Had a great vacation this year...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Classified Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Just got back from my vacation--2 weeks at a Medieval Re-creation event called "The Pennsic War", which is one of the biggest events held by the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). There were about 12,000 people in attendance this year--all dressed in funny clothes and armed to the hilt...

I taught 6 workshops on "Period Letterpress Printing", helped cater a wedding (40 lbs of smoked pork loin with ginger apricot sauce, and about 8 other dished--it was a HIT!), tended bar for 2 BIG parties, and had a lot of fun.

Here is a picture of me the day we catered the wedding--dressed in 16th century Flemish garb. More pics to come later...

--Richard

Attachments

• Padraig_Pennsic36.jpg
    Padraig_Pennsic36.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 153
Been to the Renessaince festival in Magnolia (outside of Houston) about 24 years ago I guess now. Good time. Never made it back to another (none close by), but they look like fun and as though they are gaining in popularity.

Well, the SCA is not exactly a "RennFaire". It's an educational, research, and historic re-creation (not re-enactment) organization. We have tens of thousands of members worldwide, and sort of pride ourselves on the accuracy of much of our research and re-creation. Renn-faires are sort of a Disney-fied verson of what we do--most RennFaires are not very historical, are complerly a "for-profit" venture, and are essentially theme parks without the rides.

Don't get me wrong--I like going to RennFaires--but the game we play in the SCA is COMPLETELY different. And SCA events like Pennsic are not really open to the public--you pay for the whole two weeks whether you're there for 14 days or 10 hours. Pennsic War is really a whole different ball of wax...

You can met people there who are experts on 15th century Flemish illuminated manuscripts, or have been making accurate Maximillion Plate Armour by hand for 20 years, or are accomplished brewers, or extraordinarily gifted artists, weavers, potters, or seamstresses. And ALL of these people are perfectly happy to teach you all you are willing to learn--for FREE. At SCA events, you pay for the camping fee, and you feed yourself (either buying a meal plan or cooking your own meals)--all the other activites--classes, martial tournaments, arts & Science competitions--are all free. In fact the SCA is a not-for profit corporation, officially recognised by the government as a non-profit educational organization.

But as much as I love the SCA, I was VERY happy to get back home to my Sequels. Live music is FANTASTIC (and I heard a LOT of very interesting live music--from hurdy-gurdy buskers to period 14th-C German street bands, to middle-eastern tribal dance ensambles, to bagpipes), but I'll admit I missed the dance of the VU-meters and the delightful clarity of ESL's, in air-conditioned comfort... :D

--Richard

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that those RennFaire's were put on by the SCA. I've always wanted to attend an SCA event and now that you've described the difference I think I'd much prefer that to the fairs.

Richard,

Sweet stuff! I bet you really got into the mood after only a few hours in that environment.... and to stay for 2 weeks, I bet going back to reality was a slight shock...

Interesting and fun stuff, indeed!!

Joey :)

Well Ï don't really know what you guys are on about..but we do this....

here

every now and then in the Netherlands..I'm in there somewhere as well :D

That's my home town...Hellvoetsluis. BTW "fotos" = Photos :D

Last edited:
What is this "vacation" of which you speak?

OK, perhaps "vacation" isn't really the right term. I think, maybe "holiday" is a more accurate description of Pennsic for me... ;)

And considering my current employment status, I suppose "vacation" is sort of redundant.

--Richard

Back