Connecting two 8008BB to a SL3; is it worth it ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming a budget of $1000 for pre-amp, there's a Rogue Audio Metis listed for $600 and a ModWright SWL-9.0SE for $1000 on A'gon. I have the ModWright and it's an excellent unit! I've written about it in my system page.

Spike

Assuming a budget of $1000 for pre-amp, there's a Rogue Audio Metis listed for $600 and a ModWright SWL-9.0SE for $1000 on A'gon. I have the ModWright and it's an excellent unit! I've written about it in my system page.

Spike

Those are interesting...let me search for any record of synergy with the Aragon amp(s).

You know, one of the things that make this hobby so expensive is the illusive search for synergy. Forget about the urge to upgrade; that wouldn't be that expensive if the new gear automatically matches right it. The problem is, once you satisfy the immediate urge of acquiring one gear, you are then faced with the need to change the next equipment down the link; be it a different preamp, cables, new cable lifters…you get the idea. It is this hidden consequential cost that makes the whole upgrade thing so damn expensive.

Last edited:
I went ahead and bought the Sonic Frontiers Line 3! Significantly more details than
the Aurum and 'am very happy.

But it would be disingenuous not to mention that there is a lack of "boldness" on the mid-range; the Line 3 sounds a little thin on vocals as compared to the Aurum.

Next...a second 8008BB to bi-amp.

Thanks for the advices

I went ahead and bought the Sonic Frontiers Line 3! Significantly more details than
the Aurum and 'am very happy.
Congrats on the new toy!

But it would be disingenuous not to mention that there is a lack of "boldness" on the mid-range; the Line 3 sounds a little thin on vocals as compared to the Aurum.
Hmm, sounds like you'll need to roll some NOS tubes.

By the way, part of the reason I went with the Line 3 and not a line 2 or a BAT is because I rediscovered an old post on which one a guy did a blind A/B test between the Arogon 8008BB and the Mark Levinson No33H monoblocks ($19,950). On that test the
was no clear winner. That was why I bought the Aragon 8008BB.

Recently I was re-reading that particular post (I have saved it in my PC) and to my supprise the preamp used for the A/B test was none other than the Sonic Frontier Line 3! That assured me of a good much. You see, I don't have the luxury of switching gears for home testing...besides, I cannot afford being a gearphile anyway. I want to buy once and enjoy the music.

Cheers

Back