Claritys made in China?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliemike

Reaction score
I just heard from someone that ML is making speakers in China now for the Best Buy?

Are the Claritys made there?

I just heard from someone that ML is making speakers in China now for the Best Buy?
Are the Claritys made there?

That would be quite interesting considering just the other day a video/podcast was posted about Wilson speakers refusing to do this.

I need to check my Clarity's but when I recently recieved my Vignette, I was surprised to see a made in China sticker on it.
Build quality and sound are still excellent. Haven't given it a second thought since.

I LOVE sales donkeys.

So what if they are? A LOT of well built cabinets are built in china for very cheap, keeping the price of the product down somewhat. The quality is no better or worse than doing it in the us. The lead time is just greater. The stigma of "made in china" from 10 years ago should be changing pretty rapidly. They are making a lot of really high quality stuff these days...and for a lot cheaper than we do it over here.

Besides, I think ML still makes their panels in the US, right?

I LOVE sales donkeys.

So what if they are? A LOT of well built cabinets are built in china for very cheap, keeping the price of the product down somewhat. The quality is no better or worse than doing it in the us. The lead time is just greater. The stigma of "made in china" from 10 years ago should be changing pretty rapidly. They are making a lot of really high quality stuff these days...and for a lot cheaper than we do it over here.

Besides, I think ML still makes their panels in the US, right?

From what I read, all ESLs are made in the US but some subwoofers and all ATFs are made in Taiwan or China

I personally toured ML's manufacturing site in Lawrence a year or two ago, so I have seen firsthand what is actually produced there. Yes, the 'stat panels are all made there - completely by hand as a matter of fact. The curving of the perfed metal, the stretching and setting of the diaphragm material - all completely by hand. What I saw being brought into the shop already manufactured - the wooden cabinets, the woofers and at least some already-stuffed and soldered XO/PS electronics. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but it seems that perhaps they do some XO/PS assembly/soldering there. But every single component is tested in Lawrence and they DO reject substandard materials (I saw rejected components) and they also conduct testing on every single completed speaker they produce. While it wouldn't surprise me to learn that some of the electronics are "assembled" in China, I don't think the actual components are chinese. I know the XO uses Bennic and Farad caps, which are German (I think). The PS does use some pretty cheap Luxon 'lytics (which may actually be chinese - I don't know). I can't recall where the woofers are made, but I don't think it is China (they did tell me where, but I don't remember). Bottom line for me personally is that from what I saw, I have no hestitation in saying that ML's are hand-made American products.

I can't recall where the woofers are made, but I don't think it is China (they did tell me where, but I don't remember). Bottom line for me personally is that from what I saw, I have no hestitation in saying that ML's are hand-made American products.

Not sure if this applies to the entire line of ML woofers, but I know that they outsource from Scanspeak.

Back