Hi from Yorkshire UK

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone - only just got into ML speakers - got a pair of mint Stylos - lovely sound and look fabulous !

Got a bit of an issue with the panels appearing to have slipped down a little so need to lift them back up - struggling to figure out how the vertical timber edge trims come off ??

Grateful for a clue anyone !!!

Cheers

Martin Logan can provide a guide for you I think. They had one for my Prodigy speakers. Gravity pulls them all down like that. Don't let them go too far because it can damage the wire that goes to the stat panel. Write Ron at martin Logan service. Have them send you a set of " stat stops", I think that's what they call them. They are small metal brackets the the last screw goes through, its L shaped. The strips prevent the panels from doing that again.

Martin Logan can provide a guide for you I think. They had one for my Prodigy speakers. Gravity pulls them all down like that. Don't let them go too far because it can damage the wire that goes to the stat panel. Write Ron at martin Logan service. Have them send you a set of " stat stops", I think that's what they call them. They are small metal brackets the the last screw goes through, its L shaped. The strips prevent the panels from doing that again.
Hi Robert - thanks for taking the time to reply - appreciated

Cheers mate

Hi everyone again - nightmare here which I’m sure some of you guys know the answer to :- or at least I hope so !

Ok - I’ve levelled up the panels which had dropped on this pair of Stylos I’ve got, and all seemed to go really well.

I’ve also made little black painted angle brackets to screw to the face of the plinth stand which support the bottom of the whole panel to stop them sliding down again.

The problem now is that one of them is absolutely spot on, looks brand new, and works beautifully.

The other one doesn’t - when first powered up and connected to the amp terminals there was an audible clicking noise coming from the upper panel - and the speed of clicking increased when I ran my hand oner the metal grille.
When I took my hand away, the clicking slowed down until it was just a single click every 5 seconds or so an eventually it stopped altogether.

Unfortunately when I played a cd, sound came out loud and clear from the “good” one but nothing at all came out of the clicker.

Out of habit I just changed the power cords over, and now the good one is still great - but old clicker isn’t even clicking now - stone dead.

The only wiring I disturbed was a connector block with a red, pair of blues, and a black which when removed allowed me to lift the upper panel away.
I’m totally confident they are re-connected properly, but am leaving the speaker to cool down for a few hours before opening it up to check.

Has anyone experienced this before, or can anyone figure out what remedial work is needed please ??

Very very grateful for any help - thanking you all in anticipation - cheers

Hi. Nice to meet you.

I’m not familiar with the Stylos, but they look like ESLs. it’s just a hunch, but I worry that this particular “clicking” is high voltage discharge. Perhaps elements got badly misaligned. I recommend power down and unplug and (as others suggest) get in touch with ML support.

A tip-off that discharge is occurring is the production and smell of ozone (the astringent smell after an electrical storm).

Hi guys - thanks to everyone for trying to help, but I’ve sorted it !

I opened up the speaker again and took the panel out disconnecting the connector block once more :- I reasoned it must be something to do with this as these were the only wires I had disconnected.

However the blue wire soldered to the front of the panel looked a little strange, so I peeled back the black tape over the connection and found the solder joint had gone dry and the wire had come loose from the front of the panel.

Soldered it back on, reconnected the red, blue, and black wires into the connector block, tapped the wooden trims back on and it once more sings like a canary !!

A good happy ending - thanks again everyone

I opened up the speaker again and took the panel out disconnecting the connector block once more :- I reasoned it must be something to do with this as these were the only wires I had disconnected.

However the blue wire soldered to the front of the panel looked a little strange, so I peeled back the black tape over the connection and found the solder joint had gone dry and the wire had come loose from the front of the panel.

Soldered it back on, reconnected the red, blue, and black wires into the connector block, tapped the wooden trims back on and it once more sings like a canary !!

When the panel slid down it probably did that. Now that you have made and installed the L brackets, that shouldn't happen again. Did you inspect the other panel as well?

That's great! Good job!!

When the panel slid down it probably did that. Now that you have made and installed the L brackets, that shouldn't happen again. Did you inspect the other panel as well?
Hi Robert - yes it must have been weakened by the panel sliding and lifting the panel away was probably the last straw !
No - I left well alone regarding the other panel - it works fine right now, and with the little supports below shouldn’t move again.
At least if it starts the clicking at any time going forward I know where to go first
Cheers

Back