Help with Quests

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSWisla

Reaction score
hello, I have posted here before with a recurring problem with my Quests and now I believe that they have finally gone kaput! From time to time, the panels would produce less and less sound (volume) while the subs are fine. Now the panels create almost no sound relative to the subs. I called up ML and the kind gentleman told me that I need new panels. Before I invest that substantial sum of money, I wanted to hear if anyone here had a similiar experience, what some of you think the problem might be and if it is worth the cost to fix. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

hello, I have posted here before with a recurring problem with my Quests and now I believe that they have finally gone kaput! From time to time, the panels would produce less and less sound (volume) while the subs are fine. Now the panels create almost no sound relative to the subs. I called up ML and the kind gentleman told me that I need new panels. Before I invest that substantial sum of money, I wanted to hear if anyone here had a similiar experience, what some of you think the problem might be and if it is worth the cost to fix. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

The only thing other than the panels themselves, is power to the panels. Is your source of power reliable?

I have never heard of both panels degrading at the same rate. But it is very possible. Did the level of sound deteriorate evenly and slowly?

Tom

Hola Tom and Roberta is right!...you have to check the mains A.C. voltage. Make sure that the power cable connector is all the way in at the socket. I do not remember, but I think the Quest can be bi-wired, so too make sure that the panels are receiving signal from the amplifier. Usually when both fails at the same time like yours is due to a problem mentioned above. Hope this might help, happy listening,
Roberto.

I agree and also found it very strange that both would go out at exactly the same time, which is why I posted this question. I have constant voltage going to both speakers through a panamax and the cables are plugged in correctly and the speaker wires are connected to the correct posts (they are capable of being bi-wired). So, is there anything else that I can check? I would be very disappointed to buy new panels and have the problem persist. Thank you again.

Tom

I agree and also found it very strange that both would go out at exactly the same time, which is why I posted this question. I have constant voltage going to both speakers through a panamax and the cables are plugged in correctly and the speaker wires are connected to the correct posts (they are capable of being bi-wired). So, is there anything else that I can check? I would be very disappointed to buy new panels and have the problem persist. Thank you again.

Tom

Did you check the voltage out of the Panamax when you are having this problem? Does the Panamax have switched ouputs, DC Triggers or delayed power on?

There is definitely power coming from the panamax, I even tried plugging the cords directly into the socket, nothing...

Last edited:
No worries!

Before I invest that substantial sum of money, I wanted to hear if anyone here had a similiar experience, what some of you think the problem might be and if it is worth the cost to fix. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Had a great pair of Quests which I traded in for my Vantages about 2 years ago. My Quest panels gradually lost their lustre and I had them replaced.... Gave me many more years of audio enjoyment and would encourage you to consider panel replacement, especially in light of the cost of the ML alternatives.

As much as I enjoy the sound of the Vantages, I must admit there was a certain magic to bi-amped Quests driven by 2 Threshold S/500's that I still miss on occasion...! :music:

Well, sounds as though you may have panel problems. I am on my second set of panels with my Quests. If you drink expensive coffee, stick to home brew and you'll pay for the panels in a few months.:ROFL:

Thank you for the replies, I am still troubled though that both panels went out at exactly the same time. Could there be any other issue? Is there nothing else that I can try at this time?

Tom

Last edited:
Also, if I do decide to replace the panels, is there anything else that I should upgrade? Caps or something of the like?

Thank you for the replies, I am still troubles though that both panels went out at exactly the same time. Could there be any other issue? Is there nothing else that I can try at this time?

Tom

Well if it happened all at once, perhaps a surge that destroyed the electronics in the speakers. I don't know how to check for that. Perhaps someone else around here can tell you how to see if they are good or bad.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Hola Tom...when panels are dead, still you might get a little sound coming from them, I am with you, the issue seems to be another thing...you must check the high voltage at the high voltage power supply, if you do not know how to do it, them you have to take them to ML service authorized center, or to your dealer...or call ML to find assistance. Perhaps this might help...happy listening,
Roberto.

Quest and dust

The Quest Z is supremely uncomfortable with and susceptible to dust, and this can produce the type of problem you write about. It's hard to keep dust from being attracted to the panels and from collecting on the connectors from the woofer modules to the lower left side of the panels.

Many write about their listening rooms as smoke, pet hair, child and dust-free rooms that would make Michael Jackon's hyperbaric chamber look like smog filled LA in August. If, on the other hand, you find that you are now a dandruff ridden audiophile with with rapidly falling out hair who is married to a fox who through some cruel trick of fate somehow transmogrified into the cat lady, your speakers might have a bit of dust in critical junctions.

I have found it helpful to use canned compressed air to spritz along the left side of the bottom of the panel where the wires connect to the panel and along the edges of the back of the panel from top to bottom to blow out the dust. Vacuuming the panels is also in order.

The panels can also be taken off to check the connections of the wires to see if they have become loose. Tightening the screws may also be all that is needed.

Back