Large room acoustics

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This thread addresses the different spatial sound acoustics of ML speakers in larger rooms. I would like to hear from people here if they experience similar sound distribution differences.

My two systems are placed in two entirely different locations and environments:

(a) one set uses CLS II's as front speakers with Aerius i as rear speakers (stereo and quadrophonic setup) in a room with an A-frame shape of some 4 m or 14' in central height, all wood inside an old Swiss barn from 1837, with carpets on a floor surface of 10.5 m x 6.0 m (35' by 20' approx.) and large windows inside the speaker separation zone. The CLS II's are about 4 m or 14' apart and I usually sit at around 60% or some 6 m away from them, so the Aerius are about 4 m in my back and some 3.5 m apart.

At a listening level height (my ears) of about 40" or 1 m, the CLS II's provide a relatively optimum sound distribution. When I get up to standing level, the sound from them is less pronounced, the sparkliness is reduced (I am about 1.8 m tall). Their optimum spatial cone seems to be from just under 1 m to some 1.3 m in listening height, very narrow. The CLS II's are just slightly raked back and when adjusting the rake, the distribution cone varies, of course.
The Aerius (when used in stereo mode) have a higher spatial volume of an almost equal sound distribution in height and planar space on a sidewards movement. When moving further back from the Aerius, say to 6 m distance, their optimum spatial sound distribution spectrum is at a height greater than 1 m and with further movement back from the speakers moves up slowly, as can be expected from their backward rake.

The other system (b) consists of a pair of Sequel II's in an old Dutch mansion with a living room of some 10.5 m x 4.7 m (35' by 15' approx.) and a ceiling height of 4 m (13'), conventional, i.e. square with straight walls, carpeted floor and lots of tall windows alongside one wall, furniture on the other. A large curtain can produce different acoustics as to dampening, etc. The Sequel II's are spaced about 3.5 m apart, slightly moved inwards and on their standard slant (backward rake).

When positioned about 4 - 5 m away, the stereo sound picture is starting to form and almost okay at the 1 m ear height for clarity from the panels, although already a bit higher than 1 m is better. Moving away to 6 m or even more, there is a dramatic improvement in stereo sound quality, presence and sharpness and clarity - albeit not anymore at the 1 m height but at around standing height of some 5.5' to 6'. Towards the end of the room at some 9 m from the Sequels, the optimum sound picture really is above my head (looks and feels funny standing on a ladder listening to music).

The Sequels are raked somewhat back and raking them forward with the knobs obviously brings the listening height down from ladder height to below standing. However, it seems to me that the woofers are in the wrong place - they should sit up instead of down (not a practicable solution, I know, but nevertheless - I even saw pictures of flying Sequels or the like suspended from a ceiling in some member's system here on the forum).

Comments from the community would really be welcomed if only I have a hearing impairment or if this generally is an accepted situation. I understand that ML must get the maximum sound at an ear level height at a given distance from the speakers, and thus a 'standard' room size, ergo their rake backwards. It just looks funny to rake them straight and forward when you are used to the speakers standing as you see them everywhere.

Needless to say, the sound is improved manyfold when you get into the correct spatial cone far enough back in a larger room and it really blows everybody's mind who comes to listen. I have sold three friends on ML by now (I hope eBay provides enough of them in Switzerland / Germany / Holland).

Oh, BTW, I have indulged in a bass subwoofer system (non-ML, as of now) with the CLS II's as suggested frequently here on the forum, it really does change the entire sound feeling with a pronounced low frequency from the CLS II's. Fortunately, I can just flick the (System 'B') button on the Marantz and get back to the natural CLS II sound. More bass is a better bass for me if it can be switched off, depending on the music.

Back