CLS II: New panels or new Logans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrit

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I have the CLS II but one panel is very low so I should change the panels. Because of this, I listen with a Magnepan 1.6 at the moment. Very nice, but the Logan sound is still in my ears! So my question:
Would you recommend changing the panels of the CLS or would you recommend to buy a new Logan like the Montis. They have great reviews here in europe, but I never heard them.

Thanks for your advices.

Greetings Gerrit

Hello Neighbour !

personally, I never would change a CLS2 for a Montis. But i have to explain this a little more....

Since 1987 I had all CLS models and changed to a pair of Summits a couple of years ago. No doubt, the Summits are great and outperform any CLS in terms of dynamics, but I still miss some of the outstanding abilities of my bi-amped CLS2-es.

Its mainly a matter of what you prefer. The much larger panel of a CLS produces a bigger soundstage and a fullrange ESL still may have advantages over a hybrid design, although, the newer ML-hybrids show a perfect integration of the woofers. Therefore the Summit was the first hybrid ESL that really could convince me. And: it may go very, very loud without showing any distortion. I´ve also heard some other models down the product line and really was surprised by the perfect ESL crossover and bass integration.

So if I recover my personal feeling about this: If you were happy with your CLS and love the very special way they perform, keep it and go for new panels. If you miss the ultimate punch, go for an up-to-date hybrid.

I also could offer to audition my Summits as we are located not too far.

Br
Johann

Last edited:
I would find it very, very hard to part with my CLS II z's. I don't think anything but the CLX would hold enough allure for me to consider abandoning them.

Hola. The CLSs are the most magic speaker that ML had ever produced. Right now I am a CLXs user, and still find the CLSs to be an amazing speakers. They are a truly an "open window" and you do forget that you are listening to an audio system. What you listen is the performer(s) there, in your own place! Now, the Montis is one of the best of the new ML line. There are magic too with its sound. I find that there is a great coherence with the woofer and the stat panel, with the new digital crossover just made by Mr. Joe Vojko. It offers too a lof of fun to listen to any kind of music. Also it can be played a very high volume, and the sound is clean and crystal clear. They offers you the new ML magic sound, that it is different than the old type of stat panel. You have more highs extension and the bass is very deep and robust. Very warm with the strings, and heavy guts with the bass over all. You can play big orchestras and big dynamic classical works without any stress. Difficult desicion. Try the new products of ML, perhaps you like them too as I do. Of course that I do llike the old technology too. I am with ML since 86 and became a Costa Rica dealer since june 1987. Happy listening!!!

Hi everybody

I have the CLS II but one panel is very low so I should change the panels. Because of this, I listen with a Magnepan 1.6 at the moment. Very nice, but the Logan sound is still in my ears! So my question:
Would you recommend changing the panels of the CLS or would you recommend to buy a new Logan like the Montis. They have great reviews here in europe, but I never heard them.

Thanks for your advices.

Greetings Gerrit

I agree rebuild the CLS & get a pair of Subs.

maybe to late to be of use but:
CLSII's can be down in vol in one channel for several other reasons other than just the Stat.

My feeling is you should suspect the power supply first. Mylar usually doesn't fail catastrophically, but will drop off slowly...some of the early mylar would arc to the metalwork when it was on its way out.

1.first check the panel vintage (serial # decoders on site here)..if it is early 90's it could be old mylar most of which has been replaced with (last 3 digits)seven hundred series.... better mylar product Stats.
After about early 90's most of the mylar was good and would last ages with careful ownership. (keep clean and away from UV)

2. A good vacuum and maybe even a wash of the Stat can help if there is a big dust build up that is shorting out the mylar charge.

3. swap boxes and see what happens..if the fault follows the box I would first visually check the component board for signs of resistors overheating and going off value and then (the most likely suspect) the power supply module (these can and will fail with age)..they are cheap enough to replace (certainly compared with a Stat.) and the latest series are better than the early ones.

ps
If it were a CLS, I would check FIRST, the little IC that sits in a socket in the component line closest to the wood, 2 inches from the IEC socket. (I think it's function is part of the 'power down' when no music is detected) if it fails, it stays powered down. I was told it is an op-amp?..(honestly I don't know for sure and have never seen the circuit for this section of the CLS)..but they are cheap as chips and can/should be replaced proactively.
All this circuitry is within the power board on the CLSII series.
G

Last edited:
Back