Earglasses!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes the gain in my left ear isn't what it should be :mad: So I wear my baseball cap with the bill pulled over my left ear ;)

Maybe one ear drum is beating louder, and you need a bass trap, or perhaps a "wax" trap! :D

I'll be the first to say it, but if I didn't, I know this thread would some how get back on the topic of those ear wax candles. Ha ha ha!

Here's an interesting audiophile tweak... though would likely generate a few snickers if worn in public!

http://www.earglasses.com/

Ha ha. About a year ago, a buddy of mine and I were drinking home brewed beer and listening to his stereo. We were talking about all the tweaks there are in the audio field and surely, we could think of something that hasn't yet been invented. Well, we thought of creating a baseball style cap with drop down panels that would cup your ears. We had a good laugh while we drank some more homebrew!

A word from the source

Small world: I'm the guy who invented and markets Earglasses. I originally designed them for my fellow audiophiles. At the time, I wrote for one of the high end audio magazines ("Sounds like..."). I soon discovered that most audiophiles wouldn't be caught dead wearing the things: "my ears are better than yours!"

I happily wear one of my headsets whenever I listen to my home theater system which features Martin-Logan speakers at all points. That way I can keep the volume down at the level my wife demands, and still hear the details that I look for...

Now where the hell did I stow the ear trumpet my sainted grandfather bequeathed me before he passed on? :D

Sometimes the gain in my left ear isn't what it should be :mad: So I wear my baseball cap with the bill pulled over my left ear ;)

Hi Neil,

I have exactly the same problem, left ear deficit. Will definitely try the baseball cap remedy.

What a great system ( totally jealous)

Small world: I'm the guy who invented and markets Earglasses. I originally designed them for my fellow audiophiles. At the time, I wrote for one of the high end audio magazines ("Sounds like..."). I soon discovered that most audiophiles wouldn't be caught dead wearing the things: "my ears are better than yours!"

I happily wear one of my headsets whenever I listen to my home theater system which features Martin-Logan speakers at all points. That way I can keep the volume down at the level my wife demands, and still hear the details that I look for...

Welcome!

Pics... we need pics (of your system, not necessarily of you wearing the earglasses :D )

Welcome!

Pics... we need pics (of your system, not necessarily of you wearing the earglasses :D )

Here's a shot of the front end of the home theater system, inside my home-made cabinet. I'm no longer much of a fan of high-end equipment. For one thing, my ears are no longer in top form. For another, items like electronics and turntables no longer reflect anything like a reasonable price/value relationship. So I've kept an old Kenwood turntable and Grado cartridge, replaced a Futterman tube preamp with an NAD that works just fine, and replaced Tony DeChiro amps with an Onkyo Home Theater receiver that sounds just dandy, thanks. Oh, and my XLO Signature cables throughout still sound good to me, too. The speaker complement shown includes two M-L CLSz's, an ML center channel unit, and two M&K "Bottom End" dual voice-coil subwoofers.
229549_1710073671538_3888148_n.jpg

And here's a tight closeup snapshot of my ear, wearing a prototype of my new "now you can wear them one ear at a time" design for my latest and greatest Earglasses™ Sound Magnifier:

527650_3352860100172_153207379_n.jpg

Hi ear,

I assume you listen with the cabinet doors closed even if your ears aren't what they used to be. Nice looking set up.

And yes, I do believe in "ear wax candles". Have used them on several occasions.

GG

A simple experiment is to cup your hand in a manner similar to the picture "earglasses" gave us, you will notice a substantial increase in volume and the sound will be more focussed. I have used this to "tune" my speaker placement. However, since it is hard to sustain this position :ROFL: so I can't say if there are any deleterious effects to the soundstage or other aural aspects.

I remember that something like this was once advertised in TAS. If the cost was reasonable, I would give it a try. Heck, I have spent a few good bucks on other tweaks.

Last edited:
And yes, I do believe in "ear wax candles". Have used them on several occasions.

GG
Thanks for the for good laugh, GG!

from wiki:
"Material that appears after ear candling, sometimes alleged to be earwax and toxins, was found to be residue from the candle itself."

Back