Help Modifiying HK 3490

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinJ

Reaction score
I am hoping that there are some users in this forum who could help me with parts to upgrade my receiver/amp. I got the idea after reading a review on a modified HK 3480 . The amp/receiver is an HK 3490 two channel.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_2/hk-3480-receiver-daves-5-2007-part-1.html

Here is a link to a place that modifies the HK receivers

http://www.stereodaves.com/hk3490.php

I do not want to send out the amp and have someone in my town who works with electronics. What type of modification do you think the company is doing to the amp? Where could I get the parts to do the modifications myself?

thanks,
Justin

Ask or search on diyaudio.com.

Maybe they just swap an op amp? I replaced the OP249's in my B&K preamp with LM4562 and it was jaw dropping.

If you have preamp outputs, use your upgrade money for a separate power amp instead (or is the Source powered?).

edit: I found what they do: they swap caps. So you could do that too, if you're brave enough to de-solder electrolytic caps?

"As explained briefly in another section (Evolution of Design), we have developed a new, innovative way to modify audio and video equipment. Dave had previously worked on modifying the machines by replacing capacitors that ran through certain key signal paths in the machines, thereby, improving the electron flow, allowing the machines to have much better fidelity in audio and video alike. Our proprietary modification is much more simple, but yet more thorough at the same time. It involves a process by which we improve the functioning and efficiency of all the capacitors and other electronic components of the modified unit, affecting not only specific signal paths, but also improving the electron flow, functioning and performance of the entire machine. This improved proprietary modification can turn simple, less expensive pieces of audio equipment into pieces that rival others costing thousands more."

Last edited:
What type of caps should I use? Where could I purchase these caps from? I have not really ever attempted something like this before but am thinking that new caps could not be that expensive.

I found this information on the op amp for the LM4562. What steps are needed to replace the op amp in HK receiver. I am just wondering how many op amps that I would need. I think the receiver sounds nice but I am thinking that a couple of changes could make it sound great. The amp has plenty of power, so possibly just cleaning up a couple of things could make a great inexpensive amp.

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4562.html#Overview

My wife is not going for a new amp and my budget is tight but the person in town has worked on electronics for years, so he may be able to do it for me.

Thanks for finding the information on how they are modifying the amps.

I want to try Elna Silmic II from Digi-key.

There might not even be any op amps inside your HK. Have you looked?

It will cost Money to have a technician do it. You should practice de-soldering on junk first and then tackle your HK.

Latest posts

Back