I got an A in Class.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
What I meant to say is I got a Class A amp. After listening to Joey’s Class A amp. I wondered, what will Class A do for my system? Armed with a $1,000.00 the hunt was on. I first bid on a 19 year old Krell. The Krell 80 watt Class A amp sold for over $1,500.00. Then I bid on a Threshold amp that I think this amp was even older then the Krell and that sold for $1,200.00Then I read GregLett’s post about his new Monarchy amp. After reading everything on-line about this amp I looked for one. On eBay I found a set of Monarchy SE-100 delux (mono-blocks) for $900.00. Today I got them and, after installing them in my system and listening to it for about 2 hours. All I can say is amazing.

I have always been a long time Carver fan. My system has always been powered with carver amps. I have always touted Carver amps as the most bang for the money. This is still true as Carver amps provide tons of wattage for the money. However, the Monarchy Class A mono-blocks blows away all the carver amps I have owned (All but the Carver Reference Lightstar $5,000.00 new). I now have a new bang for buck champion and its name is Monarchy. In a week or so I will do a proper amp review. I need more time to listen. Till then here are some pics.

Attachments

• 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 214
I had to repay the favor you did for me by blowing open the flood-gates and making me get some tubes into my system.

Consider us even, Cherian!

Joey

I still dream of Class A sound - I had a Class-A Musical Fidelity A2 amp for many years that sounded fantastic (even if it was the most unreliable component I've ever used, got extremely hot and did as many things badly as it did well)!

So now I no longer use it (but it is still upstairs) because I can no longer take the compromise. Class A done without compromise is just too expensive at the moment!

Cherian, Welcome to the 'Club", glad to see you 'hopped on board the "A" Train' !!!

Congratulations Cherian on the aquisition.:music:

I thought for sure Joey would be the first to upgrade after our Chicago meet.

Surprised it took almost a month since our meet for one of us to upgrade.

My only splurge since our meet was the XRCD version of The Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over" CD.:rocker:

Almost forgot, also bought an Amp stand for my Descent after Joe's, aka Zip's review in the members system section. I couldn't afford the Grand Prix Monaco he uses,$1,500:eek: . But while searching the web I found this review on a $90 amp stand by no other than are illustrious president.

:bowdown:
Reviewer: Great amp stand!!, 4/12/2007
TomDac (San Francisco, CA)

The VTI BL404 amp stand is built well and a BARGAIN! My Pass Labs X250 fits on it PERFECTLY!
http://www.racksandstands.com/VTI-BL404-01-VI1013.html#ProdDetails

Cherian,

Glad you like them. They are something. Remember to put them on last and off first

Cherian,

They look to be built like a tank and still look very classic. Congrads on your Class A amps. Enjoy! :music:

The amps look great. Each weighs in at almost 30 lbs. The front panel is in 5/8” of an inch thick. This is one big chunk of aluminum. The build quality is superb among the best I have seen.

My next decision is should I go XLR from pre to amp? Will this make a big difference?

My next decision is should I go XLR from pre to amp? Will this make a big difference?

Big difference, probably not, but if the circuit topology is a balanced designed for either one or both, then give it a try.

If the components are inherently balanced in design, yes... you should notice lower noise floor, better separation, better imaging.

That's my next step... moving from the single-ended Cary 98 to the balanced Cary 05 preamp. That's not going to be for a few months or year.

Hahahaha.....

Joey ;)

Cherian,

Congrats on entering the world of Class-A transistors. I've dabbled with a few Monarchy amplifiers and while I am not a big fan of products of "made in China" lineage - one cannot deny that they perform exceptionally well. It is an amplifier one could easily get comfy and settle down with - enjoy!

As an aside; perhaps you could bring them along the next time you visit "the kid" and convince him to swap out the Plinius for a few moments. And as the kid says, running an entirely balanced system whose circuit is well, based on the topology will yield the benefits mentioned above. In other words; do it.

As an aside; perhaps you could bring them along the next time you visit "the kid" and convince him to swap out the Plinius for a few moments. And as the kid says, running an entirely balanced system whose circuit is well, based on the topology will yield the benefits mentioned above. In other words; do it.

Hey... Cherian's welcome to take my Plinius from me anytime he wants. I just need some kind of amp to run the system in the meanwhile. Mi casa es Cherian's casa. :D

Seriously, Cherian, if you want the Plinius, let me know and you can borrow it. If you want the Cary, you can borrow that too.

If you wanted the Summits, I'd let you borrow it too... but it's a little too heavy.

I got an A in Class

GregLett, good morning. I thought it was put the power amp on first and turn it off last. Something about power surges. Which is which? thanks

If the components are inherently balanced in design, yes... you should notice lower noise floor, better separation, better imaging.

That's my next step... moving from the single-ended Cary 98 to the balanced Cary 05 preamp. That's not going to be for a few months or year.

Hahahaha.....

Joey ;)

I concur with Joey. That's what I'm experiencing with my Pass Labs preamp/amp. Was using single ended when I had the Rotel RB-1090 amp.

GregLett, good morning. I thought it was put the power amp on first and turn it off last. Something about power surges. Which is which? thanks

It's to power the amp on last and turn it off first. Myself, I leave everything on 24/7 and turn the amp off when not in use.

It's to power the amp on last and turn it off first. Myself, I leave everything on 24/7 and turn the amp off when not in use.

that's right. if you turn the amp on first, especially the Monarchy the pulse from the pre when it powers up can damage it. the manual warns you about that. I power down everyday because my front end is all tube, plus the Monarchy pulls a good amount of power even at idle.

I got an A Class

thanks rampage60 and GregLett. By the way GregLett, I use to live off Udall Rd in Bayshore: where do you get your equipment from, (things have changed I'm sure)?

thanks rampage60 and GregLett. By the way GregLett, I use to live off Udall Rd in Bayshore: where do you get your equipment from, (things have changed I'm sure)?

I go to Audio Visions in west Babylon. That's next to the Great South Bay
Shopping Center, on Merrick. I don't know Bayshore though:D

Latest posts

Back