Hi-Rez Downloads

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the nightfly on dvd-a in 44/24. Always wondered why they didn't go 96/24. Nice to see artists that give a crap about the sound quality which is their art. Three cheers for fagan and Becker. After seeing some of the American music awards tonight what a pathetic joke.

I have the nightfly on dvd-a in 44/24. Always wondered why they didn't go 96/24.

Maybe the answer to this is contained within Todd's link - that is "It was one of the first fully digital recordings of popular music." If it was only recorded at 44.1 then there's not much else that can be done.

And I agree - great album, great sound. A sober reminder that all the so called "advances" in digital technology are not as profound as marketing departments make out.

Last edited:
HD Tracks is getting better and better - they are actually starting to stock stuff I want to download.

Beck - Sea Change has superlative SQ and is very much worth getting if you like Beck.

These basically look like the old dvd-a albums in many cases right? I mean I have a lot of these on dvd-a and sacd. I hope they keep putting them out there but at 18 bucks per downloaded album I guess I really don't have the hardware for it. I guess I am an old guy that wants to feel like I purchased something - not just a copy of a file sitting on a server. I would think the profit margin is huge for this.
1 file 1000 downloads 18k with virtually no expense post the original recording. Compare that to the manufacture of physical media. I think we are headed in this direction because THEY want it - not necessarily us.

These basically look like the old dvd-a albums in many cases right? I mean I have a lot of these on dvd-a and sacd. I hope they keep putting them out there but at 18 bucks per downloaded album I guess I really don't have the hardware for it. I guess I am an old guy that wants to feel like I purchased something - not just a copy of a file sitting on a server. I would think the profit margin is huge for this.
1 file 1000 downloads 18k with virtually no expense post the original recording. Compare that to the manufacture of physical media. I think we are headed in this direction because THEY want it - not necessarily us.

gotta figure some of the cost has "sharing" loss (to put it kindly) built in... and eventually everything will be served from the cloud. And speaking of "eventually"... Here's a fascinating (IMO) peek into the near future (allowing for a little artistic licensing as all "future" vids like this tend to do). Virtually all the data presented in the vid could be sourced from the cloud (assuming adequate access b/w)... and while there's no "hifi" segment, you could easily imagine calling up any genre on literally any "surface" and the tunes would flow.

Todd - I am an IT dork and I think its cool tech wise. I just think they are pricing it based on an old physical media model. I don't think we should have to pay the price for physical media and costs associated for files that are just copied over and over again - just because that is the price we are used to paying. My humble opinion of course.

Todd - I am an IT dork and I think its cool tech wise. I just think they are pricing it based on an old physical media model. I don't think we should have to pay the price for physical media and costs associated for files that are just copied over and over again - just because that is the price we are used to paying. My humble opinion of course.

point taken... I just saw the thread trend as an excuse (barely) to vector into ultra-geekdom ;)

Ultra geekdom is definitely cool with me. Wish I had time to get ultra geeky. I work with financial software (Peoplesoft/Oracle). Not exactly the stuff geeks were made of. I don't think?? :)

Latest posts

Back