local bands??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_slo

Reaction score
chances are, most people here would not object to trying out new music and local bands/independant labels are a great way for this...i was wondering if people had a few local favorites to share...

for myself, "Rhodes" is pretty good...softer rock (i guess) would describe them. they are out of Arroyo Grande (which is 20 mins south of San Luis Obispo)

http://www.myspace.com/rhodes

a good friend of mine turned me onto "ryan montbleau band" (think john mayer, but less polished). this band is out of the boston MA area

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/index.php

at each website, you should be able to find some full length samples of songs...

there are a few others that i have heard/seen, when i used to go around to random coffee shops (or taqueria in one case)...some of those bands were amazing! but never went anywhere so i couldnt refer you to any of them...but if any of you have a band website/myspace/etc or a local destination that you go to for good upcoming music, PLEASE share...if i ever get a chance to see another part of the country (or world) i would love to see the different local music scenes!...but for now ill make do with online samples/potential ordered CDs

happy listening!

~greg

Interesting topic...local bands. Living in Austin, Texas, there is quite a bit to chose from. The vast majority of music I've bought in the last few years is from local bands. Del Castillo is one of my favorites. They are kind of a latin, rock, flamenco blend. Lots of great acoustic guitar work, and great percussion. They been honored at the national music awards a few times, but haven't really broken big on the national stage (that I know of). However, their shows are getting harder and harder to get into.

Another recent favorite of mine is a band called The Brew. They are latin as well, but more jazzy...well, I'm not really sure how to describe them. They sound great on the Logan's though! They've been around Austin forever, but as far as I know, aren't really a factor nationally either.

For country, Robert Earl Keen is a local favorite, along with Kevin Fowler.

There are a few others that we still claim as local, but have chosen to 'share' with the rest of the country. Los Lonely Boys, used to do joint billing with Del Castillo a lot. Of course, Stevie Ray, who is importalized with a statue down by the lake!

The best local band from Boise, ID I can think of is XEX. Heavy metal with somewhat of a jazzy flavor to it. Vocals have an old school sound...think Iron Maiden/Judas Priest. Loads of talent in that band. The drummer especially. They are on MySpace. Check them out.:rocker:

Back when I lived in the Buffalo area, we had a great local band we used to go see in a bar located in a basement. This bar would hold 50-60 people and it would pack out when the band played there.

The Local band was called: Spyro Gyra

Some of you might have heard of them :)

Dan

The DC area has actually cranked out some noteable bands over the years, although most of them have remained at sort of the cult" status.

On the folk/traditional/celtic scene there are probably half a dozen bands like Kiva who are locally-known only, but make very good music. Hesperus has roots in DC, although I think they hail officially from somehere in New England. The Pirates Royale, if you're into Raunchy Pirate Music (tm) hail from the DC area, and are a regular at the Maryland Renaissance faire, as well as playing on the road all year long. I was at the Royal Mile (a GREAT Scottish pub in Wheaton MD) when they recorded their Live album, an it was a FANTASTIC show. Of course the bottomless pints of Guinness probably idn't hurt either...

Of course, the whole "garage band" movement of the Seattle area pretty much owes it's creative inspiration to a little DC band calle Fugazi. These guys were actually innovative, creating the genre of post-punk, post-hardcore rock pretty much on their own, rather than brewing up some sort of formulaic concoction of self-agrandizing commercially viable mope-rock like bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. It has even beet offered up by some writers that the whole genre of "Emo" was invented in DC by post-punks who were lookng for the "next big thing".

Blues, folk, punk, thrash, it seems that the DC music scene is full of the fringes and almost devoid of the mainstay of the American Commercial Music scene--Pop. Perhaps our local kids are so media-saturated with the lies, deceit, and artificiality of the Nation's Capitol that they don't have time in their musical lives to creat sonic bubble gum.

If a locale's music scene reflects it's culture than Washington DC must be truely a cesspool of lies, corruption, oppression, and greedy corporate sellouts, because the music scene here is all about truth (with a sharp, hard edge), beauty (sometimes with a mystical, spiritual side) and escaping fro it all...

--Richard

I highly recommend the music of a long-time close friend of mine. His name is Pat Huggins. He used to play around Huntsville a lot, but now he is a pilot (flies 727 freight planes) and records his own music on the side. He has two cds available and a third is currently in the works. His style is kind of bluesy rock and roll. Great lyrics, fine guitar playing, and some really competent back-up musicians.

Check out his website at:

http://pathuggins.com

Back when I lived in the Buffalo area, we had a great local band we used to go see in a bar located in a basement. This bar would hold 50-60 people and it would pack out when the band played there.

The Local band was called: Spyro Gyra

Some of you might have heard of them :)

Dan

I had a similar experience with a local band at a night club named Timothy's Two, in Framingham, Mass (no longer there).

In my case the local band was called Aerosmith, and you might have heard of them...:)

Peter

Latest posts

Back