Looking to buy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaklands

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy some Sequel II's for $900.00. The original owner says everything is original on the speakers. I have not seen close up pics yet, but from what I have seen so far they look to be in very nice condition. He has the original boxes as well.

I've got some questions and your help is appreciated.

1. Is this a good price for the speakers. According to Orion it is.

2. How often do the panels have to be replaced. If these are original should I beware if they have never been replaced.

3. What kind of maintenance should one do with these type speakers to make the panels last?

As you can tell, I am a newb to electrostats. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Oaklands

Just so you know my stat panels are 12 years old and still going strong. Like anything it all has to do with maintains. Smoke free is the key. Has the speakers seen duty all its life or were they stored? If used did the owner vacuum them once a month? Regardless, count on changing the panels maybe not today but at some point. I know ML has just raised the price for new panels by a huge%. Call ML and find out what new panels will cost. I think $900.00 is a very fair price for Sequel IIs.

To make the panels last keep them away from direct sunlight, too much heat, dust, smoke, and vacuum the panels once a month.

Last edited:
I have a pair of original Sequels, with the original panels, and they sound fine. (probably not as great that they would with new panels, but they're still doing fine...)

A pair of Sequel II's for that price, if they are in decent conditions, is a pretty good deal. Even if you DO need to replace the panels (about $550/pr) it would be a pretty good deal--the Sequels with brand new panels outperform the Vista IMO (in this case, for MUCH less money), and have a MUCH bigger soundstage...

So if they're not too beat up, you might be onto something with this deal. If the seller has the original shipping boxes, then that's even better! Moving a pair of Martin Logan speakers without the boxes can be a nerve-wracking experience...

Good luck!
--Richard

Get the serial numbers to find the exact date of production by clicking here:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5178

I'll disagree with Dreamer about Sequel IIs sounding better than Vistas. Bass and panel integration on all the newer models is much more seamless than any of the 1st generation models. Remember, that is ML's 3rd hybrid, with the Monolith being the first, Sequel being the 2nd and Sequel II being 3rd.

They sold for 2400 new. 900 is WAY more than I'd pay, even for a minty pair from the original owner. I'd say 750 would make me think about it alot more, no matter how nice they are.. and I'd definitely replace the panels.

Sequel panels used to go for 650, but I believe that they had a price increase recently. Check with Jim Power at ML to verify. [email protected]

Back