How Great is the Sanders Magtech?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers. On the hunt for an A21 now. Best solid stater I have heard driving the Aps. Selling a Descent and probably the Air Tight. That's the end of ML ownership for me:(

Shame on you, Justin! :(
I hope that does not mean you are going to exit this forum. We do need someone here to keep us advised on how the lesser (i.e. non-ML) speakers sound :)

Cheers. On the hunt for an A21 now. Best solid stater I have heard driving the Aps. Selling a Descent and probably the Air Tight. That's the end of ML ownership for me:(

Justin, you must at least have a coffee mug or drink coaster or something with an ML logo on it... just so you can retract that god-awful "that's the end" statement.

Justin, you must at least have a coffee mug or drink coaster or something with an ML logo on it... just so you can retract that god-awful "that's the end" statement.

That's funny I remembered what I had written as "an end of an era for me". A bit better:)

You know I might buy ML again - but these bloody Apogees have got me by the balls so much I fear it will never happen.

As an AG Trio owner told me - they are much better speakers (wink).

That's funny I remembered what I had written as "an end of an era for me". A bit better:)

You know I might buy ML again - but these bloody Apogees have got me by the balls so much I fear it will never happen.

As an AG Trio owner told me - they are much better speakers (wink).

I predict you will eventually fall out of love with your Duettas and get all Horny (re: AG)

Shame on you, Justin! :(
I hope that does not mean you are going to exit this forum. We do need someone here to keep us advised on how the lesser (i.e. non-ML) speakers sound :)

What, kind of a delusion correction system you mean, Bernard? Been trying to help you all but the force is strong, your minds beyond rescue.:)

Back to Necro-amps original intent of this thread... re: Magtechs.

I spent some quality time with my bad-boy monos last night and wound up with a few new chin bruises (from jaw hitting the floor). One of my test tunes is Wayman Tisdale's "Sunday's Best". The sax lines will expose the hell out of any brightness in a system: Test=passed (less bright than any of my previous amps - more neutral to my ear). The base line will plumb the depths of your LF capacity: Test=passed (I disconnected my Depthi subs for this and was amazed at how well the CLX's performed in LF land on their own). The vocals (by the GREAT Jonathan Butler) allow for quick determination of emotional impact: Test=chills! Noise levels (toward the end of the song the tune is faded completely out and you're allowed to listen deep into that pause before the tune fades back in for the finale): Test=blackness. Visceral concert level playback integrity: Test=perhaps the biggest chin bruising of them all. I was floored by the ridiculousness to which I could comfortably continue to decrease the pre-amps attenuation factor. Wow! I think even Justin would have appreciated the splendiferously sky-high SPLs here in the man-cave. In addition, many of you are aware that I spend a disproportionate amount of time listening to classical. Some of the classical labels out there (Linn, Channel, Pentatone, RR, FIM, and others) offer unprecedented SQ - allowing the listener a completely unveiled and up-front "view" into the performance. Non-musical cues become complete stories unto themselves. Individual instrumentation is laid to bare as if under a high-power miscroscope... all the intricacies set out for fine examination. The Magtechs seem to have it all. Neutrality, massive (really massive) reserves, finesse, pitch-black background and, as much as I dislike the term PRAT, I have to say there is a certain new level of connectedness I feel with the music that one might attribute to PRATtiness. They are fine, fine amplifiers that will grace this system for many many moons to come. And I can leave them on all the time! How great is that???

How great are the Sanders Magtechs? Unequivocally and unbelievably fracking fantastic!

User211 are you really serious about not posting to Martin Logan Owners ?
If you are then my request, one cat caretaker to another cat caretaker, please change
your decision. You are respected and liked by all and you are one of the most
senior idea providers to Martin Logan Owners. It will be a real loss if
you stop. Therefore please reconsider.

User211 ...You are respected and liked by all

I'm not sure I'd go that far... ;)

RAH - Justin wasn't saying he plans to abandon us, only that he's shifting away from ML audio products for some undetermined length of time.

But then perhaps there were lines between which I failed to read? (naaahhhhh!)

T.H.E shootout tomorrow at Necro-land! Todd its awesome to hear your reports. I will be making some big audio choices soon. Time to stop the merry go round and enjoy. And the CLX could be on the chopping block! After tomorrow I will make some choices.

And the CLX could be on the chopping block!

This actually doesn't surprise me given your choice of music that I think some would say is more suited toward dynamic speakers. That said, there's still some extra eyebrow elevation going on here. So what speaker might displace the mighty CLX at Necroville?

This actually doesn't surprise me given your choice of music that I think some would say is more suited toward dynamic speakers. That said, there's still some extra eyebrow elevation going on here. So what speaker might displace the mighty CLX at Necroville?

Hi Todd,
One never knows but the Prodigy has to me and the son to this point been more musical that all other speakers we have heard warts and all.

Just my opinion( and maybe his?)

Tomorrow will be fun and I am trying to get my friend to bring his Canary 100 watt class A amp over as well.

Been listening for over a week and the M-Tech has been a lot of fun but there are areas that the unregarded LSA integrated has shined.

Wife likes the LSA better, go figure.

Best,
Bob

Yup! At this point in time My CLX and other high end systems have not sounded as good as My dads system with his Prodigy all around. This is exactly why I am bringing the arsenal tomorrow. After tomorrow I will choose. But as of now the Prodigy IMO are the winners in ML land for all around music. I listen to everything and everything so far on the Prodigy front is awesome. Barely any Sibilance no fatigue and smooth. I have a hard time achieving this with the CLX. Man I am really having indegestion over all this but the sound doesnt lie. Dont get me wrong the CLX are awesome, but every time I leave my dads house its sickening to hear the difference. I think getting a pair of Prodigy would make for good measure.

Last edited:
Yup! At this point in time My CLX and other high end systems have not sounded as good as My dads system with his Prodigy all around. This is exactly why I am bringing the arsenal tomorrow. After tomorrow I will choose. But as of now the Prodigy IMO are the winners in ML land for all around music. I listen to everything and everything so far on the Prodigy front is awesome. Barely any Sibilance no fatigue and smooth. I have a hard time achieving this with the CLX. Man I am really having indegestion over all this but the sound doesnt lie. Dont get me wrong the CLX are awesome, but every time I leave my dads house its sickening to hear the difference. I think getting a pair of Prodigy would make for good measure.

I won't defend the CLX, nor will I disparage the Prodigy... but I will gently suggest that room acoustics may have some bearing on the differences you and Necro-dad are experiencing.

The obvious thing to do is try the Prodigy chez Necro-son. Easier said than done, but at least that way you will definately know.

Edit: I will say, though, that I always suspected the Prodigy was awesome. Never heard a pair though and I am not sure there are many in the UK.

Last edited:
I won't defend the CLX, nor will I disparage the Prodigy... but I will gently suggest that room acoustics may have some bearing on the differences you and Necro-dad are experiencing.

Absolutely! There are plans to redo the traps and re-arrange the room. The biggest complaint is the Sibilance, even at low volume I can hear annoyying sibilance on some of the best, quiet recordings that I just dont hear on the Prodigy and I think perhps its the Honesty or more panel of the CLX. Ive been in touch with ML as well about all this and they have called and will be calling back with further opinion on traps and placement. All in all kinda fun.

The obvious thing to do is try the Prodigy chez Necro-son. Easier said than done, but at least that way you will definately know.

Edit: I will say, though, that I always suspected the Prodigy was awesome. Never heard a pair though and I am not sure there are many in the UK.
Yup! I am at the point where I really think I will buy a pair of Prodigy and do a real speaker to speaker listen in my room.

7 hours and shootout is still going. Awesome day! After 4 amps the prodigy at this point is still smoother then the CLX. I think I have to get a pair for sure. The ease of listening was just so easy on the ears. Damn.

7 hours and shootout is still going. Awesome day! After 4 amps the prodigy at this point is still smoother then the CLX. I think I have to get a pair for sure. The ease of listening was just so easy on the ears. Damn.

7 hour shootout! I like a good exhaustive session now and again... if I could just get the wife to join in!

Keep us posted Pete, sounds like you guys are having an awesome time!

Latest posts

Back