Martin Logan drawbacks/negatives?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does ml sound with mp3s?

As long as the source is recorded well and the mp3 has a high bit rate it should sound pretty good. As good as the CD or vinyl? That's for you and your ears to decide. High bit rate Mp3's sound fine on my EM ESL's. Also I haven't heard the CLX but I can only image that they are more revealing than my EM ESL's...

I did the same to some extent. My old room was far too small for the speakers and equipment but I knew one day I would be moving to a much bigger room.

And when I did move I knew I would have no funds for Hifi! So I made sure I bought what I could when I could. Now I am a happy man in my nicely sized room!!

M.

Hi Boycer,

You're actually in a very good position in that you have some time to determine what you really want to match your listening habits and preferred musical genres. Martin Logans (especially the CLX) are incredibly revealing. Tch0rT is absolutely right about MP3 bit rates... and it's most definitely applicable to these speakers. Basically, garbage in, garbage out. I think Gordon's advice is appropriate as well. Take some time to really look around at other options as well. There's certainly a very wide array of choices, especially if your budget is in the $10K+ range.

That said, I've owned a lot of different speakers over the decades (Sonus Faber, Gallo, Maggies, Apogees, other Logans, etc) and I can resolutely say that none of them compare to the finesse, clarity, and articulation of the CLX - in my opinion, of course :)... and as Necro added, CLX most assuredly need a sub, or two as well.

Now, Gordon might sing praises for his MBLs as well. Perhaps another option for you to consider too.

Cheers and good luck with everything!

Last edited:
Todd,

As you know, there are so many good products out there to choose from. My original point was that ML's tend to expose the "garbage" more so than other products. And then there is the issue of "synergy". The ML's, for better or worse, are extremely sensitive to all upstream hardware and the quality thereof. So that issue needs to also be considered in the transducer selection.

I like the MBL 116's because they load my room more uniformly (fewer frequency anomalies) but I do find them more "forgiving" and less transparent, at times, than the Summits. Panels do things that no other speaker design can replicate.

I hope boycer does discover the ML magic but knowledgeable about the factors that allow them to perform at optimum.

Gordon

Just an FYI, at a recent CLX Truth in Sound event, John of Peachtree and I used a Grand Integrated with stunning results at a that dealer show. He also demoed hi rez versus 192K compressed stuff, followed by questions about what people liked. Shockingly, many liked the compressed. The point was that great gear made that stuff very listenable. I have found that the CLX, although revealing as all hell, don't make you pay a harsh price for listening to less then ideal material. Also, that Grand Integrated did a hell of a job. They also used Montis at CES to great effect.
On another front, $12,750 is exactly half price. Since i know what dealers pay, I suspect you are looking at an "each" price if it is coming from a dealer and not a private sale.

On-point as usual GG.

Thanks and btw, we are all STILL waiting for your updated pics :p (unless you've posted some and I've missed them?)

Just an FYI, at a recent CLX Truth in Sound event, John of Peachtree and I used a Grand Integrated with stunning results at a that dealer show. He also demoed hi rez versus 192K compressed stuff, followed by questions about what people liked. Shockingly, many liked the compressed. The point was that great gear made that stuff very listenable. I have found that the CLX, although revealing as all hell, don't make you pay a harsh price for listening to less then ideal material. Also, that Grand Integrated did a hell of a job. They also used Montis at CES to great effect.
On another front, $12,750 is exactly half price. Since i know what dealers pay, I suspect you are looking at an "each" price if it is coming from a dealer and not a private sale.

It was a private sale of CLX pair by a guy on here in the classified section is asking $12,750 for the pair. I thought what a deal, maybe I should buy even though I am not ready to really buy yet. I am going to be patient and wait. I will look into the MBL Gordon is talking about, and the dealer 80 miles from me has Summit X, CLX in stock, also carries B&B 800 series, and about 45 minutes further I found someone that carries Wilson Audio. I will probably be waiting a year now and really try to get this right the first time. Thanks for all the help. Course about 10 years ago I had a chance to play my Metallica and Sarah McLachlan on Martin Logan and the 800s and liked the ML better. Just heard stuff I have never heard before and it was like you were right their live with the ML.

Thanks everybody,
Mark

Last edited:
I listen to well made mp3's quite frequently on my CLXs with Submersive subs... love it! But yeah, if its a poorly made MP3..you want it out of there asap. But most of mine sound great!

I am the one selling the ones he is talking about though :)!

EDIT - you just mentioned metallica...funny I had Enter Sandman and Fade to Black mp3s playing last night at reference level... awesome!!

Last edited:
I listen to well made mp3's quite frequently on my CLXs with Submersive subs... love it! But yeah, if its a poorly made MP3..you want it out of there asap. But most of mine sound great!

I am the one selling the ones he is talking about though :)!

EDIT - you just mentioned metallica...funny I had Enter Sandman and Fade to Black mp3s playing last night at reference level... awesome!!

Yep, this is the man with the deal. Just for clarification, what are we considering good mp3. Like if we put our cd on the computer, then to our system or to itunes, then to iphone or ipod? The wife actually gave me the ok to buy them. Maybe I will run to the dealer 80 miles away to listen to them.

Good MP3 would be done with a program like Exact Audio Copy at 320kbps bit rate. 256 can sound fine too.

Good MP3 would be done with a program like Exact Audio Copy at 320kbps bit rate. 256 can sound fine too.

But ........why would you bother when it is just as easy to select the "FLAC" option? Why? There is no point.

After you have FLAC, you want 320k out of there ASAP.

I agree... if you are just making your own rips, sure. When I am downloading from somewhere not always a choice though. From his question, it seemed like he also didnt know what to look for in a good MP3... that was what I was really getting at.

Although... I put flac and mp3 320kbps files on the same media and play both back without knowing which is which and try to guess. I am not always right.

This is the info I would have given. Back in the day when I would burn an album of mixed songs I would use 192kbps & up, I never went below this, although in saying that I always tried to find 320kbps or better. Listening fatigue was always a factor at some time.

I agree... if you are just making your own rips, sure. When I am downloading from somewhere not always a choice though. From his question, it seemed like he also didnt know what to look for in a good MP3... that was what I was really getting at.

Although... I put flac and mp3 320kbps files on the same media and play both back without knowing which is which and try to guess. I am not always right.

As you guys can tell, I am a new to all this. I appreciate all you information. So if buy the clx, I have the powered definitive sub that may or may not work, and have a denon avr which I know isnt what I really good enough. So what other electronics would you recommend for when I get a new house and if I am building a house and want to do a living room/ht/2 channel set up. what room demensions should I shoot for?

As you guys can tell, I am a new to all this. I appreciate all you information. So if buy the clx, I have the powered definitive sub that may or may not work, and have a denon avr which I know isnt what I really good enough. So what other electronics would you recommend for when I get a new house and if I am building a house and want to do a living room/ht/2 channel set up. what room demensions should I shoot for?

Lordy... those two questions alone could fill volumes :)

There are quite a few posts in this forum from folks who are either remodling or building. Search is your friend. In very general terms, stay away from square rooms. Also try to provide your speakers with an unbroken wall (behind them). Those two things alone will likely save you some grief. Another thing to consider is the floor. A joisted floor will tend to interact with low frequency energy in your room... so keep that in mind as well. I'm sure a number of others here will be happy to chime in as well on the subject of room geometry.

As for other electronics suitable for driving CLX... CLX are known to be highly revealing speakers. So whatever you have upstream should be high quality gear. For amplification (and we're talking north of 100W/ch) consider: Mac amps, Pass Labs, Sunfire, ModWright (mine), ARC, Rowland and the list goes on. IMO, you really need sufficient power for the CLXs. I tried driving them with a set of 80W/ch tube amps (Prima Luna) and they sounded wonderful at low to moderate levels, but ran out of steam at higher levels. There's no LF amp in the CLX (as opposed to something like the Summit/X), so your amp needs that have both guts and finesse.

Good luck!

I figured I was opening a big can of worms, so to speak. Guess I was looking as related to the CLX. Probably going to a dealer tomorrow that has the CLX on display and has MAC amps. Course I don't want to spend so much on my dedicated 2 ch/HT, I can't do a whole house and back yard system. Guess we will see. Think I read my Definitive powered sub puts out 1600w and has 2 10" woofers. So hopefully having 10s it can be detailed/tight enough, and I know it can play at high levles.

Glad I asked though, because I was wanting a nice open living room to the kitchen, etc.

Hi Boycer,

If you are "out" a year or so from pulling the trigger, I would not buy anything at this time. Just stay in touch with the products that interest you, go have a listen / kick the tires, and put the ultimate choice(s) on the "back burner" until you are ready to write the check(s).

Many things can change (prices, new models, etc.) in 12 months.

Gordon

Hi Boycer,

If you are "out" a year or so from pulling the trigger, I would not buy anything at this time. Just stay in touch with the products that interest you, go have a listen / kick the tires, and put the ultimate choice(s) on the "back burner" until you are ready to write the check(s).

Many things can change (prices, new models, etc.) in 12 months.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon. That is probably the smart move.

Last edited:
WOW..... I drove about 1hr 20min today to a dealer that had the CLX coupled with McIntosh Amp that was 2x450w, MAC preamp, and MAC CD player. What a great system!!!!! It sounded so good I couldn't help buy smile hearing it. Now I just need to figure out how to get the speakers and what electronics to put with them. Course that MAC stuff would be great.

Consider it your first date. :cool: Not to say that what you heard was not impressive but I hope you will audition other gear, in your own room, before you get married. ;)

GG

Latest posts

Back