Electrical transient suppression

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benleeys

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am hoping that the electrical experts amongst us might have some advice for me.

The power switch for lowering and lifting my electric movie screen apparently causes a power surge whenever activated. When audio/video system is playing, the surge causes it to mute for a few seconds. Exactly which particular item is affected, I cannot say. For whatever it's worth, I have 2 RGPCs in my system, but they do not appear to be effective in this instance. Short of calling in the electrician, is there a simple solution to this problem?

I would try hooking the electric movie screen to a separate circuit in the house and see if it makes a difference. The load on the current (common) circuit might be close to it maximum rated load when you activate the screen.

In some cases there could be a flaw with the house fuse pending on what type of fuses you have. I've personally experienced hot fuses when in use due to not being secured properly. :mad:

I would try hooking the electric movie screen to a separate circuit in the house and see if it makes a difference. The load on the current (common) circuit might be close to it maximum rated load when you activate the screen.

In some cases there could be a flaw with the house fuse pending on what type of fuses you have. I've personally experienced hot fuses when in use due to not being secured properly. :mad:

Enilsen,

Thanks for responding. The electric screen is on a different circuit from the system which uses two dedicated circuits, both on a separate ELCB from lighting and other power circuits in the house. The fuses at the supply box are those circuit breaker type which trip when there's an overload.

Last edited:
Ben, It could be in the switch but I suspect the motor that operates the screen. Problem with commutator, armature, brushes , etc that's creating the excessive current draw. Is it a momentary type of switch ?? I'm assuming it's not a low voltage motor operating off a wall wart, so it has the same draw characteristics of a compressor (fridge, freezer,Ac) upon start-up.

Ben, It could be in the switch but I suspect the motor that operates the screen. Problem with commutator, armature, brushes , etc that's creating the excessive current draw. Is it a momentary type of switch ?? I'm assuming it's not a low voltage motor operating off a wall wart, so it has the same draw characteristics of a compressor (fridge, freezer,Ac) upon start-up.

No, Dave, it's not the momentary type. It's a 3-pole switch - press one way, the screen goes up, press the other and the screen comes down. The switch is connected directly to the supply, ie it's a mains switch. You think it's a DC motor working off an AC-DC converter all packaged inside the screen housing? Would a couple of capacitors across the switch terminals cure the problem?

Latest posts

Back