Issue with Summit Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pambs

Reaction score
Hi guys

I m facing an issue with one my Summits and i m trying to figure out what i have to do. A couple of weeks ago there was an electricity cut and i was not able to remove the plugs before the electricity came back

So when it came back the woofers started to rumble. I switched cables, plugs etc but i m still having the issue when i turn on the power. Even when i turn it off the rumble still continues for some seconds

Could you share your thoughts? Is the amp fried?

Does it have the same problem even with the speaker cables disconnected? Is it both woofers?

I had to replace an amp in a summit - it is a quick and easy job. The part was reasonable cost, too, but then again this was a bit before ML went crazy with price increases.

no i havent tried to remove the speaker cable. i will do that tomorrow then

yes seems its both woofers. Did you replace a specific part on your amp or you shiped the whole unit back? i'm located in Europe so shipping the whole amp might cost a lot

I replaced the whole amp. There are actually 2 amps in the chassis. However, I would suspect that the problem is not in the amp if both woofers are having the problem since they're both powered by their own discrete amplifier. There could be a problem in your primary amp that drives the summits. Disconnect the cables and see if the noise goes away. If not, it is probably one of the control boards or something internally generating the noise. If it does go away, plug the cable into the other channel on your amp that is currently hooked up to the speaker that isn't making noise. If problem goes away, chances are that the particular channel of your outboard amp is blown, not your speaker.

i have removed the speaker cables but i still have the same issue when i switch them on. Also the status led in the back is red. I will try to recerd a short video tomorrow to visualize the issue P

So the issue back in 2012 was that after electricity cut amd return it fried 2 amps. So a couple of weeks ago same thing happened. ML is asking 348$ for each one of them. Back in 2012 it was that price for 2 ampa and crossover

The question is what ahould i do to avoid that feom keep repeating? Surge protector?

So the issue back in 2012 was that after electricity cut amd return it fried 2 amps. So a couple of weeks ago same thing happened. ML is asking 348$ for each one of them. Back in 2012 it was that price for 2 ampa and crossover

The question is what ahould i do to avoid that feom keep repeating? Surge protector?

I would say a good line conditioner / surge protector,
Maybe a shunyata defender on each outlet?
Ask ML though, they will tell you for sure.

So i fried the amps for the 3rd time. Again same issue. Power cut and when electricity comes back it fries one of the amps. ML told me any power protection.

Can you guys tell me what you are using as surge protection?

thank you
Haris

Summit amp

Pambs: go to the post named summit amp by Khenegar there are a number of reply’s talking about similar problems and what they are doing. Good luck seems like there must be limited number of summit owners with this problem. I still have not solved mine yet with my summits I had the same thing happen to me but ml doesn’t have an answer yet. Even though it’s a known problem!

Any comments suggestions?

Here is what I would do. I would get all of my electronics out of the wall. I would consider a power regenerator. Some people may not agree but I have had nothing but good luck with my ps audio p10. Plug it into the wall - ask the company about safety w surge protection. And if they feel good about it - you will be getting better power as well to your components. Email Paul McGowan and tell him about your situation.

That is what I would do.

Thank you! Will review your post. Yes I believe they should do. Some kind of internal protection. It doesn't justify this spending and frustration, waiting time etc

Perhaps we can send them an email all together. I can prepare a document and we sign it

What do you think?

Sure will check this. Can an online UPS do the trick as well? Who is Paul? Apologies for my ignorance

Meanwhile i have ordered two of these

https://fliphtml5.com/pmxop/wsqm/basic

Paul is the owner of psaudio. His email is
[email protected]. You can go to their site www.psaudio.com
And read up. Btw. No need to pay retail for anything or buying used is how I got my p10. Not necessarily cheap but I just Think you have an issue w your power. 3 times and happened to both speakers at once? Is that right?

So i fried the amps for the 3rd time. Again same issue. Power cut and when electricity comes back it fries one of the amps. ML told me any power protection.

Can you guys tell me what you are using as surge protection?

thank you
Haris

Pambs, FYI, the Summit amps (ASC 200 from B&O) are easily obtained from open market suppliers like Parts Express

https://www.parts-express.com/icepo...er-with-power-supply-module-1-x-200w--326-208

and they cost a lot, lot, lot less than from ML. I recently had to replace all 4 of mine after they went soft.

Ben thanks man. This is the most useful post i have ever read! Are the specs and everything the same? I am based in Cyprus and our voltage is 230volts

Ben thanks man. This is the most useful post i have ever read! Are the specs and everything the same? I am based in Cyprus and our voltage is 230volts

It exactly the same board that ML will supply to you. In fact, it was Scott himself who suggested that I could get it for a lot less on the open market.

Hi guys

latest update

i had ordered 4 amps and they arrived today.Tried all of them, the speaker led lights up properly, indicator nn the back is green (when i had bad amps indicator was always red) and panel on playing as it should be. No bass or movement on n the woofers. I disconnected the panel speaker cable in there is low sound coming from the woofers, it gets louder if i raise the volume but still very low. I have also moved the complete plate from one speaker to the other and the problem continues to the other speaker. So nothing wrong with the woofers

Any suggestions on what could be the problem?? Really desperate at the moment

pambs,

I hope you got your bass speakers working again. It happened to mine once when I forgot to connect the speaker cable to the board after an ICE amp replacement exercise. Duh. 🙄

Low hum (even without input connections) appears to be a normal feature of all ML bass speakers and woofers, at least in my system.

One of the 4 ICE amps I got from ML 3 months ago died (kaput, red led showing) a few days ago. I wasn't able to elicit a response from ML, so I had to replace it with a new one from Parts Express. Speaker now working again.

Latest posts

Back