How Great is the Sanders Magtech?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanders_amr.jpgProdigy_Carver_LSA.jpgCanary_Magnus_chromed.jpgSanders_LSA_Carver.jpgHey Folks, Yesterday was a very awesome day/night. Started at 2:30pm and ended around 11pm. Had the Carver 180 Cherry Mono blocks, LSA Statement, Sanders Magtech. Canary Magnus was there but not played :(. See pics below. After all that I will be getting a pair of Prodigy to try in my room back to back with the CLX. No matter what amp or configuration or loudness we threw at the Prodigy it was always smooth, non-irritating and had such an amazing presentation.
1) Sanders Magtech was a huge performer, I have never heard the Bass so good and tight on the Prodigy before like this amp can do! Overall the Sanders is a winner. Extremely smooth, very layered, 3 dimensional doesn’t get old at all.
2) LSA Statement is right up there with the Sanders. The only thing that I could complain about is sometimes on certain passages the LSA can be "Edgy" or have ear fatigue where the Sanders did not. But power and clarity of the LSA is awesome. Bass response is good too.
3) Carver's had a mid range like none of the other amps, hands down amazing Mid range. But was lacking is the Bass department. Bass seemed sluggish and not tight, plenty of power to run the Prodigy. Very realistic.
this is a quick summary obviously. I think perhaps having the Sanders and Carvers together Biamped might be the absolute winning combo. Hmmmmmm. All in all it was an awesome day. Please feel free to shoot Q & A. I’d love it! More to come.

View attachment 15527View attachment 15526View attachment 15525View attachment 15524Hey Folks, Yesterday was a very awesome day/night. Started at 2:30pm and ended around 11pm. Had the Carver 180 Cherry Mono blocks, LSA Statement, Sanders Magtech. Canary Magnus was there but not played :(. See pics below. After all that I will be getting a pair of Prodigy to try in my room back to back with the CLX. No matter what amp or configuration or loudness we threw at the Prodigy it was always smooth, non-irritating and had such an amazing presentation.
1) Sanders Magtech was a huge performer, I have never heard the Bass so good and tight on the Prodigy before like this amp can do! Overall the Sanders is a winner. Extremely smooth, very layered, 3 dimensional doesn’t get old at all.
2) LSA Statement is right up there with the Sanders. The only thing that I could complain about is sometimes on certain passages the LSA can be "Edgy" or have ear fatigue where the Sanders did not. But power and clarity of the LSA is awesome. Bass response is good too.
3) Carver's had a mid range like none of the other amps, hands down amazing Mid range. But was lacking is the Bass department. Bass seemed sluggish and not tight, plenty of power to run the Prodigy. Very realistic.
this is a quick summary obviously. I think perhaps having the Sanders and Carvers together Biamped might be the absolute winning combo. Hmmmmmm. All in all it was an awesome day. Please feel free to shoot Q & A. I’d love it! More to come.

Thanks Pete for sharing the highlights with us! So did the other cowboys at the shootout agree with your findings? Also, have you found a pair of Prodigies to purchase? Or maybe borrow Necro-dad's (when he's away on holiday of course - he'll never know you took them) so you'll be comparing against the exact pair of speakers that have you smitten so? My concern being that other Prods may have different panel quality/age or whatever and may not sound exactly like your dad's. Again just thinking out loud.

BTW, I've been doing a LOT of listening over the past several days and the Magtech's (just as you say) are not getting old, at all. If anything, the sound is more and more "fresh" with the more hours they log. (the W4S pre is burning in really nicely as well).

Cheers!

Hell yea it would be! Im fortunate to have several friends in the area with nice gear.

Thanks Pete for sharing the highlights with us! So did the other cowboys at the shootout agree with your findings? Also, have you found a pair of Prodigies to purchase? Or maybe borrow Necro-dad's (when he's away on holiday of course - he'll never know you took them) so you'll be comparing against the exact pair of speakers that have you smitten so? My concern being that other Prods may have different panel quality/age or whatever and may not sound exactly like your dad's. Again just thinking out loud.

BTW, I've been doing a LOT of listening over the past several days and the Magtech's (just as you say) are not getting old, at all. If anything, the sound is more and more "fresh" with the more hours they log. (the W4S pre is burning in really nicely as well).

Cheers!
Todd,
The others I can’t speak for, but overall consensus was that the Magtech was awesome. Everybody agreed that all the amps were very very good and you couldn’t go wrong with any of them. It was more of a musical taste and feel. But they all performed amazingly. I have found a pair of Prodigy with original panels. My dad’s were replaced 3 or so years ago and I would replace these panels if I choose to buy. As much as I would like to audition the exact same setup in my house it is waaaaay to much work for us to make that happen with the time constraints we all have, amps are easy. I think I’ll just get a pair of Prodigy and compare realistically. I’m pretty sure the CLX won’t be going anywhere since it does so many things right but the Prodigy do so many other things right as well. Perhaps a 3rd room with Prodigy is in order! ha! ML has been in the loop and they have been advising me some info to try and fix my issues etc. Todd It would be great if you can find some time and come down here and audition with us the next go around. We are planning another one since it was so much fun. I think you would really enjoy it, great gear, beer and music!

Back to Necro-amps original intent of this thread... re: Magtechs.

I spent some quality time with my bad-boy monos last night and wound up with a few new chin bruises (from jaw hitting the floor). One of my test tunes is Wayman Tisdale's "Sunday's Best". The sax lines will expose the hell out of any brightness in a system: Test=passed (less bright than any of my previous amps - more neutral to my ear). The base line will plumb the depths of your LF capacity: Test=passed (I disconnected my Depthi subs for this and was amazed at how well the CLX's performed in LF land on their own). The vocals (by the GREAT Jonathan Butler) allow for quick determination of emotional impact: Test=chills! Noise levels (toward the end of the song the tune is faded completely out and you're allowed to listen deep into that pause before the tune fades back in for the finale): Test=blackness. Visceral concert level playback integrity: Test=perhaps the biggest chin bruising of them all. I was floored by the ridiculousness to which I could comfortably continue to decrease the pre-amps attenuation factor. Wow! I think even Justin would have appreciated the splendiferously sky-high SPLs here in the man-cave. In addition, many of you are aware that I spend a disproportionate amount of time listening to classical. Some of the classical labels out there (Linn, Channel, Pentatone, RR, FIM, and others) offer unprecedented SQ - allowing the listener a completely unveiled and up-front "view" into the performance. Non-musical cues become complete stories unto themselves. Individual instrumentation is laid to bare as if under a high-power miscroscope... all the intricacies set out for fine examination. The Magtechs seem to have it all. Neutrality, massive (really massive) reserves, finesse, pitch-black background and, as much as I dislike the term PRAT, I have to say there is a certain new level of connectedness I feel with the music that one might attribute to PRATtiness. They are fine, fine amplifiers that will grace this system for many many moons to come. And I can leave them on all the time! How great is that???

How great are the Sanders Magtechs? Unequivocally and unbelievably fracking fantastic!

I just read your post to Roger and he said "you can't get a better review than that!" Thanks for the kind words. We are glad that you are having so much fun with the Magtechs.

cheers,
Angela Sanders

I just read your post to Roger...

Hi Angela (and Roger)

Well in that case I'm glad I kept the expletives to a minimum :angel:

And I meant every word. Roger has hit a homerun with this design - truly remarkable!

Cheers :)

Hey Pete - Sounds like a blast... though I would recommend renting an additional fridge for the weekend for all that beer ;)

Getting away this summer on weekends will be a challenge as the wife and I have made a pact to get in as much lake time as possible... but that leaves fall as a higher potential timeframe. So if our schedules lign up, you may well see a limo pull up and a tall handsome man surrounded by super-models step out, bass thumpin', champaign flowin', $100 bills used to light up fine cuban cohibas... a full-on party in your front yard - jammin' hard, dancin' harder... and then when the light fades, the music stops, and the limo pulls away, an old guy with a push broom drives up on his moped to clean up the mess, that'd be me. I like a nice tidy driveway.

Dudes - ask the obvious - but why aren't you using the Sanders ESL amps???

Necro - thanks for the pics. Helps cast some reality onto the proceedings.

Billybeek is totally right, of course:) And Todd, I'll be the the guy with the limo - but with the requisite high class liquor and top drawer drugs/prostitutes a la Charlie Sheen. In my dreams...:)

Hello Everyone,

When I started this thread I was expecting just a few responding posts. I started it because the "professional" reviews have been a bit mixed, some reviewers noticed grain, others stated that the unit was "good" and others stated that the product was outstanding. Thanks for dispelling any doubts. It may take a bit, but Roger is going to get another customer.

Hello Everyone,

When I started this thread I was expecting just a few responding posts. I started it because the "professional" reviews have been a bit mixed, some reviewers noticed grain, others stated that the unit was "good" and others stated that the product was outstanding. Thanks for dispelling any doubts. It may take a bit, but Roger is going to get another customer.

When you do pull the trigger, note that Roger still graciously offers a $500 discount for MLO members

Todd,
The others I can’t speak for, but overall consensus was that the Magtech was awesome. Everybody agreed that all the amps were very very good and you couldn’t go wrong with any of them. It was more of a musical taste and feel. But they all performed amazingly. I have found a pair of Prodigy with original panels. My dad’s were replaced 3 or so years ago and I would replace these panels if I choose to buy. As much as I would like to audition the exact same setup in my house it is waaaaay to much work for us to make that happen with the time constraints we all have, amps are easy. I think I’ll just get a pair of Prodigy and compare realistically. I’m pretty sure the CLX won’t be going anywhere since it does so many things right but the Prodigy do so many other things right as well. Perhaps a 3rd room with Prodigy is in order! ha! ML has been in the loop and they have been advising me some info to try and fix my issues etc. Todd It would be great if you can find some time and come down here and audition with us the next go around. We are planning another one since it was so much fun. I think you would really enjoy it, great gear, beer and music!

Hi Everyone,
This was a most fun weekend:D

Just to put more info into the mix the room is 14'x16' with the ceiling being 7'-4" high. The panels of the speakers are 32" from side walls and 52" from the back wall with misc. small absortion and deflection.
Seating is about 7'-6" from the speakers.

One preferred the LSA as it seemed to project into the room more as a wrap around sound vs. the Magtech but not quite as controlled but fine extension but not having the dead silence of the Magtech.
One was not sure as he had to leave before the LSA went back in but has been here to hear the Magtech and loved it and they both have Maggie 1.6's but one has modded cross overs.

The Carver was very nice and the mid's are great but as Pete said the low end was a tad lacking.

All this may just need some speaker placement adjustment:confused:

I at this time really like the Magtech if I can get it to project a tad more forward as it layers greatly but is at the speakers and back, kinda like 15th row.

I read about one of the fella's saying in reviews that a reviewer said it was grainy ( must be smoking crack)as it is dead clean and clear as even my wife Deb said!

She has been through this with me for 35 years and can hear changes in the kitchen when I am playing so hopefully tommorrow night we will have our time in there to see who wins for us between the Magtech and the LSA.

Stay tuned:D

Best,
Bob

HI Bob,

Thanks for further illuminating the shootout! All those ricochets, diving behind the horse trough, bellying up to the saloon bar... all good stuff :cheers:

The LSA must favor the mids for it to seem to push the music out into the room further than the Magtechs (my guess). And I agree with you, whoever said there was any graininess has clearly been doing bath salts and needs a good tazing. ;)

BTW, I'm listening to Corelli Opus 5 right now and I swear to (insert your favorite deity here) the violinist is IN THIS ROOM. Kinda freaking me out a little... but it's a female so that helps - I think. :p

HI Bob,

Thanks for further illuminating the shootout! All those ricochets, diving behind the horse trough, bellying up to the saloon bar... all good stuff :cheers:

The LSA must favor the mids for it to seem to push the music out into the room further than the Magtechs (my guess). And I agree with you, whoever said there was any graininess has clearly been doing bath salts and needs a good tazing. ;)

BTW, I'm listening to Corelli Opus 5 right now and I swear to (insert your favorite deity here) the violinist is IN THIS ROOM. Kinda freaking me out a little... but it's a female so that helps - I think. :p

Don't you hate it when that happens?

So if our schedules lign up, you may well see a limo pull up and a tall handsome man surrounded by super-models step out, bass thumpin', champaign flowin', $100 bills used to light up fine cuban cohibas... a full-on party in your front yard - jammin' hard, dancin' harder... and then when the light fades, the music stops, and the limo pulls away, an old guy with a push broom drives up on his moped to clean up the mess, that'd be me. I like a nice tidy driveway.

Love the end of your post Todd :)

Got more new tubes for the Carvers and I must say for my room and system I am very much liking these amps. the Magtech comes home Saturday. LSA won. I will say the LSA is an awesome amp. It was great to be able to hear very good amps side by side. So now I have to choose what to keep. Unless I get the Prodigy and do the 3rd room thingy....but I have been told I might be getting a little excessive.....go figure...

I read about one of the fella's saying in reviews that a reviewer said it was grainy ( must be smoking crack)as it is dead clean and clear as even my wife Deb said!

She has been through this with me for 35 years and can hear changes in the kitchen when I am playing so hopefully tommorrow night we will have our time in there to see who wins for us between the Magtech and the LSA.

Stay tuned:D

Best,
Bob
it's great that even Necro Mom is in on the action!

Back