ESL - endless need of panel replacements

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about unplugging the speakers when not in use, especially if they aren't going to be used within 24 hrs. That could help some, especially if they sit unused for a day or more. Not having a charge on the panels will drastically cut down on for particulates depositing on there.
There is a significant consumption of the speakers even though they are not in use but still connected to the power plug ???

There is a significant consumption of the speakers even though they are not in use but still connected to the power plug ???
Yes I agree with Robert. I used to leave them connected before i had problems ...now I have my entire setup completely powered off the mains daily. Only turn the mains on the entire setup when I am using it. I have a power conditioner upstream so I just keep that entire thing off. Saves speakers from charge and also their adapters and everything else as well.

The main thing is that unplugging allows the static charge on the panels to dissipate. The lower the charge, the less dust and other particles will deposit on the panels/mylar. Eventually, if left unplugged long enough, the charge on the panel will be gone.
When the panel is charged, the negative charge attracts dust and dirt. The air in your home must have a lot of dust and suspended particles, so getting the charge off the panels will help you.
The charged panels are a bit like how electrostatic air cleaners work, minus the fan.

The main thing is that unplugging allows the static charge on the panels to dissipate. The lower the charge, the less dust and other particles will deposit on the panels/mylar. Eventually, if left unplugged long enough, the charge on the panel will be gone.
When the panel is charged, the negative charge attracts dust and dirt. The air in your home must have a lot of dust and suspended particles, so getting the charge off the panels will help you.
The charged panels are a bit like how electrostatic air cleaners work, minus the fan.
I mean yes ofc if they are being used, but I assumed that plugged but not in use they wouldn't be charged or marginally.

Well noted, will unplug them from now on.

Don't every modern ML enter standby mode and disconnect the panel's power supply after some time without audio signal?
My Montis do that, it's easily perceived when you start playing music and during the first second the speakers are 'dead' and then they charge and start sounding.

Don't every modern ML enter standby mode and disconnect the panel's power supply after some time without audio signal?
My Montis do that, it's easily perceived when you start playing music and during the first second the speakers are 'dead' and then they charge and start sounding.
I'm not 100% sure that the auto sense circuit cuts all of the power going to the panel. I'm going by what I read from ML, and they say to have the panel unplugged for X amount of hours before you vacuum them. To me that's significant. If the circuit totally cut the power, why would they say that? I'm a bit confused about this too. If my panels were dying as fast as this case, I'd unplug them out of precaution.

Wow, am I ever glad I found this thread !
So I guess a wash in order for my used (very little) SL3 panels.
Any precautions on the type and amount of mild detergent?

I must ask though..
Given that these are SL3s, did ML use an EQ circuit in this nodel?
I thought I read that somewhere.
Lastly, anyone know whether the SL3s were before or after the switch to lighter Mylar?
Or is that a myth?

Thanks a ton folks

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure that the auto sense circuit cuts all of the power going to the panel. I'm going by what I read from ML, and they say to have the panel unplugged for X amount of hours before you vacuum them. To me that's significant. If the circuit totally cut the power, why would they say that? I'm a bit confused about this too. If my panels were dying as fast as this case, I'd unplug them out of precaution.
I think they say that because it's the easiest way they have to be sure the panels are discharged when cleaned.
'Be sure that the speakers don't receive any audio signal for two days, bla bla' sounds confusing, and, in a house with several people, you would have to put a 'don't turn on system', etc.
More trouble than simply unplugging the speakers.
But, I do believe the panels are discharged when not in use.

Back