Compairing Blue Jean cables to another

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioraptured

Reaction score
Thanks Captain-Tinker; this thread is for anyone who has compaired the BlueJean cables to another brand and can describe the difference or tell which they preferred and how the sound improved or was diminished. I have Signal cable and they sound pretty good, but wanted to try this BlueJean company before going to something like Cardas or Transparent from Audiogon. They would go between my Aragon power and pre amp. Thanks in advance...

I ordered some BJC LC-1 this week to make some longer cables. I should have it next week. It will be replacing cables with Canare LV-77s and the same Canare RCA connectors Blue Jean uses. If you want to try them I'll send you a pair to compare with your cables if you want to pay postage on them. I would be curious how they compare. If fact if someone else wants to try them you could send them the cables and we might get feed back on how they compare to different cables.

If you like them I'll make you a set it you want to buy which ever cable and Canare connectors. In the past I bought the LV-77s from Markertek.com it comes different colors. That cable is .71 ft and the RCAP-C77 Canare connectors are $3.28 ea rubber boots are about .40ea so a 3' set would be about $19 plus what ever shipping you would have.
Last year when I upgraded my HT i bit the bullet and bought the Canare stripper, crimp tool and die set. It was expensive but its nice to have cables just the right length.

It takes maybe 10 minutes to make a pair of cables.

If have enough BJC LC-1 left over I'll make a pair of those to pass around.

Compairing Blue Jean cables

Thanks Brad225; as a matter of fact I am going to the meet in MD/DC/VA in two weeks and may have a chance to get everyones opinion. I will send my address to you. You may have saved many dollars for our club members.

Audioraptured,
The only thing I am replacing is the Monster XP 16 guage cable, which has performed admirably so far, but since I have nothing to really compare it to, this will be an interesting experience. I ordered the 10 guage speaker wire. Also the interconnects that I am currently using are pretty much just some old composite video cables that I have had lying around for quite some time, and I doubt very much that they are 75 ohm, or even coaxial for that matter. They are thinner than the cable on my mouse, about the size of the cable on cheap headphones. So I am really looking forward to hearing if there really is a difference. So once I get it all set up, I'll be reporting.

-capT

Audiorapture,

Here is a link to the site that showed me what to buy to make the cables.

http://white.hometheatertalk.com/diycable.htm.

The only difference in the tools is I bought the Canare Crimp Handle as the mentioned they had a little bit of problem with the one from Parts Express.
I only bought the Crimp Die for the RCAP-C77 connectors. They can be used for any of your single ended cables.

I also found that Westlake Electronics had the RCAP-C77 connectors
for $2.89.

http://www.westlake-electronic.com/...s&detail=yes&rfr=froogle&item_no=CAN-RCAP-C77

Last edited:
As promised, I finally got my stuff and got it all set up over the last two nights. Man that 10 guage wire is some heavy and stiff stuff! I poked wires under my thumbnail several times while trying to bend the ends of the wires over the compression screws on the spades and the banannas. Then burned it on my wife's hair dryer trying to do the shrink wrapping. :haha1: Owell. It all worked very well. I ordered a total of 130 ft of the speaker cable, along with a digital audio cable, subwoofer cable, and the 6 channel sacd analog audio cable with the techflex (which looks way cool by the way!). So after getting it all set up I sat down and re-configured the DVD player and the receiver so it knew about my surrounds and my new sub, and started listening. Wow! I really thought it sounded good before, and I was startled to hear that the sounds were quite a bit cleaner, and clearer. I can't really say that it made any other kinds of changes, such as the lows going lower, and the highs higher as some are wont to say, but there was a palpable difference, mainly in clarity. Though the fact that I used 10 guage this time as opposed to 16 guage may have been the main factor here more than anything else. All in all I have to say I am very satisfied with Blue Jeans cable. It looks good, it's solid as a rock, physically, and sounds excellent! The only thing I can really do at this point to make it sound better is to replace the rears with some ML's and get a more powerful amp. But that will come in time. Probably not this year, and maybe not next year, I'll have to see about that. I think I've worn out my welcome with my wife when it comes to getting audio equipment. Though I have to admit, she's been a real trooper and a very good sport letting me get all that I have in the last few months. So I have NOTHING to complain about. :D

:musicnote:

-capT

Audiorapture,

Here is a link to the site that showed me what to buy to make the cables.

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm

The only difference in the tools is I bought the Canare Crimp Handle as the mentioned they had a little bit of problem with the one from Parts Express.
I only bought the Crimp Die for the RCAP-C77 connectors. They can be used for any of your single ended cables.

I also found that Westlake Electronics had the RCAP-C77 connectors
for $2.89.

http://www.westlake-electronic.com/...s&detail=yes&rfr=froogle&item_no=CAN-RCAP-C77
Brad225 - The DYICable link was very informative when you first posted it. But now when I want to get the recommended tools to make my own cables, the link is broken. Do you have somewhere else I can access these instructions?

EDIT: Oops, never mind. I did a google search on DIYCable.htm (which I should have done in the first place), and discovered a copy of the instructions at http://white.hometheatertalk.com/diycable.htm.

Last edited:
Ken,
I have built several power cables from DIY Cable and the parts supplied are very good and the price was also very good. I have had these cables, as well as others, in my system for over two years without any issue.

Jeff:cool:

Back