Aragon 4004 Mk II amp just arrived!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubar1764

Reaction score
Yes, I know, it's been forever since I posted. Been busy making a buck, planning this, working at that, etc.

Somewhere along the way, I found an Aragon 4004 MkII on eBay. This was the amp I lusted after in law school. So, I figured why not scratch that itch. There was someone selling two of them on separate eBay auctions. I bid on one, figuring they'd go for much much more than I'd be interested in paying, bargain hunter that I am. . .btw, I've seen these go for as much as $900+ on eBay.

Make a long story short, no one was watching them so I picked up one. And then the other. . .did I mention my Aerius i's aren't biamp?!

Anyways, when they arrived, I unpacked it and ended up rewiring my entire system. Yikes. That was a chore. The amp (like the previous Adcom 545II) added some interference to the system so I placed it on a bookshelf, away from the other equipment, inches behind the right speaker.

And then I fired it up.

At first, I didn't hear any difference. Really. No difference. Then some very very subtle differences. The sound seems more free-flowing. Less strained. I saw a dramatic improvement in the bass once I heard a THX introduction.

Because the speaker cables are a little shorter than ideal for one speaker, I brought the speakers in closer. Originally, I had an almost equilateral triangle for the speaker and listener. The toe in was 30degrees towards the listener.

Here's the new room set up:
15x22 (integrated living & dining room so approx 15x8 of the room is dining area)
Left speaker is 5'4" from side wall and 3'4" from rear wall (all measurements are from center of the front of the stat panel). Right speaker is 9'10" from side wall and also 3'4" from rear. Rear are book cases that eventually will be filled with books (minus one shelf for the Aragon!).
Toe in is approximately 15 degrees. Speakers are 6'5" from each other (again, center to center) with a 55" rear projection TV in between. 11'4" from the center of the speaker to the listener. The sofa is flush against the back of the wall - yes, I know, far from ideal. Sitting forward, the sound changes dramatically!

Electronics:
Linn Wakonda preamp
Aragon 4004 Mk II (have a spare )
MusicWave Plus speaker cables
OFC interconnects
Sony 200 disc carousel
Panasonic DVD
iScan Pro scaler

Speakers:
Aerius i purchased in 1998 . . .looked a pair of Prodigys recently. Decided they might overwhelm the room both visually and sonically.

Back