Blu-Ray players that also play SACD & DVD-Audio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2thedu

Reaction score
I hope this isn't a repeat of a previous thread, I couldn't find one in the forums though. I am looking to upgrade from my current Blu-Ray player, LG BD300 ( I won this in a contest), to a unit that can also read SACD and DVD-Audio discs. The only one that I have come across so far is the Oppo BDP-83. I have tried to research this to come up with some credible opinions, but I wanted to know if any of you have seen anything else? Thanks.

The only other one is the Denon DVD-A1UD it costs $4500.00 dollars and it is highly debated whether it is 4000 dollars better than the OPPO BDP-83.

Several forum members have the Oppo and I think all of us like it. The DACS a decent, the dvd upsampling is tremendous and the Blu Ray is pretty much well Bluray.

On top of that Oppo has one of the best customer service reputations in the business and for what you get for 500 bucks, it is really hard to beat.

If you search the MLC forum using OPPO BDP-83 you should find some reviews of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the insight, that was very helpful! I really dont think that i will be shelling out the extra $4,000 on the Denon Reference player... I think that I would be more than satisfied with the Oppo. I just want to hook up one unit that does it all versus keeping my LG BD300 connected for Bluray, and reconnecting my Pioneer Elite DV-48 upconvert DVD player/ SACD/ DVD-Audio player. Plus this would be the first time that I would actually get to enjoy all that those formats offer, the last time that it was all set up was almost a year and a half ago, and I had a much lesser of a system at the time.

Also, look for the new Denon BDP-4010AU coming out this October. Only $2K.

I just got the Oppo, and although I haven't had much time with it yet, it seems to be a great player for the money.

Follow this link for info on the ModWright Oppo!

Spike

Looking at this, the Modwright at $1000 dollars plus the player may be the best way to go for SQ upgrade. When all is said and done I am guessing that the Modwright BDP-83 will go toe to toe with either of the high priced Univerval Players annouced at $3500 and $4500 bucks respectively.

I've got an Oppo-970 with modifications from Reference Audio Mods (RAM), and I'm very happy with it. Their web site says they're also looking into BDP-83 mods, so if you're not in a hurry you might want to wait and see what they come up with, too.

Dave, I think you'll like it, I'm liking mine. One of my favorite features is the speed at which it starts playing Bluray discs, opens the tray, etc. My Toshiba unit takes at least five times longer to do the same functions.

Back