Impact of equipment rack on soundstage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Been a long time since my last post but I have still been regular lurker.

Over the years, my system has changed dramatically, the only unchanging aspect being ML (upgrade from Aeon i to prodigies)

Anyway...

I have a new room in a new house which is set up with some acoustic treatments on first refection points. As well, my equipment is on quadraspire racks between the speakers and set up so all equipment is lower than the panels. (pic attached)

I have recently acquired some beautiful looking and sounding!!!!! Mcintosh equipment (c50 - preamp and MC302 amp) which take up an extra space on my rack, therefore I need to put another shelf above to accommodate my CD player and possible future turntable. This will encroach about 45 cm (1.5 foot) into the space between the panels. Will that make much of a difference to the soundstage, or should I look for a different solution?

I am aware that all rooms and systems are dramatically different, although I am hoping that someone in this forum has experimented with this, and would love some insight into their experience.

I apologise for the untidy nature of my system, still setting up the new gear.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 159
There are some that would rather look at their glitzy equipment rather than the artists that are playing.
My setup is similar to yours, I found when the equipment was between the speakers the sound stage and depth suffered a great deal.
Now it's all off to the side opposite my right shoulder and the image and depth was increased dramatically.
And your not now staring at your equipment, but looking at the artist/orchestral placements.

Cheers George

Hi George

I entirely agree that moving the equipment away from between the speakers would be be the best solution.
However, the nature of room precludes that as I have tri-fold doors to the right and rear of my sitting position and a bar area to the left.

I do confess that I love watching the blue meters on the macs with the lights out. While I'm sure it does impede the soundstage a bit, it sure brings a smile to my face when listening at night :)

Last edited:
I am not sure if the sonic difference for me is real or imagined but I, too, do not love a lot of equipment -- especially if tall -- between the speakers. (I have Prodigys too.)

Maybe consider another low stand behind the existing row of stands?

I am not sure if the sonic difference for me is real or imagined but I, too, do not love a lot of equipment -- especially if tall -- between the speakers. (I have Prodigys too.)

Maybe consider another low stand behind the existing row of stands?

That is actually a good idea! I can put the power supplies, QBASE and computer to the rear leaving the cd player and DAC at front.

Last edited:
Simply put, if you can avoid putting anything (with the exception of amps) between your speakers you'll be better off for it

Last edited:
That is actually a good idea! I can put the power supplies, QBASE and computer to the rear leaving the cd player and DAC at front.
Why not also put that massive power amp against the wall behind the speakers. You can only look at those meters for so long; I would find them distracting and hard on the eyes in the dark. But then, I never listen in the dark.

Last edited:
Why not also put that massive power amp against the wall behind the speakers. You can only look at those meters for so long; I would find them distracting and hard on the eyes in the dark. But then, I never listen in the dark.

I keep as much as I can completely hidden. The point is to listen to equipment, not look at it.

My wife has a bit of input on this :)

The point is to listen to equipment

Mark, IMO , this is a problem with too many 'audiophiles' ................ I prefer to listen to the music..............just bustin' your stones, I knew what you meant !

Mark, IMO , this is a problem with too many 'audiophiles' ................ I prefer to listen to the music..............just bustin' your stones, I knew what you meant !

It's funny but I've always considered the word "audiophile" to have negative connotations. While I've enjoyed the sound of many a great stereo over the years, I always considered audiophiles a bit loony.

Last edited:
Not claiming that I fall into the audiophile category but most of my extended family, wife included, thinks I'm a bit loony for my audio habits. I'm sure I am not alone in this situation though.

Latest posts

Back