ETC spikes & Sequels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPD

Reaction score
I was looking at the ETC spikes in the Martin Logan online store.

While many vintage models were listed as being compatible with the ETC spikes, the Sequels were not listed.

Is this an oversight, or do the ETC spikes just not fit the Sequels?

If they don't, is there a good alternative?

Sequel, Sequel II, SL3 -->> all use 1/4-20 spikes. Thus, compatibility. Place order today. ;)

Not sure that the fancier, polished spikes offer any real upgrade to the one that came with your speakers....

~VDR

Last edited:
That's the other part of my question.

I have the basic black thin spikes right now.

What are the ETC spikes supposed to do as an upgrade?

Is it even possible that they CAN do anything? ;-)

Hola...they will clean up the bass of your Sequels, go for them sure!!!
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Is it even possible that they CAN do anything? ;-)

They can and do. I come from a background in micro-vibration and it's effect on opto-mechanical devices, but the same issues apply to electro mechanical devices. This type of isolation is widely used in many indistries for the same reasons.

Spikes in audio applications are used for "Mechanical Grounding". This both allows a path for spurious vibrations to follow (they drain away from the component in question and dissipate as heat - the ever reducing cross section serving as a waveguide), as well as providing a reduced contact point on the surface that the component is mated to, thus preventing the translation of any of that surfaces vibrations being transmitted back into the component. A very effective and cheap tweak, especially when combined with mass loading.

Regarding the construction as well as the pricing question asked in another thread, the construction of the spikes allows you to couple them tightly to the base of your speaker and still be able to adjust the height of the spike, and thus allow for changes in the tilt of your speaker. We all know what effect rake angle has on our Martin Logans, and how minute adjustments of same can effect imaging and soundstage. The $50.00 price is for a 2 pack of the spikes, with a $150 adder for an 8 pack, or a $100 adder for a 6 pack, Thus, if you have speakers that require 4 feet per speaker (Summits, Vista etc) it will cost you a total of $200 for both speakers, and if you have a 3 foot setup (ReQuests, SL3's etc. ) it will cost you $150 total for both speakers. Considering the construction and the fact that there are multiple machined components required to make them, the price doesn't seem too far out of line.

Attachments

• spike_vista_vantage.jpg
    spike_vista_vantage.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:
They can and do. I come from a background in micro-vibration and it's effect on opto-mechanical devices, but the same issues apply to electro mechanical devices. This type of isolation is widely used in many indistries for the same reasons.

Spikes in audio applications are used for "Mechanical Grounding". This both allows a path for spurious vibrations to follow (they drain away from the component in question and dissipate as heat - the ever reducing cross section serving as a waveguide), as well as providing a reduced contact point on the surface that the component is mated to, thus preventing the translation of any of that surfaces vibrations being transmitted back into the component. A very effective and cheap tweak, especially when combined with mass loading.

Regarding the construction as well as the pricing question asked in another thread, the construction of the spikes allows you to couple them tightly to the base of your speaker and still be able to adjust the height of the spike, and thus allow for changes in the tilt of your speaker. We all know what effect rake angle has on our Martin Logans, and how minute adjustments of same can effect imaging and soundstage. The $50.00 price is for a 2 pack of the spikes, with a $150 adder for an 8 pack, or a $100 adder for a 6 pack, Thus, if you have speakers that require 4 feet per speaker (Summits, Vista etc) it will cost you a total of $200 for both speakers, and if you have a 3 foot setup (ReQuests, SL3's etc. ) it will cost you $150 total for both speakers. Considering the construction and the fact that there are multiple machined components required to make them, the price doesn't seem too far out of line.

Right. But he already has spikes. So the question is, what will the new spikes do that the ones he already has won't?

Right. But he already has spikes. So the question is, what will the new spikes do that the ones he already has won't?

To which I replied "the construction of the spikes allows you to couple them tightly to the base of your speaker and still be able to adjust the height of the spike, and thus allow for changes in the tilt of your speaker."

What I should have added is that the base of the ETC spike is roughly 25 times the area of the standard spike, thus the increase in coupling, and that by turning the knurled knob you can adjust the rake without effecting the coupled surface. On the standard spike you have to loosen both nuts move the threaded portion of the spike in or out of the speaker, tighten both nuts, check the effect and repeat as necessary until you've achieved the goal. The ETC spikes make this process much easier and more precise. This describes the 2 most significant benefits. Additionally, they are more aesthetically pleasing.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
So I got the ETC cones and installed them last night, replacing the original crude threaded bare spikes.

Noticeable improvement right away!

Hope no one minds if I ask a question on this thread, along the same lines. just got my Spires, Can I test the difference with the spikes that came with the speakers before I buy the the upgrades, and I have wooden floors so can I put something under the speakers to protect my floor(like what). Also they said that the upgrade spikes come with cups to go under the spikes that would protect my floors, is that so?? Thanks Basically, I just want to see if I hear a difference using spikes, right now my speakers sound so great cannot imagine an improvement possible? I will be making a post of my perception of the spires, first time ML owner.

Hope no one minds if I ask a question on this thread, along the same lines. just got my Spires, Can I test the difference with the spikes that came with the speakers before I buy the the upgrades, and I have wooden floors so can I put something under the speakers to protect my floor(like what). Also they said that the upgrade spikes come with cups to go under the spikes that would protect my floors, is that so?? Thanks Basically, I just want to see if I hear a difference using spikes, right now my speakers sound so great cannot imagine an improvement possible? I will be making a post of my perception of the spires, first time ML owner.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how are you going to evaluate how the spikes sound on your speakers, at home, without buying them?

Buy testing the spikes that came with the Spires as to how it sounds without spikes to decide if I need any type of spikes. But with the sound I am getting right now, I feel it is foolish to think about spiking.

Back