Center channel vs LR channels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKY888

Reaction score
I have 3 monoblocks, each running my LCR (c18 and classic 9).
When watching movies & TV shows, which one “stresses” an amp or make it warmer……the center channel or the LR channels?

The reason I’m asking is so I can place the amp working the hardest in the middle where I’ll place my AC infinity fan system. The thermal sensor of the AC infinity fan is also in the middle part of its unit. So I wana make sure that the amp that gets the warmest will be in the middle of the AC infinity fan system.

the AC fan system has 3 fans and I try to share all of them across the 3 monoblocks. But I want the one getting the warmest, be in the middle so it gets the most cooling.

thanks!
28EF8311-E276-467D-906C-86E3DCCC2018.jpeg

The center channel sees most dialogue, but L/R will probably get more effects. The L/R might get a bit warmer but honestly I wouldn't worry much about it.

The center channel sees most dialogue, but L/R will probably get more effects. The L/R might get a bit warmer but honestly I wouldn't worry much about it.

thank you!

I just want the amps to last as long as possible by not getting hot :)

The Center channel definitely gets the workout for movies.

And yes, cooling is important. So fans and other techniques to manage airflow/heat buildup are important.
Even with a dedicated equipment room with open racks and a 1-ton dedicated mini-split set for 70F, I still put fans on certain gear to ensure no hot spots. I lost an expensive preamp to heat, not doing that again.

The Center channel definitely gets the workout for movies.

And yes, cooling is important. So fans and other techniques to manage airflow/heat buildup are important.
Even with a dedicated equipment room with open racks and a 1-ton dedicated mini-split set for 70F, I still put fans on certain gear to ensure no hot spots. I lost an expensive preamp to heat, not doing that again.

yeah about 80% of the info goes to the center.

But I also thought…..more bass = more juice needed from an amp. My classic 9 has dual 8” woofers plus it has bigger panel size. So the electrostatic panel dips down to .8 ohm which also put load to the amp
With those 2 things mentioned, I’m thinking they’re stressing the amp more than center? No?

the center, although it receives the most info, it has a smaller electrostatic panel, and small 6” woofers

that’s why I’m kinda confused about this

With those 2 things mentioned, I’m thinking they’re stressing the amp more than center? No?
Possibly, but the load is split between two units/amps, and the low bass is sent to the subs, so not stressed on the low-end either.
The sensitivity rating for the Classic 9 (90dB) is good, indicating the XO is efficient, so not as stressful as say an older Sequel (89). But still, they are ESLs.

I'll pull out the FLIR infrared imaging attachment for my iPhone and take before / after shots of the various amps when playing a movie.

With 18 channels, none of the amps gets stressed much, and I keep volumes moderate due to tinnitus.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back