Lifetime of panels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmschnur

Reaction score
With all the chatter about replacement cost of panels, I wondered about their lifetime.

Some questions:

1. What are the factors that affect lifetime?
2. Are there differences between models in terms of lifetime?
3. What normal routine procedures can be practiced to increase lifetime?
4. What are the failure modes of the panels as a function of time!
5. How long can I expect my Vantage, and then my Montis panels to last?

Joel

With all the chatter about replacement cost of panels, I wondered about their lifetime.

Some questions:

1. What are the factors that affect lifetime?

I can't help with the other questions, but some factors to consider are:

* The cleanliness of your air. Particulate matter in the air (pollution, smoke, etc.) takes its toll on the panels. And of course, smoking in the same room will do the same damage to your speakers as to your lungs: coat 'em with a nice layer of tar and other noxious chemicals!

* Exposure to UV (e.g., sun light). Keep 'em out of direct sun light!

* Wild fluctuations in humidity and temperature.

There are probably others...

Yikes

I just called ML to purchase a pair of SL3 panels and was told that they would cost over $1300! When I called about 2 wks ago, they told me it would be $700 for the pair. What is going on??:mad:

I just called ML to purchase a pair of SL3 panels and was told that they would cost over $1300! When I called about 2 wks ago, they told me it would be $700 for the pair. What is going on??:mad:

I am surprised they quoted you that low. It seems all of the other panels have been quoted well over $2000.

When the panels were reasonably priced no one really worried about how long they lasted. $900 for a set of Monolith or CLS panels was acceptable even if they only lasted the 5 year warranty period. Now that the price is over triple the original cost lately, it is a main concern. I do not wish to pay $3000 for panels that can only last 5 years. For $3000 they should offer at least a 10 year warranty if not lifetime. In fairness the majority of the panels last longer, but it is still a crap shoot. Some get 10-15 years and others less.When panels were fairly priced and service a certainty you replaced them.The new direction ML has chosen lately it is a whole new ballgame.

Perhaps increasing their warranty on existing and new purchases to 10 years for the panels would help.

Joel

Just found out about this! I have CLSZ2 but it looks like Quads will replace these when the panels die.

Perhaps increasing their warranty on existing and new purchases to 10 years for the panels would help.

Joel

Would it help you? It certainly wouldn't help me. It is not the warranty that matters. It is the fact that I could have a very expensive pair of speakers in 10 years time (or 15 for that matter) that is worthless because of unavailability (at a reasonable cost) of a proprietary consumable part.

Back