Break-in in 90db?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MUTZ57

Reaction score
So, having spent a bit of time listening to my ESL Impressions 11A, I finally get around to reading the manual and discover that the "break-in" period for the speakers is stated at 72hrs @90db ("moderate listening levels"), moderate........really, is this right or even practical / achievable, I generally listen at 70-75db so getting to 90db seems wrong somehow but this seems to be needed to achieve the full throw of the base drivers and work out the panels?

Even though I live in a detached property 90db is clearly audible outside and I need ear defenders to get close inside, am I missing something?

I work in the construction industry and anything 80-85db hearing protection is advised and anything over 85db hearing protection is mandatory, be interested in others experience and whether break-in can be achieved any other way?

I have had them playing for two weeks non-stop albeit at relatively low levels (55-70db) so would this be sufficient

Any advice appreciated!

I tried to run mine 24 hours a day but ended up short of that. But I was able to log 100 hours within a week. I played music from Pandora that was very soothing at night, and played jazz in the daytime.

And yes, I used 90dB as the volume setting for the early stages, then a little higher as 100 hours was closing in. You can use lower volume, it'll just take longer. No big deal.

I kept a running log initially. The link is: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?17989-New-13A-s-Arrived-Early!

Hola,
Basically, you do not need to play loud your new speakers. 70 to 75 is good. Perhaps the break in period will take a little bit longer, but I can assure you that the change is in the first 20 hours of playing the music. Any kind and at your preferable SPL or better say volume level. Just enjoy your new sound! I will not harm or make a difference using 90dB or 70dB. Your ears will not bleed at 70dB, that is the main difference.

Happy listening!

Back