McIntosh solid state owners -- output tap for Spires?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveneumann

Reaction score
Hi,

My McIntosh 402 just arrived and I was wondering what you have found to be the best output tap to use with Spires (or Summit).

I am currently breaking in the amp with the 2 Ohm taps, but probably won't be able to make good comparison with the 4 Ohm until the amp breaks in.

Once the amp settles in, I'll write a review compared with my Mc275.

Thanks,

Dave

I had the best luck with the 2 ohm tap on the 252 with Spire, Summit X and CLX...

(Sorry I forgot to answer your PM the other day!)

The diff between 2 and 4 isn't huge. Curious to see what your findings are...

Thanks Jeff!

I appreciate your quick response. I'll keep the Spires on the 2 Ohm tap for now until things settle in.

Thanks,

Dave

Mine was set up in the 8 olm tap. Summit and 402. I have not tried 4 or 2 olm taps. I had a professional installer set up my equipment, and never changed it. I am learning that speaker wire and interconnects, make a huge difference. Must be treated like a component. Room acoustics also.

I use the 4. 'Never tried the 2, however. Something else to play with one of these days...

My take on it was Goldilocks and the three bears. The 8 tap seemed a little loose and bloated to me. If that is all I had, it would have been acceptable, but barely. The 2 tap seemed like the system was strangling. Very lean and not to my liking at all. If that is all I had, the amps would have been history. Now the 4 tap is exactly what I was looking for. Nice, authentic bass, smooth mids and accurate highs.

I think you'll need to try all three and pick your poison. None are right and none are wrong. I tried a couple sets of wires and while a difference, the same effects mentioned above followed with minute changes.

I'm using the WireWorld now and have no immediate desire to change anything.

Gordon

I fully concur with Gordon, I use the 4ohm taps with the best results, but have tried both the 8 and 2 ohm, to my dissatisfaction.

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone!

That is why this site is so great...quick transfer of knowledge and experience! I'll go back and forth between 2 and 4 and see which generates the biggest uncontrollable grins.

The amp continues to break in nicely, but after only 6 hours it's hard to make any meaningful comparisons with my Mc275.

Dave

Perhaps the 252 is a little different. But the observations you guys had with the different taps is right on the money... That's the way its supposed to work.

Latest posts

Back