Cary SLI-80 + Sequel II

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

zee

I’m just curious if anyone has tried this combo and if they thought the SLI-80 had enough power to push the Sequel IIs. I picked one up with no real expectations just want to start playing with tubes :)

zee said:
I’m just curious if anyone has tried this combo and if they thought the SLI-80 had enough power to push the Sequel IIs.
It all depends on how loud you want to listen to your music, the dimension (and layout) of your room, and how far your listening position is from the speakers. I punched some numbers (40 wpc, triode mode) through this peak SPL calculator and saw that you should be able to achieve 96db at 12 feet away from the speakers. That's plenty for my taste. The Cary is a very sweet, little amplifier and should have no problem driving the Sequel II. I have its distant cousin, the AES SixPacs and am quite happy with them. IMHO, tubes are great with MLs, especially in the mids & highs. Enjoy.

Link to the peak SPL calculator:
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html#anchor_13193

Spike

Back