I'm Hooked on HD DVD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munster

Reaction score
I went the frugal course and got the HD Upgrade for my Xbox 360 just to

make sure I really liked it. Well, the 300+ DVD's I've accumulated are no

longer watchable. HD Rules !

Even though my Panasonic AE-900 projector can not do 1080p the

720p looks awesome. I can see a 1080p projector in my future soon.

Also, to get the true Dolby DD+ I have other upgrades to make. Just

last month I was convinced my system was maxed, I was immune to Joeyitis

for at least the winter and I could just sit back and enjoy, No Way :(.

I am sitting back and watching how things play out with the 2nd generation players for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Right now from what I have seen, I like the picture on HD-DVD better, but I am not thrilled by the current line of players for either format.

Like you, in order to appreciate the new format, some changes will need to be made on the HT side of my electronics, so I am looking and watching that too.

Dan

I hate to be a Sony basher but it has been so easy lately. I am hoping for HD-DVD to win out since Toshiba is willing to pay the licensing fees to get the latest codecs (mpeg4 and vc1). Sony is sticking with mpeg2 which is inferior to mpeg4 and vc1. Also mpeg2 does not compress as well as the newer codecs thus negating the blu-rays advantage of more storage capacity.

Mpeg2 is the same compression scheme used by regular DVDs. You can get hi-def from mpeg2 by upping the bitrate but if you compare mpeg2 and mpeg4 side by side you will see that mpeg4 is superior.

Of course all that may not matter. The market will decide.

I hate to be a Sony basher but it has been so easy lately. I am hoping for HD-DVD to win out since Toshiba is willing to pay the licensing fees to get the latest codecs (mpeg4 and vc1). Sony is sticking with mpeg2 which is inferior to mpeg4 and vc1. Also mpeg2 does not compress as well as the newer codecs thus negating the blu-rays advantage of more storage capacity.

Mpeg2 is the same compression scheme used by regular DVDs. You can get hi-def from mpeg2 by upping the bitrate but if you compare mpeg2 and mpeg4 side by side you will see that mpeg4 is superior.

Of course all that may not matter. The market will decide.

Well, seeing as how Sony has been trying to force their will on the market unsuccessfully (like their proprietary Memory Stick Duo for cameras and the PSP, the UMD, and now Blue-Ray) I hope they fall on their faces.

I like choices and I like standards. I don't like not having a choice about a bad standard :)

I agree completely with social and charlie. Did they learn nothing from vhs vs. betamax? Wouldn't it be much easier and cost efficient to come up with a standard platform of the highest quality that everyone could design off of? How much R&D Money and Marketing Dollars are being wasted because they decided to come up with their own proprietary software platform that may not make it in the marketplace? Look at SACD and how little it is supported now. The infuriating thing is that it is ultimately we consumers who end up paying the price and wasting money on dead-end technology.

Personally, I am not going to buy into either technology for a long time. When one gets established and the bugs are worked out and the software and hardware prices reach a reasonable level, that is when I will consider buying in. I am often an early adopter of new technologies, but Sony has soured me on that as far as A/V is concerned. I love their new Bravia LCD screens, but refuse to buy one at this point because I hate their consumer-unfriendly business practices. OK, end of rant.

After swearing not to buy anything else until I get my new house, I went out last weekend and bought a 52" 1080p Sharp Aquos. I picked up the Xbox HD-DVD addon a few weeks ago and was pleased with most the movies on my Samsung DLP. Now I can just say WOW!! Chronicles of Riddick looks immaculate. Several other flicks look extremely nice, but so far Riddick takes the cake. And all the performance despite the godawful cables the 360 uses to connect to the TV. I am definitely a believer in 1080p now, after having huge doubts before. If anyone is looking at the Sharp LCDs, the 52" seems to perform substantially better than the 42" or the 46" did on display.

I had been holding out for the Sony Blu Ray, but with each passing delay have become increasingly frustrated. A couple of weekends ago I stumbled on to an RCA HDV 5000 (apparently a rebadged Toshiba with different cosmetics but equally clunky operation) deeply discounted at a COMPUTER store. I impulsively bought it and I must say it is a blast! I now have about a dozen HD DVDs. I haven't really had a chance to hear whether the audio from the analog outputs compares to my Lexicon DVD player, but through the SPDIF to my Myryad MDP 500 processor it is at least as good for movies (heard through my ML based system of Aeons/Logos/Scenario/Descent). The picture however is truly breathtaking-better than OTA HD from my DISH 622 and MUCH better than satellite HDTV. Blu Ray better get it together soon or HD DVD could win this "war" by simple default. At any rate I now have found that I can wait for Sony to pull their heads out of you know where without suffering that much fiscally. Hooray!

Things Sony has left to do:

1. Compete with HD-DVD players in the price catagory.

HD-DVD player - @$500
Blu-Ray -@$1000

I know that the PS3 is out there (if you can find one) but it is a clunky player at best and has a few annoying problems with blu-ray play back. It is a gaming machine first.

2. Compete with HD-DVD in picture quality.

Now this is very dependent on the studio and how the disk is mastered because there are some HD-DVDs that are clunkers from what I have read. Yet I am sure that I am in the same boat as many other consumers, in that I am getting as much information as possible before commiting to a format. Since I have not seen either format I am relying on word of mouth and reviews. More othen than not HD-DVD has the better picture.

3 Sony needs to start treating customers like real customers again and not like people that they have in their pockets.

For me it started with the root kit debacle and has continued on with the PS3. Sure you get a lot for your money with the PS3 but I really hate being a pawn in a format war. I am being forced to go with Blu-Ray at a price point that is just beyond what I am willing to pay for a game machine. Not to mention the fact that none are currently available even if I wanted to spend the money. Plus there is no rumble anymore! Just a cheap Wii knock-off with the sixaxis controller. How can PS3 be backwards compatible with no rumble?!? And no old style controller ports either. Guitar Hero freaks are out of luck. The list goes on but what's the use.

Sony vs Toshiba...

I believe Sony has its hands in too many pies, by that I mean some ventures are going fairly well for Sony i. e., Their controling interest in their film studio, their front projector Ruby and Pearl models are excellent, while with other ventures Sony is going very poorly indeed i. e., Blue-Ray players (priced too high, lower quality electronic choices, while being delay repeatedly). I have been astounded by poor Sony's performance both in preparation and implimentation. It is like Sony wants to give it all away to Toshiba. Oh well, what will be will be, K-sara-sara... socialxray is right, "The market will decide." I think, I will wait it out a while longer as well, just to see what the second generation, maybe even the third generation HD players bring. Maybe we will see a quality universal player take center stage. I am very, very interested in HDMI 1.3 technology for HD usage as well as improved HD DTS 7:1 and HD-True sound and watching developments with Processors in this area as well. I will be watching and waiting to see what develops... Mean while I am saving-up my money... ;)

Things Sony has left to do:

1. Compete with HD-DVD players in the price catagory.

HD-DVD player - @$500
Blu-Ray -@$1000

You can get the PS3 for $500 or $600
Or you can get the Samsung BDP-1000 for $699.99 from Onecall.com and other retailers.

The Toshiba HD-A2 will be $499.99 and The HD-XA2 will be $999.99, Xbox 360 add-on $199.95.
The HD-A2 will not have 5.1 analog outs, the only way to get Dolby True HD or Dolby Plus will be HDMI or pay the grand for the HD-XA2 and analog outs.

I know that the PS3 is out there (if you can find one) but it is a clunky player at best and has a few annoying problems with blu-ray play back. It is a gaming machine first.

I found one.:D

Clunky? Other then using the PS3 controller as a remote I find noting about it "clunky". Sony has a Bluetooth PS3 remote controller coming out for the PS3 any day now, so you can mark that flaw off the list. I put in a Blu-Ray or PS3 disk; it loads in 10 seconds or less and plays the movie flawlessly from start to finish. Which is more then I can say for My HD-A1, which is a good player but defines the work "clunky". I tried to watch "The Fast and the furious: Tokyo drift" last night (which is a gorgeous looking movie my the way) but never finished the movies because the player keep dropping audio and locking up, after the forth lock up and rebooting the player I gave up and went to bed. I have only made it threw that movie one time without the HD-A1 locking up or dropping audio.

2. Compete with HD-DVD in picture quality.

Now this is very dependent on the studio and how the disk is mastered because there are some HD-DVDs that are clunkers from what I have read. Yet I am sure that I am in the same boat as many other consumers, in that I am getting as much information as possible before commiting to a format. Since I have not seen either format I am relying on word of mouth and reviews. More othen than not HD-DVD has the better picture.

If you head on over to the AVSforum you will find people that are supporting both formats and have A/B duel format releases.

Mission Imposable III, looks identical to HD DVD, some have said Blu-Ray looks slightly better but the Dolby True HD track on the HD DVD makes up for that.

Superman Returns, Identical transfers from WB. No difference.

Black Hawk Down on Blu-Ray looks freak’n awesome! It's just as good as anything I have seen on HD DVD if not better, and it's MPEG-2 believe it for not.

Tim Burtons Corps Bride is spectacular. I recommend that everyone with a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player buy this movie NOW! It is a stop motion animation movie and this video is pure reference.

3 Sony needs to start treating customers like real customers again and not like people that they have in their pockets.
Agreed

For me it started with the root kit debacle and has continued on with the PS3. Sure you get a lot for your money with the PS3 but I really hate being a pawn in a format war. I am being forced to go with Blu-Ray at a price point that is just beyond what I am willing to pay for a game machine.

If you don’t like it don’t buy it, I don’t see a Sony executive putting a gun to your head. I love my PS3 and it has been a worthwhile investment to me. Currently it is coasting Sony around $800 per system for them to produce, eventually that coast will come down and Sony will lower that price of the system. Fact is the price will come down sooner or later.

Not to mention the fact that none are currently available even if I wanted to spend the money. Plus there is no rumble anymore! Just a cheap Wii knock-off with the sixaxis controller. How can PS3 be backwards compatible with no rumble?!? And no old style controller ports either. Guitar Hero freaks are out of luck. The list goes on but what's the use.
This if for you Guitar Hero freaks out there.
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=802566

OK, Why doesn't the PS3 controllers not have rumble?

Almost two years ago a company call immersion sued Sony and Microsoft because of a patent infringement. Immersion said Sony and Microsoft stole the rumble technology that immersion invented and panted. Microsoft settled with immersion for $20 million but Sony denied such patent infringements and went to court with immersion. Sony lost and a court ruling forces Sony to pay almost $27 million annually to the technology maker and stop producing duel shock controllers.

Sony was forced to take out the force feedback from there controllers and they came up with the SIXAXIS as a replacement to the duel shock. Sony told the public that the addition of the SIXAXIS meant they could no longer fit duel shock into the small controller but the truth is they don’t have rights to duel shock anymore. Immersion has said they invented a new force feed back technology small enough to fit into the SIXAXSIS controller but that would mean Sony would have to pay more money to immersion and I don’t think that will ever happen.

Last edited:
Though far from a videophile, I see both formats stuck in the same niche markets as DVD-A and SACD, which I do purchase. The general public will vote with their wallets and stick with good old DVD as will rental outlets who can't possibly want three different formats of the same title. IMO it comes down to catalog. I own upwards of 300-400 DVD's and it'll be ACDIH before I replace them. The majors have again shot themselves in the foot with competing formats.

Last edited:
Zip, how can you possibly NOT see the Sony exec with the gun to my head!?!?! Help please!!!

Just kidding. That quote was more of a rhetorical statement. Yes I am not being forced to buy Sony products, but that does not mean I have no right to state the reasons why will not buy them.

I think my points are still valid except for maybe the picture quality. Since you have been able to compare both formats I will defer to your judgement.

I did state that the PS3 was an alternative to the expensive Blu-Ray players. I am glad that you where able to get one. Most people who wanted one could not get one. And yes I know by next year they will be everywhere.

But there is a majority of people that do not want to buy a game machine to watch hi-def. They do not want to use a game controller to watch the movie. They do not want to have to buy the bluetooth remote. They just want to hook it up to their TV and watch a movie. Or maybe even due to ignorance, a consumer walks right by the gaming aisle to the HD player section and sees that the price difference is obvious.

Anyways, it is good that you can watch both formats and play PS3 games. Enjoy.

Zip, how can you possibly NOT see the Sony exec with the gun to my head!?!?! Help please!!!

Just kidding. That quote was more of a rhetorical statement. Yes I am not being forced to buy Sony products, but that does not mean I have no right to state the reasons why will not buy them.

I think my points are still valid except for maybe the picture quality. Since you have been able to compare both formats I will defer to your judgement.

I did state that the PS3 was an alternative to the expensive Blu-Ray players. I am glad that you where able to get one. Most people who wanted one could not get one. And yes I know by next year they will be everywhere.

But there is a majority of people that do not want to buy a game machine to watch hi-def. They do not want to use a game controller to watch the movie. They do not want to have to buy the bluetooth remote. They just want to hook it up to their TV and watch a movie. Or maybe even due to ignorance, a consumer walks right by the gaming aisle to the HD player section and sees that the price difference is obvious.

Anyways, it is good that you can watch both formats and play PS3 games. Enjoy.
If you wanted to go Blu-Ray and did not want a Playstation3 as your player you can get at Samsung BDP-1000 for around $550 right now. Samsung just discontinued the BDP-1000 so expect a 2nd Gen player announcement at CES’07 next month. I am going to watch the DBP-1000 for the rest of the month, with the discontentment they may go for around $400.00 or less, that would be a good time to get into Blu-Ray.

Latest posts

Back