Help troubleshoot this please.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jtwadsworth

My system:

Main: ML Ascent i
Center: ML Cinema i
Sub: ML Grotto
Surround/Rear: ML Fresco
Processor: Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi
Plasma: Pioneer Elite Pro-1120HD

Just today the following started to happen: Every 16db increase in volume starting with 78 (so 78, 62, 46, 30, 14), there is a loud (read LOUD) output to the SW (rumble and static) but only at that each of those db levels. I have no idea why/how this started but it is terribly annoying. Otherwise the system continues to work just fine. Any ideas how to figure this out?

On a second note, the Ascent i's sometimes have a "hiss" even when the receiver is turned off. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it...sometimes it's there and sometimes not.

Any help is appreciated.

jtw

As far as your Sub I'd suspect the receiver, could you borrow another to confirm.

With the hissing in your Ascent's, when was the last time you cleaned the panels ??

Well your Ascent i problem is probably just discharge, which can be solved with a good vacuuming of the panel. You've got something a little more serious going on with your receiver, probably with your LFE output.
Try running your speakers full range with your sub disconnected.

Dan

Disclaimer: I don't know a whole lot, but I just LOVE responding to these threads..... :D

jtwadsworth said:
My system:

Main: ML Ascent i
Center: ML Cinema i
Sub: ML Grotto
Surround/Rear: ML Fresco
Processor: Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi
Plasma: Pioneer Elite Pro-1120HD

Just today the following started to happen: Every 16db increase in volume starting with 78 (so 78, 62, 46, 30, 14), there is a loud (read LOUD) output to the SW (rumble and static) but only at that each of those db levels. I have no idea why/how this started but it is terribly annoying. Otherwise the system continues to work just fine. Any ideas how to figure this out?

On a second note, the Ascent i's sometimes have a "hiss" even when the receiver is turned off. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it...sometimes it's there and sometimes not.

Any help is appreciated.

jtw
Hola and welcome. I suspect your problem is the volume digital control that generates a low freq. transient. You need to service the receiver...you must explain to the service tech, your exact problem. Regarding the hiss, try the speaker without any speaker connector...and listen. If you have a noise, then you might locate from the exact point of the panel...probably a debris could be there...vacuum will help to remove it. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Roberto

Thanks all for the replies.

It is true I have discovered...the problem only exists when in some x.1 mode...regular music or Dolby modes still send signals to the SW but do not have the ever 16db problem.

jtw

jtwadsworth said:
Thanks all for the replies.

It is true I have discovered...the problem only exists when in some x.1 mode...regular music or Dolby modes still send signals to the SW but do not have the ever 16db problem.

jtw
Hola...it is good that now you know from where it is coming from...you have to service your receiver...try to find an expert service tech. in your area, or sent it to the factory for good service...sometimes what the factory does, is change the complete P.C board, and the problem is solved. I hope that your unit is still under warranty...happy listening,
Roberto.

Latest posts

Back