How much do TV's improve from year to year?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
My observation is that big TV companies release a new plasma or LCD model every year. How much does the picture or other features really improve from year to year? I imagine in the first few years of lCD or plasma technologies there was a lot of improvement. But is there still substantial improvement or is all marketing?

In audio, most companies release new stuff every 3-4 years. This seems reasonable considering the scale, size, and limited R&D staff of these companies.

Thanks

i guess we can be greatful things dont advance as fast as computers. Im no super crazy modder but i do know if we all were, we would be upgrading to the latest video cards every 6 months or so!!

having said that, in the hi-fi world, vid updates far faster than audio, and major improvements are possible with a new TV...most of the time, i think it takes 2 or 3 years for most sets to really benifit from the "latest and greatest;" that is with exception to the real big dollar sets...if videofile-dom is not ur thing, and if youve got a set less than 3 years old, ur probably not missing much...even maybe 5 years.

~greg

My observation is that big TV companies release a new plasma or LCD model every year. How much does the picture or other features really improve from year to year? I imagine in the first few years of lCD or plasma technologies there was a lot of improvement. But is there still substantial improvement or is all marketing?

In audio, most companies release new stuff every 3-4 years. This seems reasonable considering the scale, size, and limited R&D staff of these companies.

Thanks

The picture does get better, at least a little bit year to year.

What you are after is reliability, though.

Back