Clarity close to death?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakantonka

Reaction score
Hi
I’m a Swedish guy who’s keen to get the right symptoms on my panels.
They are from 2005. I’m experiencing a strange metallic interference in the left speaker, as of an unidentifiable instrument (only listening to classical) If the panels dying is that something to look forward to 🧐 or will the panel just fade away or die ?
I’m listening to streaming in a musical fidelity amp. Just as old
Is panelshifting something you ca do yourself?
Is it worth it or wiser to pay the double and get a complete new pair of esl ?

Hola Wakantonka,

All electrostatic speakers do funny noises once and den. You can find the exact point at the panel that this odd sound is coming. You can scrub with the aid of a brush, or vacuum the stat panel. Disconnect the speaker over night. The panels act like a magnet for small debris when are charged. This debris cause this odd noises. The debris are where the conductive layer is. This is, at the front of the speaker. Rub with the paint brush and you are done.

On the Clarity manual at page 19, you find this: ..."

A problem has recently developed with my MartinLogan speakers. The right speaker seems to be hissing even when the amplifier and such are not connected. I was wondering if this sounds like any problem you have encountered previously and have a simple solution for or might it be something which will need to be looked into more carefully.
Your speakers are dusty. See the vacuuming FAQ. The electrostatic charge on the element has attracted airborne dust or pollen. Since 1993, all of our speakers have been built with a charging circuit board that only charges the electrostatic element when music plays. At other times they are not charged and cannot collect dust. You can get the same benefit by simply unplugging them whenever they are not in use. A power strip is an easy way to do that..."

Happy listening!

Hola Wakantonka,

All electrostatic speakers do funny noises once and den. You can find the exact point at the panel that this odd sound is coming. You can scrub with the aid of a brush, or vacuum the stat panel. Disconnect the speaker over night. The panels act like a magnet for small debris when are charged. This debris cause this odd noises. The debris are where the conductive layer is. This is, at the front of the speaker. Rub with the paint brush and you are done.

On the Clarity manual at page 19, you find this: ..."

A problem has recently developed with my MartinLogan speakers. The right speaker seems to be hissing even when the amplifier and such are not connected. I was wondering if this sounds like any problem you have encountered previously and have a simple solution for or might it be something which will need to be looked into more carefully.
Your speakers are dusty. See the vacuuming FAQ. The electrostatic charge on the element has attracted airborne dust or pollen. Since 1993, all of our speakers have been built with a charging circuit board that only charges the electrostatic element when music plays. At other times they are not charged and cannot collect dust. You can get the same benefit by simply unplugging them whenever they are not in use. A power strip is an easy way to do that..."

Happy listening!

Thanks for replying
As I’m saving for a pair of new ones I’m concerned about what size would be most fitting to rectangular room 6*4m?
Is it an easy task to replace future dead panels?

Thanks for replying
As I’m saving for a pair of new ones I’m concerned about what size would be most fitting to rectangular room 6*4m?
Is it an easy task to replace future dead panels?

It is really easy to replace if you are handy building furniture like IKEA projects. I did it to my ML Vantages and had to take it apart to replace other parts as well.

Back