I'm picking up my new amp this afternoon!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
After many many failed attempts..... finally, the time has come for me to bring home the biggest and baddest Rotel! :D :cool:

Yes, that's right, I'm finally replacing the limping RB1070 with Stesom's Rotel RB1090. I'm purposely not selling the 1070 for a week or two so I can do some more extensive comparisons and posting my findings on the Club Rotel forum on HTGuide.com and here.. but from my preliminary listening session over at Steve's house on his Summits (I brought my 1070 over there to compare to the 1090 and the Classe CA400), the 1090 is definitely a sweet amp for the price... giving a large large chunk of the Classe definition, without a large price tag.

This amp is going to be my present to myself for doing great on the USMLE Step 1 boards (the one I took a month ago)..... yay!

Look for pictures of the 1090 in my newly renovated setup in the upcoming days.

I'm also looking to add a Squeezebox 3 in a few weeks and a Zero Gravity Perfect Chair over Christmas to my setup...

Followed by a Rotel RCD1072... then some speaker wire and then calling it quits.

Hahahah... the journey towards nirvana continues. ;)

You did it!

Joey,

Enjoy your Rotel / Summit combination, you have earned it... :D

Looking foreward to your review and photo's as well... ;)

Good luck on the new amp. You've obviously been completely overtaken with the audiophile disease. What's the next step? Warning - do not audition a tube amp in your system unless you wish to be smitten!

... then some speaker wire and then calling it quits.
...then calling it quits. Yeah, that's funny. The first step to recovery is admitting you have an audiophile problem. ;)

I'm looking forward to hearing the comparisons.

Hey Joey,

Congratulations on your USMLE and your newly present. As one of the Rotel product owner, I am sure that the 1090 is a great amp, good value for money, no doubt about it.

... and calling it quits, you must be kidding me.

Regards, Transpa.

Craig said:
...then calling it quits. Yeah, that's funny. The first step to recovery is admitting you have an audiophile problem. ;)

I'm looking forward to hearing the comparisons.

Why he can stop drinking anytime he wants to... :)

Joey,
I did own a Rotel RB1090 and thought it was a great amp. I am positive you will really like it. My only suggestion is decide where you want to put it cause that is one heavy sucker. :eek:

I still have my RCD1072 and still feel this is a hard player to beat for the money. I just recently added a DAC to my system and made the RCD1072 a notch higher in sound quality.

Good Luck and congratulations!!!!

Jeff :cool:

HAHAHAH!!!

Eureka! I got it! I was a little late in picking it up from Steve - traffic was too much - but I made it and Steve was nice enough to demo some of his Audio Physic speakers and a few songs through his Classe powered Summits.... thanks Steve!

Anyway, I just got back and have taken some preliminary pictures of my current setup. You have to notice that it ISNT in my bedroom anymore! Yah! It's in the living room... which is now my Listening Room for all intents and purposes.

I still have to get some acoustic treatments from eBay... those 1" acoustic foams will be strategically placed behind the Summits to help out with the already excellent imaging.

Oh.. and I still need to get my Zero Gravity chair.. drool... soon soon...

Oh and the SB3 is coming!

Anyway... onto the pics:
I have ROOM!!! Extra, glorious SPACE!!!
86ebcbd9.jpg

The 1090 is as big as my current stack of amps/preamps/conditioner... yikes!
DSC00370.jpg

Closer look.. oh yeah... it's an upgrade alright!
DSC00371.jpg

Just a reminder of how the old setup looked in my old 1 room dorm...
DSC00342.jpg

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
I still have to get some acoustic treatments from eBay... those 1" acoustic foams will be strategically placed behind the Summits to help out with the already excellent imaging.
Which treatments are those? If Auralex, go with the 2" wedge foam. Stay away from Foam by Mail. Cheap yes, but no where near the acoustic properties that Auralex offers.

Also look at the GIK Acoustics panels as they are not that expensive and you can get color to match your walls. Here is the link: http://www.gikacoustics.com/index.html

The 242's are $50 each - you need to buy three. Put one behind each speaker and the other behind your listening position - as a start. Later on you could buy three more and put one in the middle of the speakers and two at first reflection point on the side walls.

Dan

Last edited:
Congratulations

It already looks at home in your place. As for the acoustic foam, I do agree with DTB300. Get the good stuff and be done with it. With your setup, the treatment should really help you dial in your speakers. Good luck with it and let me know if you need anything........Steve

Thanks for the well wishes Robin, Craig, Jeff, both Steves, Dan, Transparent, Boutrosa, everyone!
I'm looking forward to getting off my 32hr shift tomorrow to play with the amps! I need the SB3 to get here asap... :( .

The Rotel 1090 is wonderful....

Joey_V said:
Thanks for the well wishes Robin, Craig, Jeff, both Steves, Dan, Transparent, Boutrosa, everyone!
I'm looking forward to getting off my 32hr shift tomorrow to play with the amps! I need the SB3 to get here asap... :( .
Joey,

I think your Rotel 1090 is really wonderful with your new Summits but someday you may move on up to a Wavac HE-833.... For two mono blocks it's only $47,000.00 (USD) :D

Attachments

• 1044344960.jpg
    1044344960.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Robin said:
Joey,

I think your Rotel 1090 is really wonderful with your new Summits but someday you may move on up to a Wavac HE-833.... For two mono blocks it's only $47,000.00 (USD) :D

Holy Cannolly that's one big tube.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........Steve

The biggest tube I've ever seen...

stesom said:
Holy Cannolly that's one big tube.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........Steve
Steve,

I was wondering if any of you would notice, that the central tube on the Wavac HE833 is the size of a small gold fish bowl. The central tube is currounded by little white things at the base... It Hummugus...!!! :D :p :D

Robin said:
Joey,

Hahahaha... never Robin... never will I spend $50K on amps... ;) .

Ah... edited sig... that feels much better now. :)

Last edited:
Just sold the 1070 to a friend of a friend....

Boy... he was super impressed by the Summits/1090 combo... wow. I was, too, to tell you the truth. Man... now that I've A/Bed the 1070 and the 1090 side by side... there really is no comparison.

Cant go back... cant go back...

Thanks Steve!! :D :D :D

Congratulations, Joey. That looks like a great setup.

Joey, Just returned fom a 5 day rail trip troughout New England, Congrats on the new 1090, you know from our many conversations how that amp performs beyond it's price point. Jeff made a good point about positioning choose wisely it's heavy, as you already know ! Also don't put anything on top of it like you did with your 1070 !!

BTW, I know a guy whos has a "like new" Plinius SA-102 For Sale.............
Only Kidding !!! enjoy the new set -up kiddo !!

Latest posts

Back