ML Surround Speaker Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejn1111

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm slowly changing my 5.1 HT room over to ML speakers. Currently, I have Script-i's as my mains and Motif as my center. My seating area is a sectional sofa butted up against a rear wall about 18 feet from the fronts. Currently I have my rear speakers from my old system in use which are Paradigm Reference direct radiating in-walls mounted 80% up on the side walls pointing in the same plane as the rear seating area (about two feet from the rear wall mounted on the side wall). The reason i have inwall direct radiating speakers is I've always thought dipoles or bipoles need to be pointed at the seating area that is away from the rear wall so it can create a null directly at you and enveloping indirect sound. Now for ML options, I'm debating whether to get Motion 4's mounted on the side walls in the same spot as my inwalls slightly pointed towards the seating area or Motion FX. Obviously there is a cost diff between the two and lastly, since im not away from the back wall, the null effect won't be there so maybe i should stick with direct radiating speakers. later I can add two more Motion 4's to the rear wall firing down and foward for a 7.1 system. Appreciate any insights.

ps another pair of script-i are a possibility but i have pillows, lamps etc blocking a direct view and given their directional nature, maybe another option is better.

Thanks,
ejn1111

Hola. Guess what? I am using a pair of Motion 4 as my surround speakers with my CLXs and Motif at front!. They do blend very nice and I am very happy with them. Perhaps they will do the same thing in your system. Trust your ears and happy listening!

I agree with Roberto. Also keep in mind that the Motion 8 and 6 can be used for rears, if you really want to. They are not listed as LCR (to my knowledge) but they can be used as such.

Did either of you guys audition the FX? Just curious as not many people have experience with them.

It is another good option too. I am using the Motion 4, because it is easier for me the installation. Sound? About the same, the FX is bigger and for me its like dipolar, because it uses two tweeters firing opposite directions, perhaps more for surround configuration... happy listening,
R.

Yes I have had limited time with both the FX and FX2, and both are awesome choices, but I do feel the FX2 is worth the extra money.

For sure the FX2 because of the 6 1/2 inch cone and double sized motion tweeters . But as good as they are it takes away from the full stat sound in the setup. What I did is get 2 martin logan matinee center channels and use them for surrounds .Using the ML center channels gives you a wider dispersion and more sound to fill the room providing your sitting down and you have them at ear level

script i's as your mains? Hmmm. Can you go with something bigger for your mains and move your scripts to the rear? That's would I would do.

Thanks all. I'm interested in the taking away from the stat sound comment as this has been a concern of mine as well. But my budget doesnt permit adding stats to the rear (unless i pickup a used set of script-i's... I bought my fronts on Ebay for $800). No doubt the FX2 is better but my hope was that when crossing over at 80HZ the effect would be diminished and the FX could provide enough ambient fill. I just always worry about spending that much ($1300/pr) for an effects channel. I would rather put the money in a beast of a subwoofer.

script i's as your mains? Hmmm. Can you go with something bigger for your mains and move your scripts to the rear? That's would I would do.

This would be the easiest solution but i have a built in cabinet waist high that goes wall to wall across the front. Previously, I had bookshelf speakers sitting on top of the cabinet (which was perfect for ear level). So no room for floor standings.... I mounted the script i's upside down on the left and right of my 113in screen and they sound actually quite good with a sub... without a sub it would be a different story of course. I think they loose a little on the "richness" as probably the larger stats but they are surprisingly adequate. I did some reading and I'm not the only one using as mains. I guess my view is they are perferct LCR's in a setup. They also look sweet when hung on wall. But for rears, the "look" may be too heavy in my room (from a decor standpoint) and like I mentioned, i may have some pillows/lamps that would be in the line of hearing.

Unless you listen to a lot of multichannel music, I wouldn't worry about not having electrostats for rears. I use Vignettes in my combo and they work fine.

Back