CLS Transformer Modication 4 Mid/High only ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, does anyone know to modify the transformer so that it is for the mids and highs only.

Are you asking about a crossover function?

That is, you want to limit the ammount of low-frequency the panel might need to cope with, right?

Two approaches here, one is to mod the electronics assembly of the CLS to essentially have a higher frequency crossover point (the CLS electronics do contain a high-pass section, with cutoff around 30hz IIRC).

The other is to put an electronic crossover before the amp driving the CLS.

What processor or preamp do you have ?

Have a sub you will be routing the low-frequency energy to? Does it have a crossover?

Cheers,

Are you asking about a crossover function?

That is, you want to limit the ammount of low-frequency the panel might need to cope with, right?

Two approaches here, one is to mod the electronics assembly of the CLS to essentially have a higher frequency crossover point (the CLS electronics do contain a high-pass section, with cutoff around 30hz IIRC).

Cheers,

you are correct - i wish to limit the low frequencies to my cls panels as transparently as possible. with that being said I would like to avoid a electronic crossover since the system is high resolution

how does one modify the transformers to do so ?

btw, i have the audio research ls-25mkii for a pre-amp and the descent for a subwoofer.

you are correct - i wish to limit the low frequencies to my cls panels as transparently as possible. with that being said I would like to avoid a electronic crossover since the system is high resolution

how does one modify the transformers to do so ?

btw, i have the audio research ls-25mkii for a pre-amp and the descent for a subwoofer.

OK, old-school approach it is. I don't beleive modding the transformer is the path to frequency filtering. Replacing a specific Capacitor or two in the CLS electronics unit is probably the trick.

Which parts and what values are best handled by requesting the info from the factory. If you let them know what cutoff frequency you are looking to achieve, they will tell you the parts and component values to use.

Your Descent has a quality high-pass filter selectable for 40 or 70 Hz. Why not use that?

thanks for the info...

unfortunately the factory wasnt too helpful in offering this info (they suggest electronic crossover or cap in before the speaker cable). here is the problem with those solutions:

- a really transparent electronic crossover (ie pass labs ) is about $4k and add another $1200 in interconnects and power cables. hence this is a really $$$$ solution
-the cap in the speaker cable isnt the best solution due to the load the cls presents to the amp

the crossover through the descent sub is a major compromise to the signal ( I run a completely balanced system from transport to amp (all xlo signature 2) and would be a very expensive.

that pretty much leaves me with modifying the cls - that would be the most transparent and I would suspect the least expensive solution.

OK, old-school approach it is. I don't beleive modding the transformer is the path to frequency filtering. Replacing a specific Capacitor or two in the CLS electronics unit is probably the trick.

Which parts and what values are best handled by requesting the info from the factory. If you let them know what cutoff frequency you are looking to achieve, they will tell you the parts and component values to use.

they werent to helpful on this one.. any suggestions ?

Did you try and contact Ken Ealy ? He reworks them That I know !

the crossover through the descent sub is a major compromise to the signal (I run a completely balanced system from transport to amp (all xlo signature 2) and would be a very expensive.
No, you wouldn't want to use the Descent then. I'm curious why you'd want to high-pass a CLS panel in the first place? You could always buy a ML hybrid panel that doesn't go below 150-250 Hz?

No, you wouldn't want to use the Descent then. I'm curious why you'd want to high-pass a CLS panel in the first place? You could always buy a ML hybrid panel that doesn't go below 150-250 Hz?

that cls IIa is a really nice panel !!!!! perfect for mid/high application

checked in with ken ealey - no luck on the mod.

i'll try a vandersteen x2-b for now and see how it does (goes between preamp to amp).. if it works well then i'll upgrade to the high resolution vandersteen crossover for the 5.

Last edited:
Back