Just Picked Up a Descent i, Should I Also Use My Depth?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle Jack

Reaction score
Hello,
Today I picked up a Descent i for my ML 5.1 HT (Vantage, Stage, Vista, Depth) and was just wondering if I should go ahead and run both Subwoofers?

My Onkyo has Dual Subwoofer Outputs with individual Audyssey Calibration so I am thinking of going with it. Currently, I placed the Descent i where my Depth was and moved my Depth to the other side of the Room. So far, all I have done is Level Match with an SPL Meter.

I sit about 15 Feet from my Vantages and Stage so my room is fairly large. I also know it is advantageous to use dual Subwoofers, but I am not so sure about using different Models.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
JJ

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
JJ

Hey JJ,

While it can be a challenge to setup multiple subs, most of the time it's very much worth the trouble. Two sources *should* help to even out the LF response in your room, minimizing nulls, providing a better response across a wider viewing/listening area (i.e. multiple people will all hear better balanced audio). Like I said, it can be a challenge, but in general, two is usually better than one - and that goes for more than just subs ;)

The more subs the merrier

Hey JJ,

While it can be a challenge to setup multiple subs, most of the time it's very much worth the trouble. Two sources *should* help to even out the LF response in your room, minimizing nulls, providing a better response across a wider viewing/listening area (i.e. multiple people will all hear better balanced audio). Like I said, it can be a challenge, but in general, two is usually better than one - and that goes for more than just subs ;)

I am a subscriber to the "more subs" approach. There is actually some research to suggest that multiple subs, properly set up and tuned can eliminate bass nodes as or more effectively than equalizers in the signal path. To that end, I have two Descent-i's in the front and 2 Descents in the back. Like your subs, while not exactly matching, their voicing is close enough to make a successful combination. The main thing is to dial in enough bass so it is palpable but not so much that the subs call attention to each other. This can be done by SPL's or computer programs but ultimately your ears will tell you when its right.

Hello,
I have had both Subwoofers going now for about 2 Weeks and must say the SQ is amazing. So far, I have only Level Matched them with my SPL Meter, but I will run MultEQ XT soon as it Calibrates both Subwoofers individually.
Cheers,
JJ

Back