place until all the spam-bot activity is under control.

Latest posts

Back