Line Array

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
So ML have made a line array JonFo!!

Attachments

• 70362164_10157941070019095_4051591363559424000_n.jpg
    70362164_10157941070019095_4051591363559424000_n.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 435
Yep, I knew they were paying attention ;)

This is the new Statement 40XW in-wall speaker, a cool $20,000/each, yes each, because you need three to place behind your acoustically transparent screen, two on angled wall elements along the side of the HT and two more along the back. Complete with four or six Vanquish overheads and voila, a $150K 7.x.6 immersive setup.

I really like the design, and the extra-large AMT modules have me thinking about options for my side-speaker project.

The funny thing is, this is along the lines of the Monoray project I 'disclosed' last April, but I used ESL for mids/highs.

The 40XM use of AMT's is to give them broader near-field dispersion, which would be needed when the sides and rears are mere feet from listeners.

Much more info and links to reviews in our announcements post over here: http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...rpiece-CI-Series-including-new-Statement-40XM

One more pic from the show (cribbed from member cherian's post to the FB MLO page) :

ML_Statement40XW.jpg

Last edited:
To Jonfo, yes, evil minds think alike although we started this project almost 3 years ago now. the first prototype was played for us at the Xmas party in Lawrence and had us laughing out loud. what is missing in the image is the roughly 7 ft long back box that is 4" deep making these available to anyone in standard construction.
We do keep an eye out there and your work and input is appreciated.

So what is the frequency response on these?

To Jonfo, yes, evil minds think alike although we started this project almost 3 years ago now. the first prototype was played for us at the Xmas party in Lawrence and had us laughing out loud. what is missing in the image is the roughly 7 ft long back box that is 4" deep making these available to anyone in standard construction.
We do keep an eye out there and your work and input is appreciated.

Hi Peter, I bet that thing has massive dynamics. I'd love to have a glass of wine or two with Joe and the designers and talk about the evolution of this 40XW project.

I do plan to do a Monoray-type project with the Monoliths and SL3/Sequel panels. Plus some new GenII 9" panels for the new side speakers. Going all LineArray and Monopole in the next few years.

And if you ever need a beta tester, one with lots of measuring gear and knowledge how to use it, just let me know. I drive my development team crazy with all the data-driven feedback I give them on new products ;)

So what is the frequency response on these?

I'll let Peter or someone else chime in with specifics, as they were not listed in the Press Release.

But based on architecture alone, I can tell you these will have a very broad frequency-response range, likey down into the 20's on the low-end. Not that you'd ever want to run this as 'Large' in an HT setup, but you could realistically cross them over as low as 40Hz.
As for highs, well their existing AMT designs hit 20Khz, and a line array just allows the distortion metrics to be an order of magnitude smaller (i.e. none), and to also enjoy the dispersion characteristics of a line-array, and to recap, here are the benefits of a line array from my SL3XC posting:

Line arrays allow the designer to achieve these benefits:
• Contours the vertical sound dispersion such that floor and ceiling reflections are minimized
• Maintains a wide listening area with room filling, nearly constant sound intensity
• Provides exceptional dynamic range and linear performance

All speakers produce sound in both the near field (close to the speaker) and the far-field as distance is increased. Conventional point source speakers generate a spherical wavefront and they place the listener entirely within the far-field while line arrays can locate the listener within either near or far fields. For a line array, the near field is where the radiated sound resembles a vertical cylindrical wavefront much like the one generated by the ESL panel. It is this match of polar radiation and power curves that make a line array of mid-basses the ideal companion for an ESL.

Substitute line-array of AMT's + line-array of mid-ranges for "ESL" in the above and it applies to the 40XW.

After 13+ years with my SL3XC, I can tell you, it allows an ESL setup to have excellent 'dynamics' and the matching far-field coverage (i.e. the power curves match more closely than if bass were a point-source) are really nice to have. So much so I'm re-doing all the other speakers to match as soon as I can.

Which prompts me to make one other observation about the 40XW, if used in Home Theater deployments, it ideally should be deployed as matching L/C/R setup behind an acoustically transparent screen. If you can afford $40K just for L/R, you can darn well afford $50 to $60K for three. The difference in performance is huge.

Last edited:
Since the third cup of coffee is kicking in this morning, here are my thoughts on a killer setup using this new line (and keeping the rest mostly in the family):

Processor: Trinnov Altitude16 whose speaker re-mapping and leading-edge room correction can help compensate for the inevitable placement compromises and response challenges with in-walls

Fronts: three Statement 40XW's behind an acoustically transparent screen

Sides and Rears: four Monument 7XW

Tops: four Sistine 4XC

Subs: four Paradigm Sub2's, because why skimp now. And plan on wiring up 240v outlets near each one so they can deliver the max.

Amplification: three Anthem Statement M1 mono amps for the three fronts, a kilowatt+ per front Statement speaker should do the trick

One 5ch Anthem MCA 525 and one Anthem MCA 325 for a total of 8 channels to cover the four bed-channels plus the four heights.

Alternatively one P5 for the beds and one MCA 525, but that leaves a pair of unused channels, however, it gives more horsepower to the beds.

I didn't bother doing the math, as if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. But I can say, this would be part of a custom theater room with an overall budget north of $300K.

a bunch to answer.
frequency response is in the mid 40s(TBA guys do don't quote) as we aimed at a linear bottom that will hand off to subs very easily. Given the air volume in the back box we resisted creating that bump in the 60-80 hz area to keep it very linear. Even at that price, true subs will be involved in any manufacturers systems. Also, not trying to force bass, these things are VERY dynamic and without final numbers on efficiency being in, we are talking pretty high up there and they can be driven by some modest gear, even an AVR(no thinks that will happen) simply so your choices in gear widen. as to SPL, one of us during the Tool Time listening session said we hit 116 db at the back wall (27ft) As to the system we set up at CEDIA, it was the STR for the L, R and 525s to pick up the others with an AVM 60 so a fairly sensible stack with a total speaker/electronics package at the $100k mark. Best sound of show, by far the cheapest package with these aspirations and we feel pretty good about it. We had to use a Monument for center (practical issues) with 4 for side, rears, 1 pair of Tribute for side fill with 4 Dynamo 1600s and 4 Sistine for heights.
Nicest comments coming out of the room was that people for the first time heard Lady Gaga's footsteps when she came on to sing for the first time as well as when they leaned into to talk, you could hear what they said. this was the most popular demo cut at the show so everyone had it as a reference.
one comment. Joe V is well know but do know that Joe McCracken is very important part of engineering and had a hell of lot to do with how these turned out. The Two Joes are a good team. plenty of others in industrial design side of things are also big parts.

a bunch to answer.
frequency response is in the mid 40s(TBA guys do don't quote) as we aimed at a linear bottom that will hand off to subs very easily.

Understood, we'll keep it here. And a very good choice to optimize for linearity and low-distortion vs low-end. My line array is flat and clean into the high 40's's and yet I cross over at 60, sometimes 70Hz just to ensure the cleanest reproduction in the 60 to 500Hz range.

Given the air volume in the back box we resisted creating that bump in the 60-80 hz area to keep it very linear. Even at that price, true subs will be involved in any manufacturers systems. Also, not trying to force bass, these things are VERY dynamic and without final numbers on efficiency being in, we are talking pretty high up there and they can be driven by some modest gear, even an AVR(no thinks that will happen) simply so your choices in gear widen. as to SPL, one of us during the Tool Time listening session said we hit 116 db at the back wall (27ft)

Again, Bravo! Given the price points and location challenges for in-walls, multiple subs are a no-brainer.
I bet the dynamics are something to behold, 116 Spl at 27' if pretty impressive.
And good on getting efficiency up there while using passives. Any thoughts of an active version of this (with pre-packaged amplification)?

As to the system we set up at CEDIA, it was the STR for the L, R and 525s to pick up the others with an AVM 60 so a fairly sensible stack with a total speaker/electronics package at the $100k mark. Best sound of show, by far the cheapest package with these aspirations and we feel pretty good about it. We had to use a Monument for center (practical issues) with 4 for side, rears, 1 pair of Tribute for side fill with 4 Dynamo 1600s and 4 Sistine for heights.

Nice choice of gear, and for the money, yes, good value. Not surprised the reactions were favorable, but hopefully, you can have a dealer or customer do a three fronts 40XW setup in a dedicated and engineered room. That will blow your socks off.

Nicest comments coming out of the room was that people for the first time heard Lady Gaga's footsteps when she came on to sing for the first time as well as when they leaned into to talk, you could hear what they said. this was the most popular demo cut at the show so everyone had it as a reference.

Wide dynamic range and low distortion are a hallmark of great systems, and line-arrays go a long way in helping deliver that. Glad it set your demo apart from the 'loud' crowd ;)

one comment. Joe V is well known but do know that Joe McCracken is very important part of engineering and had a hell of lot to do with how these turned out. The Two Joes are a good team. plenty of others in industrial design side of things are also big parts.

Congratulations to the team! This is a very nicely executed line, I hope it has tremendous sales success, and it sounds like it's already achieving the positive reviews it deserves.

thanks for the kudos. as to the future, lets deliver a few sets first. There is still some time in terms of details to finish up on.
Keep on Frankensteining JonFo.
By the way, the room was engineered as a room in a room by a company out of Italy. Not overdamped like so many "treated" rooms helped keep life in the system. Heck of a site watching 4 fast moving Italians build it over the first two days. Yet another reminder of the room being half the sound. Wisdom used the same company so we did not have an unfair advantage.

Was this the speaker demoed last year in a dark room?

Wow, Devan looks good, dropped some serious weight !

Peter, interesting design, myself I have never heard a 'in wall' speaker produce a decent soundstage, these ??

Dave, well set up Line Arrays can be amazing. For several years, my 'best in show' sound at CES would go to the Wisdom Audio rooms with their in-wall ribbon line-arrays. Just magical.

I bet the Statement 40X is in that category, maybe even better.

I can't wait to hear them in person soon. If anyone installs them in the Atlanta area, ping me, please.

Dave, well set up Line Arrays can be amazing. For several years, my 'best in show' sound at CES would go to the Wisdom Audio rooms with their in-wall ribbon line-arrays. Just magical.

I bet the Statement 40X is in that category, maybe even better.

I can't wait to hear them in person soon. If anyone installs them in the Atlanta area, ping me, please.

interesting Jonathan, I will reserve judgement till the day I can hear them !

as for 'best of show', I've yet to hear anything rival the big MBL's !

Back