Broken Subwoofer?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltran

Reaction score
So, I finally got everything I need to hook up my system at my new place, and unfortunately the Depth i doesn't seem to be working! This subwoofer has never been used (by me, at least), so I don't know if it ever worked in the past.

It turns on, and appropriately goes to standby mode etc. Sometimes it even makes a little bit of a popping noise when turning on, but it doesn't seem to take any sort of signal. I haven't tried speaker level connections (I don't have the wire), but I tried using LFE input and L/R input with different cables, from a receiver that I know works, but the subwoofer remains silent. Also, of course, I've tried changing every setting on the subwoofer.

Any ideas?

Make sure the receiver is programed to send a sub signal. You may have to go into the menu and program it !

check the fuse

power surge or over driven sub can blow the fuse in the back by the power cord.

The receiver is definitely sending a signal to the subwoofer, and I checked the fuse. It has a little ball on the wire, which I've never seen before on a fuse, but it doesn't appear to be blown.

Last edited:
Feltran,

Sounds crazy , but make sure you have music playing that has the low bass notes. A lot of music doesn't have it. The patriot games sountrack has really deep bass notes, tracks 4,7, and 10. Maybe try turning the volume on the sub up and adjust the 25 hertz contol. I have a depth and really had to play around with the controls and placement in the room.

Cheers

A little more information:
While the subwoofer is definitely set to send a signal to the subwoofer, and I know the problem is with the subwoofer because I tried using the L/R RCA which I know work because my Purities are getting a signal, the subwoofer is just not receiving a signal at all.

If it's set to auto, and goes to standby, then when the music starts the Purites will switch to Active and start playing, but the subwoofer will stay in standby mode.

If it's set to auto, and goes to standby, then when the music starts the Purites will switch to Active and start playing, but the subwoofer will stay in standby mode.
I noticed that my Depth takes a fairly strong signal to kick on when it's in 'Auto'. So to avoid having it not come on when I expect it to be on, I just leave it in the 'On' position all the time ;)

I noticed that my Depth takes a fairly strong signal to kick on when it's in 'Auto'. So to avoid having it not come on when I expect it to be on, I just leave it in the 'On' position all the time ;)

I've tried switching it to "On" as well, I just added that tidbit to indicate that it seems that the subwoofer is not interpreting the signal at all. It's probably just like one loose wire or something inside, but it looks like I'll have to spend a fortune to ship the heavy thing to ML to find that out :(

depthi

no need to ship, call Jim Powers at Martin Logan and he will take you thru some test procedures to see what really is happening and if it something with the amp he can send you an exchange unit it is very easy to replace i have done it with great success. good luck and happy listening.

You should follow the setup explained in the manual, meaning that if you use the Pre Out from your receiver to drive the Purity you should add a splitter to those two cables. One set goes to the Purity like now, the other set goes to Line In on the subwoofer. Now the subwoofer receives exactly the same signal as your speakers, you dial in crossover frequency and volumen on the sub to taste.
Unless you know 100 % how your receiver works, do not use any Sub Out and especially not the LFE out from the receiver to the sub.
But yes, maybe it is defective like you say.

just a quick test...

Hola, just make this quick test. Turn the sub off, in other words, power off the sub. Unplugg it from where ever it is connected. Put any rca connector to the third rca connector input (lfe.1) counting from bottom to top. With the other end of this cable in your hand, turn on the sub, set the volume knob at the middle position and touch the tip of the rca. You sould hear a hum, a noise when you touch it. If not, then increase the volume to lets say at 3 o'clock position. Now you should listen the hum when touching the tip. If not, you do have a faluty sub!...but if you do get the hum, the unit is o.k. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Roberto, you're a genius! I had totally given up, but then I tried what you suggested and got a signal, and that motivated me to keep trying. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the subwoofer will only accept a signal under certain conditions. After finding out the subwoofer was in fact capable of getting a signal, I plugged it in again via LFE and still got no signal. Then, I plugged it in using the L/R inputs and got a signal, and then the signal went away. I unhooked, then rehooked it via LFE, and so far it's been working ever since.

Roberto, you're a genius! I had totally given up, but then I tried what you suggested and got a signal, and that motivated me to keep trying. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the subwoofer will only accept a signal under certain conditions. After finding out the subwoofer was in fact capable of getting a signal, I plugged it in again via LFE and still got no signal. Then, I plugged it in using the L/R inputs and got a signal, and then the signal went away. I unhooked, then rehooked it via LFE, and so far it's been working ever since.
It sounds to me like a case of "Intermittent Signal Recognition" (seriously!) by the Auto>On>Standby circuit. You can try pulling the AC power plug, waiting 20 sec. and then plugging it back in. This will re-boot the chip in the circuit and if that's the problem, it should self-correct.

If that doesn't fix it though, then there's a defect in the circuit or the relay it activates, and the board may have to go back to ML (but not the whole speaker :eek:) But now that you've had some response, you really should call or email JP.

Last edited:
Disregard my message if I am wrong, but I am baffled by the obsession with the LFE input.....unless you ONLY watch dvd´s, and dont listen to music.
LFE is a separate sound channel on a dvd or sacd multi channel audio cd for instance, and unless you are using these, and have the dvd player AND your surround receiver correctly configured you will get NO sound.....
Besides, with the LFE in on the Depth I the low pass filter is not active and cannot be adjusted. The surround receiver decides everything even though LFE is fairly standard at 120 hz.(?)
Now, for 2 channel mode, see page 9 in the manual, and then add a second rca to the LFE input if you want to use it with movies also.... as explained on page 11.

Nielsen, my subwoofer had I believe 80hz as the standard for the crossover setting, and it allowed me to set it as low as 40hz. Is there any effective difference between setting the receiver's crossover setting to 40hz, versus setting the Depth i's low pass to 40hz?

EDIT: I realize the Depth i's low pass can't actually be set to 40hz (it only has options for 35hz and 45hz)

Last edited:
30Hz, 35Hz, 45Hz, 55Hz, 65Hz, 80Hz are the low-pass settings on the Depth models.

If you're using it for music, keep the setting at or below 45Hz. Unless, of course, you like "hearing" the sub. I have a pair of Sequel IIs, and they reach fairly deep, so I can get away with using the sub as "seasoning" rather mainstay of my sonic meal.

Mine is set at 30Hz, Vol at 3.1, Phase at 180, 25Hz boost at 4db, fed from Pre to RCA jacks. Second set of line-out on the pre feeds the monoblocs which voids the hi-pass feature. All visitors love the tuneful and extended bass, even though my room is troublesome.

~VDR

Last edited:
Back