Crack The Sky... Anyone ever heard of them?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Spotify has just about everything that they've ever done.

They sound polished and talented. Even their stuff from 1975, 1976 was good.

It's weird to see that they seem to put albums out in spurts every decade, but have been pretty busy lately for the last decade.

Their story is a strange one.. Rolling Stone reviewed their first record and gave it "debut album of the year" honors. Their record company was new and struggled with album distribution. Baltimore got fully stocked with LP's and received radio airplay and they became huge there.. and also in Pittsburgh, their hometown. Their 2nd LP was equally amazing... not sure why they didn't get bought out of their contract up by a major label, but they didn't. Such a shame this band didn't get huge.

Here's a fave from their first LP. She's a Dancer

Based on this article, I gave this band a listen.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-best-u-s-prog-band-youve-never-heard-707669/

WOW!! How can a band THIS good be this obscure!?!?!?!

Crack the Sky..................Yes I remember them.

In High school 1975-1976 in 10th grade I think, I did an album cover in art class with their name on it. I called it the "Over the Bridge" LP something they never actually did. It had a flying saucer flying over a bridge in a post apocalyptic wasteland, I remember using lots of yellow, not sure if it was for the sky or ground but it was sunny. It was the first time that I was really comfortable with watercolor besides the black and white ink washes I was good at.

In another art class we got to work with silk screen and did some tee shirts, I did Super Tramp, drew a sexy prostitute in platform shoes - it got a lot of attention.

I listened to the song linked in the opening post, sounds real pop-ish now, but I also liked ELO at the time so it all starts to fit in retrospect.

Have you guys ever heard of "Horse Lips"?

I have a good story on that band.

Back