Greetings from Sweden

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan

Reaction score
Hi,

So, a pair fresh Purity speakers are now standing in the living room.
How did that happen?
Well, after several years of hibernating HiFi-interrest I got myself a little Squeezebox. That got the whole thing going again.
Even if I rather liked my dear old Dahlquist DQ-10s I realized that perhaps some things might have happened the last 30 odd years. They were connected to a Sugden Optima 140 amp + Optima phono stage + Walker CJ 55 with Mission arm and OM 30 plus an ancient Philips CD 160.
But after the box I got curios what could be done, I listened to some different speakers like B&W, they didn't do much for me, Audiovector, likewise.
A pair of Focal speakers made me realize that it was possible to get a better sound.
But then, a mail to a friend whom I knew were interrested in good sound resulted in a tip about the Puritys.
Down to the local ML-store and everything fell into place :music:

For the moment they are connected directly to the Squeezebox but the next step will be to find a suitable pre amp and/or DAC.
In fact I am seriously contemplating this: http://www.lyngdorf.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=43

Or maybe som nice tube gear or...
Help, I am getting hooked again :devil:

For the moment they are connected directly to the Squeezebox but the next step will be to find a suitable pre amp and/or DAC.
In fact I am seriously contemplating this: http://www.lyngdorf.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=43

Or maybe som nice tube gear or...
Help, I am getting hooked again :devil:

Hi Stefan, that Lyngdorf is a great piece. It will improve the in-room sound, that's for sure.

Your current SqueezeBox to purity is actually a pretty good setup.

Welcome to the club! We all help each other spend money we don't have on things we didn't know we needed. ;)

Stefan,
I just returned from a business trip to Stockholm, Sweden (ITEC 2008). It is a beautiful city and I wish I could have spent more time there and stopped by for a visit. I was looking at magazines at a stand in Central Station and saw they had about a dozen different audio magazines and I found several music stores so it is obviously a place where people take their music seriously.

It sounds like you have an excellent system and as you're finding out, there is no end.

regards,
Craig

Craig,

Good to hear that you enjoyed your trip to Sweden.
I think you are right about the availability of good equipment here, in spite of beeing a small country we do get quality gear from all over the world, even though most people settle for sub-$ 1000 surround systems from the big stores.

I did get the Lyngdorf DPA-1 preamp, and it really made a big difference.
There are some nasty bass resonances in the room but the Lyngdorf fixes that just fine, so now the bass is tight and clear and the imaging more precise. Miller, Wooten, Hellborg and Pastorius really seems to like it.
The possibility to use digital out from the SB into the preamp is another plus.

Apart from that I got another power supply for the SB from this company: http://www.harmonydesign.se/index_english.htm
It is not really official but available and yet another improvement.

Finally a Transparent PI 8 has found its way into the system and again a bit more detail, imaging and clarity.

Now I am hoping to be able to audition the CLX soon (if I dare, I just can't figure out how to sneak them in the living room unnoticed).

Latest posts

Back