HP kills WebOS

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
After 14+ years as a devoted Palm user, and subsequently HP WebOS fan, I can't believe HP just pulled the plug and killed off WebOS. What idiots (and liars!). Aside from it's brilliant multi-tasking OS (which consumers were finally embracing as a true competitor for iOS and Android), the HP Touchpad was the most "audiophile" friendly tablet device, with apps like SqueezeControl HD (to remotely manage Squeezebox devices, manage playlists, view album art, etc) and Audiophile Music Player (streaming FLAC files) through the Touchpads surprisingly good sounding stereo speakers. What a waste of potential!

Anybody else get "burned" by HP's bombshell yesterday?

No 3rd degree here... but in the same state of shock as you. I'm writing this on my HP Pavilion Elite, HP 2709m hidef monitor, HP terabyte HDDs, and HP everything else... can't believe it's all over. It'll be interesting to see who picks up the h/w unit of HP.

interesting "day after" reads on the topic - seems that the current CEO of HP is a software company minded guy (based on his past positions, so that jives with his moving out of the cut-throat PC business, but not so much with his ditching webOS.

my prediction? put this together with google's recent acquisition of Motorola's mobile device division, and with the "joy" that RIM has been having with playbook and I predict RIM picking up webOS to retool into the playbook and bolster the BB line against android and google handheld devices that are coming down the pipe.

I've been a fan of HP enterprise servers for years - pre-compaq days in fact, but have rarely touched their PCs. I used but never really gotten excited about their network devices and will probably NEVER use their NAS/SAN storage, although their internal RAID card controller software is on par with other's out there.

As for software, i've used their in house server OS (HP-UX, MPE) and never really liked it. It's okay, but there is always better more robust alternatives with wider community support.

So for me, the strength of HP has never been the in house software or the PC lines. So in my mind, this is not a bad move for them. The timing however is classic dumb.

The tablet is barely shipping and it's being killed off. And mere months back the CEO was talking about it's future and the plans down the road for it and webOS. Credibility for him and HP product lines just took a big hit to the mid section, replacing many "buy HP" mindsets with one of "wait and see". I mean, who wants to buy into a line, particularly a newly introduced line, when it could disappear next week?

As for suitability to audio applications, i find that the iFamily of devices are just as suited as are the HP tablet devices. I have complete control over my squeezebox, and other devices with any number of IR emitters that plug into the touch/pad/phone. And with the open source/app kits available, you can roll your own as you want.

Strange yes, primarily because HP paid a bomb for that!

But in reality - I never saw why they were persisting with it. How many mobile OSes can the world support? The answer is less, not more. With Android and iOS battling it out (both eminently successful), and Windows Phone and RIM on the sideline - I don't really see how any more can crack it. There is no point.

Nokia realised it - now HP have too. It is bottom-feeding scum though to release a product for sale, take consumers' money, then pull the plug though!

At least RIM have a successful momentum that they can try to exploit. Good luck though - my bet is that they will be the next casulaity.

Last edited:
Not too big a surprise when considering the mobile landscape today. There is just no room for another licensed OS out there, and if HP is decided to get out of the hardware biz, well ...

And no RIM will not pick up another OS with no dev support. What's killing RIM (besides bad decisions) is lack of developer support. Their muddled OS roadmap is hurting them, and adding yet one major variable to it would be lunacy (but then, given recent history there, unsurprising).

As the CEO of a mobility software company, this is a relief, as chasing all the myriad variations on Android is costly enough. No need for four or five mobile OSs. three or four is enough ;-)

I guess I'll migrate over to an Android phone and Tablet, but will wait for the forthcoming "Ice Cream Sandwich" upgrade. I just can't bring myself to support Apple, especially after they (IMHO) single-handedly destroyed the high-end music industry.

Anybody else get "burned" by HP's bombshell yesterday?

Well you got a refund coming if you bought a TouchPad at full price:
http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/08...tm_campaign=Feed:+webosroundup+(webOSroundup)

I picked up a 16gb for $99 and I pretty much love it. It's my internet fart around machine at work and probably while I chill and listen to my ML's...

I guess I'll migrate over to an Android phone and Tablet, but will wait for the forthcoming "Ice Cream Sandwich" upgrade. I just can't bring myself to support Apple, especially after they (IMHO) single-handedly destroyed the high-end music industry.

They're already in the process of porting Android to the TouchPad.

I had returned mine to Staples Thur following HP's announcement, and tried (unsuccessfully) to buy it back at the fire-sale price, but they were already sold out. Ended up ordering TWO tonight (via Amazon vendor OnSale) for myself and wife. Just hoping they actually have them in stock. It's ironic that the Touchpad went from <100,000 sold in the first month, to ~ 2 million sold the past three days! Will probably go down in history as the biggest "going out of business" sale ever!

It's ironic that the Touchpad went from <100,000 sold in the first month, to ~ 2 million sold the past three days! Will probably go down in history as the biggest "going out of business" sale ever!

There’s something in that for all of us…….this should be a valuable hint as to the true worth (and value) of these things. The prices of these things have so-far been inflated beyond repent!

Last edited:
I think HP may have changed the game. If they can get someone smart to turn the lemon into lemonade... They could make up for the hardware cost loss through licensing fees and apps like MS and the 360 or Sony with the PS3. This proves most people don't want to drop $400-$600 on basically a glorified smartphone especially when you can get a decent laptop in that price range. At reasonable prices like this and bam a it's a hit. Hell I just typed this reply on mine. I'm totally digging it. :D

Back