I must be going mad, what a bummer of a day

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmancv

Reaction score
Well I don't post here very often but I like to spend time here and try to see just how much of your knowledge will rub off on me. I am currently running a ML Vignette, Center; ML Mosaics (2), Main L&R; Definitive Technology Super towers 7006 (2), for L&R side channels; Definitive Technology BP2 (2), for L&R rear channels and a Definitive Technology Supercube II Subwoofer. This is powered by two Outlaw 2200 monoblocks for the mains and an Outlaw 7555 for the remainder of the room. I'm using a two-year old Denon AV Receiver for a processor. I really want to upgrade the main speakers and then just move everything to the rear and retiring the BP2's to my new van project. I have been saving for a while and set out today for a visit to my buddy at Magnolia. I took two CD's with me, Dido's live at Braxton CD and the first CD from Wagner's complete Ring set (The first CD of 15 that make up the opera. To my total amazement, the VISTA was flat and dull and had boomy bass. I know you guys/gals must think it's me that's defective. OK, I give up, fire up the Vantages. I thought there were almost as bad. I know this is sacrilege but nobody is more confused than I am. The Vantages were run completly off of McIntosh and the Vistas were running off B&K, both good systems. I'm going back in a couple of days and try again. Both are newer speakers but I can not believe that given time they could change that much. Suggestions PLEASE! I thought I would have new speakers tonight!

Placement is very very critical for ML speakers. Where were the speakers and where were you?

2' form the walls and at least 2' from the front wall. Speakers should be 6-8' ft a apart if you are 10 feet away.

You also need an amp that will drive one ohm otherwise highs will not be right.

There are lost of things about these speakers but being dull is not one of them.

Joel

I'm a proud owner of the Vantages since last Friday. Set up is critical. I heard them several times at different stores. All three times they sounded like different speakers. At one location, they were extremely dull. At another location, they were too bright. At yet another, the sound lacked sufficient body. Each time, however, I was able to hear different things that were good about them. From experience, I knew that if a pair of speakers can manage to sound so different with different set-ups, the fault probably can be attributed to the set-up. Sure enough, when I got the Vantages in my listening room, they sounded quite different from the other times I've heard them. With several hours of repositioning, they are sounding very nice. I know they can only improve when I have more time to more stuff around. I used to own a pair of Quad 988. Those benefited greatly with aftermarket power cords. I recently purchased a set on Audiogon. I am looking forward to how they will sound with the stock power cords out of the way. BTW...the Quads still deliver the purest mids I've ever heard, but the Vantages come very close. As an added bonus, the Vantages can deliver dynamics and extension on both ends that the Quads could never have. The soundstage is also a good deal bigger and deeper.

I must be going mad

yogibear: Good afternoon. Congrats on your purchase. As you know there is always a break in time, and I'm sure they will only improve after more listening. By the way, what do you listen to, and what's the rest of your system? Best of luck...............

Latest posts

Back