Making new trim rails for SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tosh

Reaction score
I plan on making new trim rails for my SL3 in the next couple of months, and it would be pretty straightforward for me to run some extra pieces through the saw or router once it's set up. They will likely be made from MDF, then painted with gray spray primer (which happens to be a color that works with our stuff - although I will also make an extra set to be painted in another color). I will re-use the mounting pins from my original cherry rails.

I'm just tossing this up in the air for anyone interested: I have no idea what it would cost you for me to ship these (I'm in Santa Clara CA 95051), and I'd like to at least break even on the cost of materials or be offered something nice in exchange.

My workmanship is pretty good, and I would make sure all the rails fit on my own SL3 before shipping any. Think about it...

In the next few days I'll attach a CAD rendering of the styles I'm considering.

Last edited:
How did you know???

I was just thinking about calling ML to see if they had some unfinished rails for the SL3 that I could order. I was planning to paint them (really - what are the odds!). Give me some kind of idea on the price that you're looking for as I am certainly in the market. Thanks!

I hate to say it but Cherry rials can be painted really well. Its a shame but if they don't match you can seal them and paint them with a good spray paint .

I would just paint them as well! just sand them down a bit and use some good spray paint. A few light coats and you should be good to go!

Since I hate painting, I'll probably make the rails from composite decking material. It comes in different colors, but I have to go shopping to have a look first-hand.

As shown, these are slightly thicker (deeper) than the stock 3/4 inch (so the speakers probably won't fit into the original packing without swapping back to the originals).

FatJ: PM me.

Attachments

• SL3 Assy1 rail closeup.jpg
    SL3 Assy1 rail closeup.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 810
Last edited:
I think the chamfer and the extra depth will give the speaker a slimmer appearance (compared with stock rails) as well as accentuate the curvature of the panel.

Attachments

• SL3 Assy1 rail bottom closeup.JPG
    SL3 Assy1 rail bottom closeup.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 793
are you interested in trading your cherry rails for my oak rails ?
thanks

Good lord . I could have them rails looking like mirror glass before I would make a set ! I have made them and its not that easy. If you wanted a special wood I would say go for it, But to just have a painted pair. I would use your rails and spend some time prepping and you will get results like MDF with Cherry if prepped right.

Good lord . I could have them rails looking like mirror glass before I would make a set ! I have made them and its not that easy. If you wanted a special wood I would say go for it, But to just have a painted pair. I would use your rails and spend some time prepping and you will get results like MDF with Cherry if prepped right.

+1 I think you are opening a big can of worms with that rail project!!!

Tosh,

i say GO FOR IT!!!

It appears from your posts that you have a pretty good understanding of CAD and woodworking. Why ruin your beautiful Cherry rails by slathering them with black paint, when you can knock out a pair of replacements. That will only INCREASE the resale value of your speakers...

Anyone that tries to shoot down your idea just doesn't "get it".

I can't understand how anyone could, in good conscience, tell you NOT to take on a non-destructive DIY project like this. The only reasons someone should NOT be supported in their decision to make their own rails is if they are too lazy to do the work correctly, too unskilled to be allowed near a router and a table saw without adult supervision, or just plain too stupid to figure it out...

And you, sir, seem to be completely outside of all three of those categories.

My hat is off to you, and I say PRESS ON! I mean how hard can it be? Cut the strip to width, plane it to thickness, rout the inside campher and the outside edge bevel, and you're ready for the sandpaper and polish! Knock yourself out, bro. And I can't wait to see your results!

--Richard

Last edited:
Thanks, Richard: You say exactly what I think.

I looked at some composite (recycled plastic and wood) decking material made by Trex at Lowe's, but the sections I want in gray would have to be special ordered. So I need to pop into HD or somewhere else to see other manufacturer's selections. This material saws and routers well without special tools, but shouldn't be sanded or painted. The appearance up close is a bit more speckled than I wanted, but should look good from a few feet away (although a bit lighter gray than I wanted).

Also, while playing them quite loudly, I made the observation that since these rails do all the clamping of the ESL panel, making them thicker would give more clamping strength and resist vibration.

Since there is at least one member interested in my progress, here's April's update. I have decided to get a piece of gray Trex composite, some MDF, and possibly some poplar, which comes in nice streaky shades of gray and light brown. Now waiting on getting my friend's saw sharpened.

Also I made some nice copper jumpers on the CNC.

Attachments

• SL3Jumper small.jpg
    SL3Jumper small.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 620
Back