Greetings and Salutations!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrat

Reaction score
Welllll
I just brought home a Floor Demo of Vantages,decent price so I could not resist,they have some stiff competition to replace my aging Apogee Stages. They are being powered by a Carver TFM 55 that rocked the Apogees very nicely and to pick up the very low end a Velodyne spl 1200 the Pre/Pro is a Pioneer Elite 84, main source is my PC connected digital out to the Pioneer using MediaMonkey as a jukebox 50% flac / 50% mp3. mp3 mostly till I get around to converting several hundred LP,s

I am assuming they are somewhat broke in, it would appear that the blue LED on the front of one speaker is much fainter then the other, what purpose does this led serve?

Hah! My initial foray into high end audio was with the Apogee Stages, which I (reluctantly) had to sell because of space constraints. I eventually bought the ML Aerius i's, as I felt they offered similar speed and transparency as the Apogees, just in a smaller footprint. Boy, do I miss that visceral impact of the Stages planar bass panel, but from what I've read, sounds like the new CLX's have that same impact. It'll be interesting to hear your comparison of the Stage and Vantage! As for the Vantages LED, I'm not sure, but (like the Summits) it might have a switch or knob to adjust it's intensity. Hopefully another Vantage owner will chime in. Anyways, welcome to the club!

Welcome! The Stages are great speakers. I've been fortunate enough to hear them in a good room and I'm not sure if I'd be shopping for new speakers if I had those. ;) I'm sure you'll find the Vantages an improvement, though. I'd love to hear your impressions of the two.

what purpose does this led serve?

basically indication that the speaker is 'active' and has received a 'signal' from your amplifier. Internal amp is on a powering your bass driver. When a signal is not present for approx 5-10 min it shuts down.

Also....welcome !

basically indication that the speaker is 'active' and has received a 'signal' from your amplifier. Internal amp is on a powering your bass driver. When a signal is not present for approx 5-10 min it shuts down.

Also....welcome !

Any idea as to why one would be brighter than the other?

Well 12 hours into having them in my room:
First impression DAMN these will play MUCH louder than my Apogees (or I am less concerned about damaging them)
They MAY have a little better resolution yet they MAY lack the "presence" of my Apogees, maybe I don't have them quite totally dialed in yet
They certainly LOOK better in my room than my Apogees and I am nowhere near as paranoid about them (Vantages) German Shepard Dog tail + Apogee Ribbons=FEAR
not to mention they are fragile (Apogees) in general

The Summits have a knob on the rear to adjust LED brighness...I assume the Vantages do also.

Sounds like fine tuning of location is in order. Check your PM for my phone # and give me a call.

Last edited:
Nope no such animal

OK - I have Vistas, and assume the Vantages are similar.

The purpose of the LED is to indicate charging of the panels. The charging circuit is on a music sense circuit, so charging only takes place when the panels are receiving a signal. This prevents them permanently acting as an electrostatic dust filter in your home, ruining the panels.

Now, what you see on front is not the LED, it is a plastic tube to carry the light from the actual LED behind it. The actual LED is held in place by two stupid little plastic clips, and if this has become dislodged then it will not shine directly into the plastic tube and will consequently be dimmer. I'd say this is the most likely reason why you are experiencing this.

To check, you're going to have to remove the panel/woofer cover assembly as one unit - there are two allen screws at both the top and bottom of the woofer cabinet. Be careful! Ensure the panels are discharged first too! Maybe best to seek detailed instructions from ML.

OK - I have Vistas, and assume the Vantages are similar.

The purpose of the LED is to indicate charging of the panels. The charging circuit is on a music sense circuit, so charging only takes place when the panels are receiving a signal. This prevents them permanently acting as an electrostatic dust filter in your home, ruining the panels.

Now, what you see on front is not the LED, it is a plastic tube to carry the light from the actual LED behind it. The actual LED is held in place by two stupid little plastic clips, and if this has become dislodged then it will not shine directly into the plastic tube and will consequently be dimmer. I'd say this is the most likely reason why you are experiencing this.

To check, you're going to have to remove the panel/woofer cover assembly as one unit - there are two allen screws at both the top and bottom of the woofer cabinet. Be careful! Ensure the panels are discharged first too! Maybe best to seek detailed instructions from ML.

Holy carp I bet this spot on it makes sense
THANX sir

The LED

I noticed sometimes one looks dimmer than the other, but it's only because I'm viewing the speaker at a slightly different angle, like when I'm not seated exactly in between them. When I get up close and view them from the same angle, they look fine.

Enjoy your new babies!

Latest posts

Back